Leech Essence + Perils of the Warp question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leech Essence + Perils of the Warp question

Hey guys, just have a quick rules question that popped up when we were playing earlier. My team-mate's Hive Tyrant used the Leech Essence power (the one that lets you regain wounds) and suffered Perils of the Warp. It was double 1's, so the power still went off - however, he lost his last wound. Does the power allow him to regain wounds before being removed as a casualty?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

A tricky question. I don't have the rulebook with me right now, but my guess is that the wound from perils of the warp are applied before the other effects of the spell, so in this case the tyrant would die. However, I'm quite sure that the true chain of events will be easy to concern from the rules on perils of the warp.
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We checked the rules, and unfortunately all it said was something along the lines of 'Note that a psyker who rolls double ones will still use his power, even if he is wounded or killed as a result.' And of course, since the use of the power would result in him regaining wounds...confusion:-\ In the end, we went with the same conclusion you suggest, but I wanted to see if we weren't quite right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Perhaps we have to wait for the FAQ to learn the true answer, but I'm quite sure the tyrant will get the wounds from perils before he gains any from the spell.
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Things acting simultaneous is already established by precedence of Initiative. In which case the tyrant looses and gained a wound at the same time, so he stayed alive because he didnt drop to zero afterwords.

Things not acting simultaneous is established by precedence of the shooting phase - you shoot with on unit and then shoot with the next.

If not Simo, then I would view the power as working in that it can wound and potentially kill, but the tyrant being dead he doesnt get any of the wounds.
    As of Tyranid 5th Ed. codex I have the Gaunts I wanted. I did, however, loose the sniperfexs I relied upon and they were more important then the gaunts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Things acting simultaneous is already established by precedence of Initiative. In which case the tyrant looses and gained a wound at the same time, so he stayed alive because he didnt drop to zero afterwords.

Things not acting simultaneous is established by precedence of the shooting phase - you shoot with on unit and then shoot with the next.

If not Simo, then I would view the power as working in that it can wound and potentially kill, but the tyrant being dead he doesnt get any of the wounds.
    With the perils roll coming before the unit has to save, I would say the result is that the tyrant dies, but the unit can still lose models from the power since the peril on 1s says specifically that the power still goes off.
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Yang View Post
    We checked the rules, and unfortunately all it said was something along the lines of 'Note that a psyker who rolls double ones will still use his power, even if he is wounded or killed as a result.' And of course, since the use of the power would result in him regaining wounds...confusion:-\ In the end, we went with the same conclusion you suggest, but I wanted to see if we weren't quite right.
    Great question.. I don't have my rule book with me either.. but if the power goes off even if you are dead (i.e. killed by the warp) and then you get wounds back (resurected by the power) you would NOT take the model off the table.

We actually have a precident (sort of) in the FNP rule. It's a failed armor save.. it's a wound.. and then you make a FNP roll which is NOT a save.. it's the ability to ignore a previously inflicted wound that WOULD remove the wounded model. The model's all ready taken a wound that would 'kill' it.

Keep in mind that removing a model from the table (even from POTW) is not necessarily because the model is dead.. it's because it's not capable of fighting any more (incapacitated, wounded too badly, had a huge web of spiny growth cover him etc.) The hive tyrant has an anurism while sucking life (POTW).. falls to one of his 'knees'.. (takes the wound) and then is re-vitalized and stands up charging back to the fray (regaining vitality due to the power working).

I think that if the model isn't removed until after the effect of the power goes off and the power gives you back wounds.. you don't remove the model.

-Dragons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What, exactly, does the rulebook say about taking the last wound? (I don't have one in front of me) Meaning, does it say something like, *As soon as* the model loses its last wound it is removed as a casualty, or something similar like, When the model loses its last wound, *immediately* remove it from the table as a casualty... or maybe... *at the end of any phase* in which the model is reduced to 0 wounds, remove it as a casualty (doubtful, because of how combat works)? Because it probably has something to do with the order in which things happen...

Which also begs the question: how did they word the FNP rule that Dragons mentioned? Does FNP step in as an *interrupt* to removing the model from the table... or as an *interrupt* to actually taking the wound (in which case he never REALLY takes the wound to begin with).

If you think of it all as a series of events triggering then the model would (1) reduced to 0 wounds and (2) psychic power goes off. Seems like it could be a matter of determining if the wording of taking the last wound makes the series of events look like this: (1) reduced to 0 wounds, (2) remove as casualty, (3) psychic power goes off... or ... (1) reduced to 0 wounds, (2) psychic power goes off, (3) remove as casualty... because, for the latter, he wouldn't actually have to be removed because he's not at 0 wounds anymore (assuming the power did enough damage).

Just throwing out thoughts.
    I'd personally really like to think he can live through a perils attack... but, judging from the nature of the game and other familiarities of the system that I can not pinpoint right now, my gut says he's dead. I can see it going either way... and even as an opponent to Tyranid, I would love to see the Tyrant live... because that'd be just plain cool, in my opinion. As if the daemon in the warp is taking the victim's wound as the Tyrant sucks it out of him through the warp... like some sort of 'warp wound tax'.

Warp Daemon: "Ye have to pay me toll to cross me warp!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

Yeah, quite a tough one. I'm along the lines of thinking that Zarathustra is correct that they both go off together. Plus wound ressolution isn't unti the end of the unit's phase (shooting).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

I belive torden is correct on this one, there are to my knowlege only 2 things in the game that can recover actuall wounds when dead, and both of them arnt actuall dead unitll after the roll (bionics and the necron lords psycliatry i belive its called) in this case the model is dead, period and so cannot recover its wounds.

Also supporting this is this from the BRB

"once a model has lost all its wounds, remove it as a casulalty..." this is instantainious, you dont wait to remove the model till the shot is resolved, it gets removed and the shot is fired at the same time.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast