Need advise please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advise please

I was thinking about adding a nightbringer or a deceiver to my army and I was wandering which one might be more useful?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say the Deceiver, he's cheaper, got some darn'good abilities, and can escape combat! (and both of them are the best MC's you can get) - I never let him out when I want to play serious

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Deceiver hands down. Some people will say, well the night bringer has another attack, it's S10, blah blah blah. The Nightbringer gets stuck in CC, can BE assaulted, and get bogged down. The Deceiver cannot. With his ability to DENY any CC or LEAVE CC in the opponents next assault phase, he gets free movement basically plus cannot be SHOT at while hidden in CC then escaping! It's huge! Plus 60 points less means I bring another destroyer or whatever!

Deceiver is a powerhouse purely because he's so useful, mobile, and awsome. His higher initiative also means often it's hitting first.

Play some games with a proxy, you'll see what I mean. I've had my deceiver move near 24" of movement because of his escape CC 2d6 in opponents phase, move 6" then assault 6"...it's great!
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

I fully agree with the above posters: Deceiver all the way. While the Nightbringer is an awesome monstrous creature in itself, the Deceiver is so much more than that. It is a tool that will dictate the entire game and is so much better in a support role (which is what Necron armies need, rather than a monstrous creature just having fun on its own).
    Dark Trainer has done a good job of explaining while the Deceiver is even for himself more effective than the Nightbringer, but one must also not forget the Deceive and Grand Illusion special rules. The latter, for example, can be used to bait opponents into spreading their force. Depending on whatever other means of quick redeployment you have in your army (Monolith, Veil of Darkness, turboboosting jetbikes, etc) you can deploy a very serious and dangerous looking force on a flank from which you will then retreat entirely (Deceiver allows for redeployment of at least one unit) and thus leave enemy units deployed to intercept you there stranded. Just as one quick example.

But to be honest the reason for me posting is your nickname. If you want, feel free to join the LO Germany social group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nightbringer is more fear factor and deciver is better but the problem is 4+ saves anyone lands a wound on you you have over half a chance to lose a wound. Grrr sniper rifles i perfer use of a second necron lord over ethier they have philacrity and rez orb whats better than that for the army?

Also a necron lord with warsycth auto wounds and he is wayy cheaper but if you want to have one of these beast i would use deciver hands down as explained by Dark Trainer's good post "rep"
    Space marines 6 dread army Wins: 4 ties:2 Loses:7 Modified Standard nilla marines Wins:37 Ties:8 Loses 42 Daemonhunters Wins:3 Ties:0 Loses:1 Full assualt concept army wins: 6 Ties: none Loses: 2

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Archer View Post
    I fully agree with the above posters: Deceiver all the way. While the Nightbringer is an awesome monstrous creature in itself, the Deceiver is so much more than that. It is a tool that will dictate the entire game and is so much better in a support role (which is what Necron armies need, rather than a monstrous creature just having fun on its own).
    Dark Trainer has done a good job of explaining while the Deceiver is even for himself more effective than the Nightbringer, but one must also not forget the Deceive and Grand Illusion special rules. The latter, for example, can be used to bait opponents into spreading their force. Depending on whatever other means of quick redeployment you have in your army (Monolith, Veil of Darkness, turboboosting jetbikes, etc) you can deploy a very serious and dangerous looking force on a flank from which you will then retreat entirely (Deceiver allows for redeployment of at least one unit) and thus leave enemy units deployed to intercept you there stranded. Just as one quick example.

But to be honest the reason for me posting is your nickname. If you want, feel free to join the LO Germany social group.
    I TOTALLY forgot redploy. While better in 4th edition, it's still AWSOME in 5th if you go first. They then setup opposite you usually. Then I usually redploy at least one squad of destroyers or as many as possible to usually NAIL his tanks he tried to hide. And many times on their side armor no less Thanks for pointing this out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear quite some positive points about the deceiver. But I was wandering, do you still take a necron lord with orb or do you just hope that the deceiver will get all the high strength weapons attention?

Topic related: I would also chose for the deceiver. Though I own the Nightbringer model, it rarely use him because of some bad experience with him. Proxied the Deceiver sometimes and it realy was helpfull, the misdirect power can help him to move around the battlefield fast. The one less attack isn't that bad, because that way you kill less, making it more easy for the opponent to succesfully make his LD test and then you will stay in combat in his round as well. And finaly deceive can sometimes be verry funny, even beter when you can make a squad run of the board because of it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrassil View Post
    I hear quite some positive points about the deceiver. But I was wandering, do you still take a necron lord with orb or do you just hope that the deceiver will get all the high strength weapons attention?

Topic related: I would also chose for the deceiver. Though I own the Nightbringer model, it rarely use him because of some bad experience with him. Proxied the Deceiver sometimes and it realy was helpfull, the misdirect power can help him to move around the battlefield fast. The one less attack isn't that bad, because that way you kill less, making it more easy for the opponent to succesfully make his LD test and then you will stay in combat in his round as well. And finaly deceive can sometimes be verry funny, even beter when you can make a squad run of the board because of it.

This is a great question. Honestly, many people choose the Deceiver as the HQ and may choose to ignore the lord. HOWEVER, I do not. I find the res orb HUGE for keeping my phase out up for my warriors. It also depends on the points value of the game. 1k or less a Deceiver is kind of overkill, but the same could be said for a res orb not being as dire. At higher points games...my res orb is a must for me (although I always bring it) One of my most successful lists was the following (it's an 1850 list, but if you wanted 2k just add some immortals or something). I won 3rd place at a tourny with this exact list, which is abnormal for Necrons in 5th edition really:

Deceiver
    Lord+Orb
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    5 Destroyers
    5 Destroyers
    3 Wraiths
    Monolith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I saw that one while browsing though army lists searching for ones that contained the Deceiver. I made a simliar list:

Deceiver
    Lord+Orb
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    4 Destroyers
    4 Destroyers
    2 Monoliths

Using two monoliths makes sure that they both perform beter and gives more space to hide warriors behind it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For tournments i would use all the way down to basics if your going to try tournments ive had way more sucess without a C'Tun and i use a max of 1 monolith below 1500 points. Also i dont see any immortals in the list above. Using a lord is better than using a monolith imo since they changed that you could ethier fire or pull through. Lord has rez orb philaractey meaning you can come back with max of 3 wounds and warsycthe auto wounding.
    Space marines 6 dread army Wins: 4 ties:2 Loses:7 Modified Standard nilla marines Wins:37 Ties:8 Loses 42 Daemonhunters Wins:3 Ties:0 Loses:1 Full assualt concept army wins: 6 Ties: none Loses: 2

+ Reply to Thread