Fantastic Tyranid Deal? Or should I Pass? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Fantastic Tyranid Deal? Or should I Pass?

Hey Everyone,

I've been looking around on trading sights lately, trying to pick up some Tyranid to get a decent army started.

My finances are a little tight, so I'm hesitant about spending large amounts of cash to buy an army, unless I can resell some of it and get most of my money back....just keeping what I need the most.

My most recent venture would include the following for $175 Shipped.
    1x Biovore (assembled)
    1x Carnifex (assembled but no weapons, aka armless)
    11x Spore Mines (assembled, 8 painted red, 3 bare metal)
    6x Warriors w/ ST and DS (assembled and primed tan)
    9x Rippers (3 on each base, 5 bare, 1 primed tan)
    28x Genestealers (8 assembled with all rending claws) (12 assembled with all rending claws, painted red) (8 assembled but no arms)
    36x Hormagaunts (assembled)
    61x Termagaunts (44 assembled but no weapons, aka armless) (17 assembled, fleshborers, painted red)

Initially he offered me the above army + Zoanthrope, Codex and 3x Warrior NIB for $220. It looks to be the Equivalent of 3x Battle Forces + extra Stealers, Spore Mines, a Carni and a Biovore.

So, it looks to me like it's a good deal. I think I could sell some of it and hopefully get most of my money back, though I'm not sure if the assembled/painted stuff would sell for less on Ebay.

Also, I do have the following Tyranids from a previous trade.
    1x Carni
    1x Hive Tyrant
    1x Broodlord
    3x Warriors
    12x Termigaunts
    12x Hormogaunts
    5x Gaunts NIB
    8x Hormogaunts on Sprue that I just won off Ebay.

Thats it. Should I drop everything and go for it? Or is it just a "so-so" deal..and I could probably get another one like that if I wait long enough?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done my far share of welling and dealing, moving between armies, and using eBay so I will try to offer some advice.

As you know and most in the hobby have accepted it is quiet an investment to start a new army. I would suggest...

- using vassal for a few games to test models without purchasing immediately.
    ~ Nothing worse than beating your actual list with a bunch of very cool theoretical lists.

- Build a variety of lists. By doing this you might find a combination irresistible, but you also may find that none of your prospective models or current models are in this list.

- Painted models go for less than NIB, or unpainted sprues on ebay.
    ~ Metal models are very easy to strip the paint off of so never be afraid to buy painted metal, or strip before selling.

Some of my thoughts. If you want to get in the army, have the money, and the models are in good condition go for it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Just from the perspective of cost for the actual models on offer: it's a deal.

But if you don't end up using those models, it could potentially be a big waste of money. I know I wouldn't intend to use nearly that many genestealers or hormagaunts. I wouldn't use any of the rippers. I wouldn't be using the spore mines or the biovore. Not that those units can't be made useful in the quantities listed in one or more army lists. They're just not army lists I intend to build.

Caveat emptor.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Well, the question isn't so much is it the army I want, as it is "Can I sell some or Most of it and Make most or all of my money back"

So, I would like to do one of two things.

1. Sell most of my the models (i.e. the ones I don't really want) and get the "investment" that I put into it Back.
    (i.e. If it's $300 worth of models that I sell everything but say the Carnifex and Biovore, and get $175 or more...then I'm basically getting 2 models for free)

2. Sell everything and make a decent profit. Again, I'm not sure how much the stuff will sell for on Ebay, but it seems like it's more than $175. So again, if I were able to sell all of the models for say, $225, then I would make a $50 profit.

Ideally, I would like to do option #1, probably keeping a little bit of everything and getting most or all of my Investment back. I really want to start a Nid army, but right now finances are a bit tight...so I really couldn't justify it unless it's a fantastic deal that doesn't come along that often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Anyone else have any opinoins? I would think that out of 150 views from Tyranid players, a few more people would have an idea if it's a good deal or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Just in case this helps anyone, I got some pics here.

Looks like the Tyranids have all their arms and extra weapon upgrades. Everything is pictured except the Hormagaunts.

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/t...n523/tyler.jpg

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/t...3/tyler003.jpg

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/t...3/tyler002.jpg

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/t...3/tyler001.jpg

I would love to get some more opinions on this, but I think I'm going to go for it, though my finances will be a bit tight until I can resell some of it.
    Last edited by Darkzephyr; February 24th, 2010 at 15:19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Personally, I don't like the deal.

It's mostly because of all the armless models, and don't think you can sell armless models on Ebay (been there, it doesn't work).

Biovores and spore mines got shorted this codex, and don't think you'll be able to sell those either (no nibbles here either).

I never buy primed models, as something can be hiding underneath. For example, damage to the model or layers of paint!

There is no need to rush, really, just grab a codex and sit down with it. Plan what you REALLY want, since even the battleforce sets will have you ending up with unused pieces.

I'm tight myself, but it's not stopping me from building my Nid force. Just take your time, buy a brood or two each month, and aim for a working 1000pt force to start.

If you want to go the route of buying from people, buy the models naked and make sure they come with all their parts (attached or on the sprues).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Didn't you see the photos? I posted photos to show everyone that there are Arms and plenty or other weapons/upgrades on those sprues. Basically, it looks as though it's practically new...someone just began to assemble and paint some of the models. I'm fine with getting second hand models like that, since it's going to save me a lot of cash and I can put a little work into making them fit my needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Sounds like you've already made your decision . Generally to start I try to aim for a nice, usable 500pt chunk, this is so I'm not overwhelmed by the amount of painting I need to do first, and it isn't too expensive either. Of course with this deal you're getting...considerably more than that. Just be careful that you don't overwork yourself trying to paint the unpainted ones. Other than that, it's your money, so..yeah.
    +++XENOS SPOTTED+++ thrilling battles within the Vitorina subsector: http://xenosspotted.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im looking to unload my 4e nidzilla.
    2 tyrants, 5 fexes, 6 raveners, 3 zoans, 2 tyrant guards, handful of genestealers and guants and alot of rippers.

pm me if your interested.
    leave the moderating to the moderators

if pro is the opposite of con, does that mean progress is the opposite of congress?

+ Reply to Thread