Obominations - New necron unit idea - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

Obominations - New necron unit idea

I recently read about a necron unit called abominations. Although they-re not GW approved in any way they sound awesome in the custom fluff I heard. Basically it's a psyker who the necrons have disconnected from the warp. As a result his mind and body get warped like crazy and he gains the trubutes of a pariah except better and more scary. Then hes enhanced with necron bits.
    The rules I saw were the following, what do you think? Cool or what?

Abomination - 310pts

WS4 BS4 S7 T6 W3 I3 A3 Ld10 Sv3+

Special rules:
    Souless + Psychic Abomination + Fearless + Eternal Warrior

Soul Scream:
    The Soul Scream has the following profile:
    Soul Scream R24” Str7 AP2 Assault 1, Large Blast
    Note: The Soul Scream rolls to
    wound against its target’s Leadership, not its
    Toughness. The Soul Scream has no effect on
    vehicles. No invulnerable saves may be taken against
    wounds from the soul scream.

Warp Shield:
    An abomination has no connection to the warp and as a result is shielded from any warp based attacks, abilities, attacks or weapons that require a psychic test to use as well as any attacks from witch blades or singing spears do not effect an abomination.

The Void:
    The warp around an abomination is thrown into turmoil due to the sheer unnatural energy of the abomination. All enemy units within 6inches of the abomination at the start of the assault phase (even if they are in combat) must pass a leadership check, this includes fearless units. Any unit that fails the test suffers D6 automatic wounds with no saves around as their minds are sucked from their bodies and absorbed into the warp.

Necrodermis Implants:
    An abomination has many strange implants crafted throughout it's body increasing it's durability and strength beyond any normal human or even the most powerful necron. Aswell as the bonuses included in it's profile an abomination has a 4+ invulnerble save and the feel no pain special rule. In addition it's combat attacks ignore armour and invulnerble saves.

EDIT: Changed the point value and toughness added eternal warrior.

Last edited by shas_on_u; January 28th, 2010 at 16:47.
    Ye Old Necrons (R.I.P.) (7000pts) W52 D5 L9
    New Crons!!! (5000pts) W1 D1 L1
    Blood Angels (2500pts) W4 D0 L1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Sharp Cheddar IMO. No further comment.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

I agree with above, way to powerful for 285 points, this thing would eat any other named character for lunch.
    It has no negatives to it, what so ever.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

A Pariah-sized model with T8? That would be a no. T8 is something akin to a Wraithlord, and even then the Wraithlord has a few negatives to it. Be more realistic with your profile and you won't go too far wrong.

Rule of thumb: if you're giving him S10 anything, abandon the idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Blinks twice in surprise*

That is waay too cheap. The cost should be similar to a C'tan (probably closer to the nightbringer).

Here are my suggestions on how to make it "more balanced".

Leave the stats as is but change the following:
    Reduce the T to 6 but give it eternal warrior rule (against the annoying instant death weapons that requires no test).

I think the Soul scream is an interesting idea, that it uses Ld to wound rather than T. However, I'd run it like this (for fairness vs. named characters):

Change its S to 8, so its gives the named characters a fighting chance against it (Ld 10 guys would get wounded on 6+)

Leave the range 24" but make it a flamer template weapon rather than large blast (more fluffy). Leave as Assault 1.

Souless only modifies the Ld by -1 when models take Ld tests against soul scream and are within souless range.

It ignores both normal and inv. saves (cover saves are still taken as normal)

I'd keep warp shield as it is fitting for the abomination but get rid of void, that's a little too much when you already have soul scream, souless, fearless, psychic abomination, warp shield and necrodermis implants.

Just my 2 cents.
    Necrons W68-D13-L10 (3rd edition codex)
    Necrons W3-D1-L1 (latest codex)
    Skaven still being assembled

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Considering the fact that fluff says pariahs do not, by default, have any signature in warp the part of being "disconnected from warp" sounds just wrong. How can you disconnect from something you are not connected with anyway?

As for the unit itself: This feels like one of those game-breaker units which, if implemented, would force everyone to field it since going without is just too powerfull. Besides 285 points is too cheap for all that punch. I'd tone down the Soul Scream and/or The Void to make it either really, really deadly shooter with okay CC or really, really good CC with okay shooting. Being best in everything smells overpowered.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

Hey I didn't write any of the rules for so don't have too much of a go at me. Yes I agree it's underpointed but give it toughness 6 with eternal warrior and I think it isn't too harsh. And as for weakness how about it only having WS and BS 4. Aswell as I3. Most characters will hit it on a 3 and strike first. And only 3 attacks for 285pts make it pretty bad in combat for what it is and things like abbaddon will eat it for breakfast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by the_pariah7 View Post
    [snip]I think the Soul scream is an interesting idea, that it uses Ld to wound rather than T. However, I'd run it like this (for fairness vs. named characters):

Change its S to 8, so its gives the named characters a fighting chance against it (Ld 10 guys would get wounded on 6+)

Leave the range 24" but make it a flamer template weapon rather than large blast (more fluffy). Leave as Assault 1.

Souless only modifies the Ld by -1 when models take Ld tests against soul scream and are within souless range.[/snip]
    I don't think you've quite thought it through, putting aside the whole 24" range but it's a template weapon confusion (do you just mean make it a template weapon? Or a template you can drop within 24" of the user?), having souless as -1 to leadership would still mean you're wounding named characters on a 5+ with only cover saves possible. Also it would still be nasty if you bring along some regular Pariahs (if their souless rule remains the same) as you'd still be wounding all named characters on a 3+ as long as the Pariahs are around.

I would say leave the souless rule as it is, but just take it off this "Abomination" and remove some of the Pariah-ish traits it has but keep the strength 8 weapons that work against leadership. This would make it an excellent combination with Pariahs, as both units could support each other brilliantly and be devastating against units which normally have high leadership and toughness. The drawback would be the points investment and the relatively poor mobility of such a combo.
    I like the idea of such a special character, but I'd say it needs a fair bit of tweaking and I'm not a fan of pariah based characters. I'd be plenty cool with it if it was some kind of anti-psyker weapon developed before Pariahs were created, something which would be made more deadly in the presence of Pariahs.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Fail. Try again.

Basically it's a pariah who the necrons have disconnected from the warp.
    Uh, isn't a Pariah someone who has no warp presence anyway? How do you disconnect someone from the warp who was never there in the first place?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

sorry it's meant to say psyker who's dissconnected from the warp. My bad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast