Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Yes, the title is a veiled parody of Grax's threads.. But otherwise, this is nothing more than an observation. Particularly, about the effectiveness of one of the Ork's most insidious pieces of wargear, the Deff Rolla, when used against the new Codex Tyranids.
In the past.. I've often wanted to use my Deff Rolla against my foe's TMCs.. Which against Carnifex's would (and still does) stupidly amount to nothing more than suicide. However, with an influx of new MCs, and a new 'standard' statline.. I'd say it's not only viable, but in most cases actually quite effective!
Now, before I continue, I'm not advising anybody to rely upon Deff Rollas to deal with TMCs.. but I've crunched a few numbers, and I figure if you've got a Battle Wagon or two sitting around with nothing better to do.. why not do the Orky thing and charge headlong into the lumbering behemoth of stompy-death with a giant spikey steam roller?
The majority of TMCs in the latest 'dex are S6 T6, including the Hive Tyrant, Swarmlord, Tervigon (though S5), Tervigon, Mawloc, and Tyrannofex. When Tank-Shocked, these TMC's will suffer an immediate d6 Str 10 hits, automatically pass their morale test, then decide a) to move out of the way, or b) to attempt death or glory.
If 'a' then there are a few important things to be noted, as this does not sound particularly effective otherwise.. Most TMC's are screened by one or more broods of lesser Tyranid bioforms, which will undoubtedly not attempt DoG, but will still suffer a few casualty and be moved out of the way. The latter is the important consideration - you can effectively squish your way through the TMC's screen, allowing you to deliver an assault directly to the TMC.. rather than using your momentum against said screen, and being charged by the TMC in return. You've also got a fair chance to inflict one, or with a bit of luck, two or three wounds on the TMC before the charge.
If 'b', the TMC instead takes 2d6 Str 10 hits. The TMC gets an immediate attack against your front armour (AV 14) that automatically hits. This is not as scary as it sounds, and there's a fair chance the Tyranid player will be baited into thinking his odds are better than they really are (for the first few times this is employed, anyways).
Here's the numbers (vs Tyrants, Trygons, Mawlocs, and T-Fex)
Str 6 + 2d6 vs AV 14 will result in....
- an impressive 58.33% chance to fail to penetrate
- a 13.89% chance to inflict a glancing hit, of which there a varying degree of possible outcomes...
- Without Armour Plates, and at least 1 Weapon = 33.33% chance to immobilize or stun
- Without Armour Plates, and with no Weapons = 50% chance to immobilize or stun
- With Armour Plates, and at least 1 Weapon = 16.67% chance to immobilize
- With Armour Plates, and with no Weapons = 33.33% chance to immobilize
- and a 27.78% chance to inflict a penetrating hit, which admittedly is much more likely to immobilize, stun, or destroy the Battle Wagon.
- Without Armour Plates, and at least 1 Weapon = 66.67% chance to destroy, immobilize, or stun
- Without Armour Plates, and with no Weapons = 83.33% chance to destroy, immobilize, or stun
- With Armour Plates, and at least 1 Weapon = 50% chance to destroy or immobilize
- With Armour Plates, and with no Weapons = 66.67% chance to destroy or immobilize
It's still a bit risky.. but the odds are sincerely stacked in your favor! Under worse case scenerio (no Armour Plates, no Weapons), you've got a 69.91% chance to outright destroy the TMC if it attempts DoG, and under the best case scenerio (With armour Plates, and at least 1 Weapon) you have a 83.80% chance to outright destroy them!
Against Tervigons and Harpies (Str 5), the numbers are much more in your favor, with a 72.22% chance to avoid a glancing or penetrating hit, an 11.11% chance to be glanced, and a 16.67% chance to be penetrated.. resulting in (worse case scenario) an 80.56% chance to outright destroy them, and (best case scenario) an 89.81% chance to outright destroy them. Which, in any case (DoG or not), a single successful wound from a Deff Rolla will instagib a Harpy (if you can manage to catch one that is...)
And that brings me to my next and last point. Against The Parasite, Tyranid Prime, Tyranid Warriors, Zoanthropes (and Doom), Lictors (and Deathleaper), Venomthrope, Pyrovores, Shrikes, Raveners, and Biovores.. all multiwound Tyranid units.. every Deff Rolla wound inflicted will instagib a model, which depending on the unit can either wipe them completely, or seriously soften them up for you prior to charging them!
All in all.. this is a very long post explaining why.. By Gork's right thumb, I love Deff Rollas!!! I can't wait to see the look on my opponents face when when he prepares to absorb my charge with his Tervigon + counter-attacking Termagaunts.. only to see his Tervigon go KERSPLAT after a failed DoG, and by consequence lose every single Termagaunt brood within 6". In essence, next time (and every time after) I face off against my 'Nid friend.. I'm bringing as many Deff Rollas as I possibly can!
I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!
I must concur, deffrollas are absolutely fantastic. d6 strength 10 hits is useful against absolutely anything. There isn't a situation where they'll disappoint.
Just don't risk the BW against a Carnifex, that wacky critter will break you, old school! But to put it more eloquently he hits at strength 9, and on even a fairly poor roll he'll glance, with the highest likelihood that he'll penetrate. Still, he's quite expensive, and the battlewagon is probably fairly inexpensive, so if the battlewagon isn't gonna do anything else, go ahead and charge!
+++XENOS SPOTTED+++ thrilling battles within the Vitorina subsector: http://xenosspotted.blogspot.com/
I don't know if anybody here keeps up with another forum called, "Da Waaagh", but Rombo over there has posted a link to the Spanish GW Ork faq...wait for it....DEFF ROLLAS WORK ON VEHICLES!!
so nice I said it twice. sorry
It's true! If you go to the Games-Workshop site, enter a Spanish country, and make your way to the erratas, there's a 2010 Ork FAQ, and at the very end it specifically states that deffrollas work on vehicles!
I assume the English translation will be on the site as well very soon.
Finally! That's how it reads, but nobody could believe a Land Raider isn't invincible. Silly humies!