TL on Hammerhead or MT on Devilfish? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TL on Hammerhead or MT on Devilfish?

I usually leave the optional vehicle wargear until the end of my list making to fill points and often I come across this dilemma.
    My HHs usually sit back and hit things with the rails but often units will advance within the HH's 18" range and it seems a waste of 6 BS4 str5 ap5 shots when the rail still has a priority.

On the other hand the Devilfish will inevitably encounter more enemies within this range with it's lone BC. I was also wondering how the DF's drones work. From reading the codex entry I'm assuming the following:

Drones can always shoot irrespective to how far the DF has moved but must target the same unit as the BC if it fires.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Drones on a Tau vehicle may shoot whenever the vehicle itself may shoot at least one weapon. And yes, the drones must always target the same unit that the vehicle targets.

So for a devilfish that moves up to 6", the BC can fire and the drones can fire. And if the devilfish moves more than 6", nothing can fire because the vehicle itself cannot fire.

Adding a multi-tracker to the devilfish solves that problem. Now the devilfish can always fire it's BC, and that means the drones may also always fire.

It's a pretty good deal.

Keep in mind that if the devilfish is shaken or stunned, it can't fire it's BC. And that means the drones can't fire, either.

A target lock is more handy on a hammerhead if you have a SMS instead of the BC. The SMS only costs you 10 pts more, but it's got more range than the BCs and you never have to worry about LOS with it. It also denies cover to most targets. Just line up your railgun shot as you need and take shots of opportunity with the SMS.

On the other hand, if you lose the railgun turret, having two BCs as the backup is slightly better because you get more shots, even if the range is less than the SMS and even if it can't deny cover.

So if you are scrimping for points and won't get a SMS on the hammerhead, I'd say the TL isn't worth it, either. It's only worth it if you have the SMS, too. In which case, you'll probably get more use out of the MT on the devilfish instead.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    Drones on a Tau vehicle may shoot whenever the vehicle itself may shoot at least one weapon.
    Thanks, after re-reading the codex it makes sense now.

I've never been sold on the SMS, I've taken Warfish before and they've never seemed to work for me. Not that it has anything to do with tactics but they're also visually deceiving; you'd think a weapon that comes in two pieces would at least be twin-linked, but who knows maybe they'll rectify this in the new Tau codex coming out (lol)

I can see the anti-cover rule for the SMS causing arguments with the whole 'unit touching cover that lies between them and the SMS' so I'll probably stick to something less ambiguous.

+ Reply to Thread