Army without XV8's - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army without XV8's

I was just wondering if you could have a successful Tau army that doesn't use any XV8's expect for the Commander and his bodyguard?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

IMHO. No. Not at all. To do so is to sacrifice about the only source we have of high-strength/low-AP weaponry.

Don't do it.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you mean plasma rifles? or does that include missile pods and fusion blasters as well?

Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Without Crisis suits you are basically limiting your firepower to STR4/5 and STR10. In a take-all-comers army you need a variety of weaponry. Crisis suits are your only source of long ranged, STR6/7 multi-shot weapons which makes them versatile enough to kill vehicles, MCs and they are moderately effective against infantry. Of course, this differs depending on the load-out, but suits with missile pods and whatever else you prefer tend to be the most effective. If you want to be competitive, you need crisis suits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

XV8's are also great for a good twin linked flamer/mpod platforms. I love em, use em every chance I get.
    - Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thanks for the advice

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Having no evidence or experience to back this up, I'm kind of wondering if it would be possible.

(I'm also rather tired today so take that in to account if I say anything stupid...)

Yes it would be a rather limited list and probably wouldn't fare well against certain builds, but it could be a bit of fun.

If you took a hefty amount of pathfinders, a whole bunch of seeker missiles (on Devil-fishes and perhaps Piranhas?), and plenty of hammerheads, you might be able to compensate for the lack of XV8s. Maybe not entirely, but you might get close. I guess the only way to see if it works is to try it!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

It still wouldn't work. Seeker missiles are single use weapons and you can only get 2 per vehicle. To make the most use out of them you would need 2 fire warrior squads with markerlights and devilfish, plus 2-3 pathfinder squads with markerlights and at least 1 sky ray. That's a minimum of 18 + (2* number of piranhas).
    But in order to make it work you still have to hit at BS3 then hit at BS5, that's a 42% hit rate on a single shot weapon that you are relying on for most of your firepower.

There is a reason everyone uses Crisis suits, and that's because they are the only unit that can perform in their high strength/low AP role, seeker missiles can aid them but cannot replace them as they do not have the versatility, reliability or sheer volume of fire.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

absolutely. in fact many succeseful lists don't include them (including a couple of mine). they are a large help in most others though. i usually run a torch squad with an MP a flamer and 1 twin-linked flamer. however i beleive M.O.M sums it up best, without them you give up a large amount of versitile fire power.
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do all you use them for?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast