Painting! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Painting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painting!

Hey guys I'm finished my list now for my scheme, I am not a great painter, but I don't want to just drybrush my whole army boltgun metal. I was thinking maybe I wanted to just paint the metal areas boltgun and make my armor a dark blue colo. Maybe Ultramarines Blue? Primering black, painting metal boltgun, and painting blue just sounds pretty simple to me and I was wondering if there was anyway to turn these colors into an actual scheme... or if this simple scheme would work even though it is 3 or 4 colors and primer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once you apply shading, highlights and detail it will be more colours, and look more impressive. Really depends how far you want to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but what colors do I use to shade?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

These are mine, they're blue hued metal. The secret...
    > Base coat chainmail or boltgun (depends on the darkness you want)
    > WASH with GW's Asurman Blue (Twice to darken)
    > Drybrush with chainmail
    > To your details, eyes, chest emblem, etc whatever color you want.
    > Done.

Doing this method worked great for me for 2 reasons. First, SUPER easy to paint! Second, using washes instead of 'painting' gives the recessed areas shadow and depth which really increases the effects.

The washing effect really does work well, mine look less dark blue because of the flash in the camera photo, but also because I drybrushed the chainmail back on multiple times, I only wanted a blue 'hue' to it, but if you didn't drybrush so heavy, you're effect would be fine.

Last edited by Dark Trainer; February 16th, 2010 at 16:40.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF i didn't do a wash but instead did ultramarines blue after spraying black and boltgun would it still look pretty metalish?

EDIT: oh nvm ill just do a wash it looks pretty cool. What color red/orange is that?
    Last edited by Alzer; February 17th, 2010 at 00:26. Reason: Double Post

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by mitchm1024 View Post
    oh nvm ill just do a wash it looks pretty cool. What color red/orange is that?
    Blood red, however the ones that look orange are because it was red on dark color, I would paint like WHITE under it, then red (that's what I did later) to make it pop more. Also washed those sockets so it's not just the dot..

And yes you could use a standard paint. Then highlight or drybrush with a metal but in my opinion washing is so much easier and gives you the depth from shadowing and false light.
    Last edited by Dark Trainer; February 16th, 2010 at 23:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is awesome, but i was actually asking about the color because i liked the orangish tint

EDIT: Also, after blue should i drybrush chanmail if i want it blue? or skip that
    Last edited by mitchm1024; February 17th, 2010 at 02:18. Reason: Double Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Mitchm1024,

Please do not double post. This is against forum policy. If you would like to add information to a post, please use the "Edit Post" feature, icon located in the bottom right corner of your last post (the little pencil one).

Thank You,
    Alzer

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by mitchm1024 View Post
    That is awesome, but i was actually asking about the color because i liked the orangish tint

EDIT: Also, after blue should i drybrush chanmail if i want it blue? or skip that
    It's your call. Washing it will leave it shadowed but no natural light from the raised sections. However, if you don't want it as light as mine do a very 'light' drybrush. If you want it lighter you can always drybrush more. Can't do it the other way

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

I'm a big fan of Dark Trainer's Necrons. Like him, I've also used the red rods which can be a great way to make your army stand out from the crowd. Here's a picture of my (non-metallic) Necrons. Colour scheme is very simple, just basecoat white, two washes of Gryphonne Sepia, then paint Bleached Bone on the armour plates.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast