Flechete dischargers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: are flechetes worth it?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

20 71.43%
  • no

4 14.29%
  • maybe

4 14.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Flechete dischargers

I've been experimenting with these wargear and they've done well (something about 2 dead assault terminators) but i want some 2nd opinions. The way i see it they're a cheepway to take a wound from a trygon or maybe kill a couple of orks.

There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Flechettes are worth it if you have the points. Most smarter players won't assault your fish that have them with their gribblies (smaller 1 wound low armor stuff) as they will take a lot of losses doing so. It wont usually stop better armoured or multi-wound stuff.
    - Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

Given how long ago it's been, are there really that many armies that would bother sending any wimpy mobs at a devilfish anyways? I can picture the nids, of course, and maybe the orks, but beyond that, wouldn't everyone else just have their little guys do little guy things like anything but antitank detail and let the big guns do the rest?

In my (very newbish) opinion, it seems like it would only see about as much use as a blacksun filter.

Well, probably a lot more use than that, but still... points that can go into more kroot or something...

Murrieta, CA around Torrey Pines and Margarita
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd field a Flechette Discharger if I was going up against low Toughness armies that for some RIDICULOUS reason assaulted your vehicles.
    The Greater Good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I think it's primarily dependant on your opponent. Their worth comes from the amount of wounds they can theoretically put on a unit, but this is dependant on the size of the assaulting unit. If you know your opponent isn't going to be fielding large units of assaulting troops then I wouldn't bother with them. If they do field such units then they can take much of the sting out of an assault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but would you use them in your 'take all comers' list?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I think they are worth it. They aren't as important as disruption pods, clearly, but if you've got the points, I say take 'em.

The reason is that it discourages assaults. Armies like Orks, Tyranids, and Daemons often rely upon assault to take down vehicles. Flechettes are murder against anything with a poor armour save. Even if you're talking about a unit with a 4+ save, flechettes are statistically going to wipe out 25% of the assaulting unit before they can even make the attempt to hit the vehicle. That's extremely potent.

Obviously flechettes are not as much of a discouragement for MEQs, but the threat is still real. And it's the threat that matters. Threats are what help control what enemies are (or are not) willing to commit to on the tabletop.

And with each successive MEQ codex, the assault phase is becoming more and more potent for them.

So between Orks, Tyranids, Daemons, and Marines ... yeah, I think flechettes qualify for all-comers lists. They are going to be useful more times than not.

About the only thing flechettes don't discourage are attacks from a limited number (i.e., just one or two) multi-wound/character/MC models. Flechettes aren't going to discourage a Space Wolf Lord or a Carnifex ... but you may get lucky and stick a wound on them anyway, just to annoy the piss out of your opponent.

If you only have 10 pts more to spend on vehicular upgrades, I'd be hard pressed to say whether you should get flechettes or multi-trackers. In today's climate, they're both really really useful. Since I see lots of assault-oriented armies (the bane of Tau everywhere), I've been favoring flechettes of late. But it doesn't mean I wouldn't like multi-trackers, too. I do miss them. I may even go back to favoring them over flechettes. It's a tough choice.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post

The reason is that it discourages assaults. Armies like Orks, Tyranids, and Daemons often rely upon assault to take down vehicles. Flechettes are murder against anything with a poor armour save. Even if you're talking about a unit with a 4+ save, flechettes are statistically going to wipe out 25% of the assaulting unit before they can even make the attempt to hit the vehicle. That's extremely potent.
    The other thing it will do is discouraging the horded masses from using an assault on a vehicle (even one they have no real hope of taking down) as an extra 6" springboard movement to get closer to your troops. This is a tactic I used quite a bit back when I was playing Tyranids. With 5th rules, given a decent run and a handy vehicle close by one could get an 18' movement, this obviously would mean the unit would have to have fleet, but still.
    - Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Like others here, I would tend only to take them if the points were available. However, when I do use the FDs, they will go on vehicles like Hammerheads who are skulking near the back line (therefore in danger of being assaulted by Outflanking troops), or else on a single Pathfinder Devilfish which I sometimes use for Tank Shock or some equally crazy aggressive moves. If a model decides to perform a Death or Glory attack using a close combat weapon like a powerfist or similar, then this too will trigger the Flechettes before he gets to take a swing, thus giving me a possibility of removing a dangerous model.

So yes, they have their uses. Against the Big Guys like Wraithlords and suchlike, it does give you a small opportunity to wound them too (before they rip apart the vehicle!!)

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

well, in the end the cheap stuff that relies on massed atacks such as ork boyz are going to feel the hurt, and the dischargers are easily payed for. with the other better armor stuff its a matter of weather or not your oponent wants to risk a big points model such as terminators. the fact that there is no AP in my experience often distracts them from the fact that you auto wound on a 4 no matter what; armor save or not thats a real danger (not like it woud stop me from charging assault terminators into it but still). with the new nids obviously big on assault, i think its totally worth it to try for a free wound on some of the bigger stuff (with all the mawlocs and trygons, you'll need all the wounds you can get).
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast