500pts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 500pts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500pts?

My local store has got a event over the next week where you can go in with 500pts and smash apart nids. I really can't figure out many options for necrons at this points level. I'm tempted to just take along something else (barebone guard with a few hellhounds or russ's could be amusing), but I'd like to give necrons a go.

AFAIK they're using normal force organisation charts, which means that right away 360 pts needs to go on warriors, with at least another 100 pts on the lord.

What can I do with the other 40 points? All I can think of is a single wraith, which I can't see doing much apart from adding a few attacks, a small squad of scarabs with pretty much the same use of wraiths apart from maybe a bit of a roadblock, or some equipment for the lord. Not sure what though. Possibly a destroyer lord to wiz around and try and take out any big creatures, so the nids go all instinctive or whatever.

I think the destroyer lord sounds like the best idea but I'm not sure. It will feel a bit alien to leave my squads truding around with no support at all.

Any advice anyone can give on lists and tactics at this level? Or should I just go with a different army completely?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Almost every 500 point Necron list will be 2 x 10 Warriors, Lord with Resurrection Orb. As you said, there are a few other options, but the jist of the list are those Warriors and Lord; you can't avoid them, so nearly every Necron list at that points level is identical.

I'd, personally, field a different army but that's only because I believe variety is the spice of life, and that's not something you can achieve with Necrons at such a low points level.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Current Necron Codex is a bit old a thus very much short on options and upgrades if you compare it to modern codexes... Thus at 500 points you are pretty much stuck with two necron warrior squads, lord and 1) Orb, 2) Squad of 3 Scarab Swarms, 3) 2 more Warriors or 4) something else. At 500 point level I'm not really *that* worried about power weapons so I just take a sqaud of 3 Scarab Swarms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    Current Necron Codex is a bit old a thus very much short on options and upgrades if you compare it to modern codexes... Thus at 500 points you are pretty much stuck with two necron warrior squads, lord and 1) Orb, 2) Squad of 3 Scarab Swarms, 3) 2 more Warriors or 4) something else. At 500 point level I'm not really *that* worried about power weapons so I just take a sqaud of 3 Scarab Swarms.
    True, power weapons aren't as common in 500pt games BUT I'd seriously advise against a scarab swarm. While they can be useful, they are too easy a KP for the opponent and in the event of a tie (objectives or whatever), KPs are the difference between a win and a loss.
    Necrons W68-D13-L10 (3rd edition codex)
    Necrons W3-D1-L1 (latest codex)
    Skaven still being assembled

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by the_pariah7 View Post
    True, power weapons aren't as common in 500pt games BUT I'd seriously advise against a scarab swarm. While they can be useful, they are too easy a KP for the opponent and in the event of a tie (objectives or whatever), KPs are the difference between a win and a loss.
    Hmmm... True. How about 2*10 Warriors, Lord + Warscythe + Nightmare Shroud?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

So the question you should ask yourself is, does this league stick to Forced Org chart at 500 points, or are they making exceptions? Example, my club is running an escalation league and started at 450 and up to 800 points we used patrol battle rules. Limits wounds on models, invul save models, only requires ONE troop choice, etc.

Else, if you're forced to use the chart...you don't have any flexibility really.
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    Lord
    460 Points

Question is what to spend your 40 points on? it's simple. 2 more warriors or get the orb. Done, case closed. They're your most potent option at this point value. Necrons really suffer in low points. No flexibility, especially with the Forced org chart plays out. You should approach the organizers and see if they'll consider changing the style of the 500 point to patrol battle style. Just a suggestion.

Now from the 500 points all I do is add destroyers up to 1000, just devastating! Imagine 10 destroyers in a 1k game...
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Trainer View Post

Now from the 500 points all I do is add destroyers up to 1000, just devastating! Imagine 10 destroyers in a 1k game...
    Did someone just order an extra-large can of whoopass?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has made me decide to just use something else. Thanks for the replys though guys.

+ Reply to Thread