Tyranid Steampunk; can it be done? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranid Steampunk; can it be done?

A long time ago, I was a dedicated bug player, focusing very much on nid-zilla lists. Man, I loved TMC's. I played through the last codex change, and never really gave much thought to conversions. Since then, though, I've moved on and started afresh with several other army lists, and the last few I've been going pretty crazy with conversions.

Then I hear that the Tyranids are being re-done, one of my all time favorite armies, and after that the Blood Angels - my first ever 40k army - are to be awarded a shiny new codex. I've had a few flicks through it, there's stuff I like, stuff I don't, blah blah - I'm not here about that.

My question is; now that I've discovered a passion for converting models, and being dragged into this whole 'steampunk' thing by those damned Skaven; has anyone ever applied it to the Tyranids? Personally, I think it'd be possible, though difficult to pull off well, and would look pretty damned cool. Not sure why it would happen fluffwise, maybe some crazy Techpriest or something. But bugs powered by boilers, pipes and valves - I can see it in my head looking pretty sweet.

And so, I come to you, faithful bugmen, with two questions.

One; Are there any pictures, conversion tips or other discussions online about this? I've had a nosey around, but I can't find much. If someone knows about a similar project, please push me towards it ^.^

Two; What exactly could be used from the bug list in a steam-punky manner? So far, I've bought my first troops choice - some Warriors - to be practicing on. I've made devourers all manner of 1800s guns, and the simple chainswords-talons swap; nothing dramatic. I've got a bunch of ideas for a Tyrant, maybe having a Mawloc with giant drills for arms, or something, Tyrannofex with a tesla coil, etc etc. I'm having trouble thinking up how Gaunts would work - the models are too small and too simple for any extensive conversion work; atleast from my inexperienced hands.

Any suggestions?

Quantity has a Quality all of its own - Josesph Stallin

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)
    Necron Army Building Maxima: Beware of Phase Out
    Tervigon Conversion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Similar, but they're, well, Orky - and that's a class of its own. I'm wondering if Steampunk bugs have ever been done before, but the general idea is the same =3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Hmmm... This sounds pretty cool. Rather difficult though.

I would say with the gaunts your best bet would be to take a bunch of cheap analog watches, bash the hell out of the them, and take out all of the cogs inside. Then slice big chunks out of their bodies and glue the cogs in there in a manner that suggests they are its inner working parts. Then you could attach braces of pistols to their arms for termagants and maybe some kind of chainsword as you said earlier or perhaps some guitar strings for weapons on the hormagaunts.

That's all I've got so far; I hope this works out!
    "All I know is a door into the dark" -- The Forge, Seamus Heaney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's actually a pretty cool idea. Not sure I get what you mean about the guitar wire weapons for the hormies, but I'll definately sign up to anything that has "bash the hell out of them" in the description. Especially when it's a good idea! =D

Edit; I've been advised to steer clear from metal models when I'm thinking about such heavy conversion - which sucks because I was looking forward to a Tyrant. But, with the new plastics, would using fex legs on a mawloc body work? I think they're out of proportion, but maybe it'll work when I plan on hacking the thing to bits anyway. Has anyone seen this tried yet?
    Last edited by Varlen; January 24th, 2010 at 23:24.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I would say no. Unless your Amazing with conversions.

You'd have to no use any models from the Tyranid line. Any Bio parts would kill the theme of the army. Also, other Armies would be much better starting points for a Steampunk Army (Necrons, Imperial Guard, Orks, Tau, Space Marines) and each one has the potential to have the play style that you'd want to use.
    Army's used: Space Wolves, Tomb Kings, High Elves, Tyranids, Tau and Eldar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a thought. The Tervigon is a massive bug which spawns Gaunts right? How about making something that looks like a mobile factory producing your mech-guants. Give it a giant boiler and metal legs and voila! I agree with one of the comments above about using the actual tyranid range. There is no way to make the models look all mechanical because of the weird bulges and obvious biomorphs. I like your idea but you'll probably have to make your own models that look like little mechs for Guants and bigger stuff for Warriors etc.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

How about running with a bio-mechanical spin on the steampunk theme? With some creative use of a knife and a drill, in addition to some mechanical bits and green stuff, you could make it appear as if the 'inner workings' of the bugs are mechanical but the outside remains organic.

Think the T-800 in Terminator.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shhhh. I'm making a mechanical tyranid army. Shhhhh. Here's pics to get your mind jumpstarted:
    Mechanofex on Twitpic
    Mechanofex on Twitpic
    Mechanofex on Twitpic
    Mechanofex on Twitpic
    Good luck!
    "LET'S COMMENCE PREPARATIONS FOR RUMBLING!" Mono-Tzeentch 1:1:1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by powerclaw View Post
    Just a thought. The Tervigon is a massive bug which spawns Gaunts right? How about making something that looks like a mobile factory producing your mech-guants.
    : D Manifactigon on Twitpic Manifactigon on Twitpic
    "LET'S COMMENCE PREPARATIONS FOR RUMBLING!" Mono-Tzeentch 1:1:1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast