Noob to Eldar - having trouble with whirlwinds - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noob to Eldar - having trouble with whirlwinds

I'm experienced to 40k, but new to Eldar and having trouble with whirlwinds. They are Eldar killers!

I currently have a small army. I generally run two Farseers, Fire Dragons, Howling Banshees, a couple of DA groups, pathfinders, and Dark Reapers. It is only about 1250 points and all on foot. I have the following unassembled models: three wave serpents, two more squads of DA, a squad of gardians, a group of seven scorpions, five hawks, and three walkers.

In all my games so far, whirlwinds are my greatest challenge. They kick my butt due to my lack of mobility. I know I need to build the serpents and turn the fire dragons loose. But, is that the best method to deal with this bane? Should I put a BL on the serpent and go that route? I plan on getting some prisms, is that the best way to go?

You see, it has been a long time since I've played a S3/T3 army and it has its own built in challenges.

Thanks for any help...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My recommendation, mount everything in a Wave serpent. Whirlwinds cannot harm any Eldar tank. From there, Dragons or EML should do the trick against them.
    If you call it a Missile launcher, then it'll never hit anything.

100% of people who aren't Karmoon know Saraneth is invincible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

The mech route is the easiest and most likely to work. The other ideas I would have is go wraith, as the whirlwinds just don't hurt them that much and you would get saves, down side to this is the fact that wraith is not very competetive. Other route to take is build around a reserve outflank/deepstrike list. show up round two with most of your stuff with alot of it hopefully being able to see and shoot the whirlwinds.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Saraneth View Post
    My recommendation, mount everything in a Wave serpent. Whirlwinds cannot harm any Eldar tank. From there, Dragons or EML should do the trick against them.
    Rear Armour + Ordinance Barrage = Damaged Tank (if the scatter goes in the right direction). It's unlikely to damage an eldar tank - you'd need AV12 all round to be safe - but it can happen. I'm not saying it's not the best bet, but don't go thinking your tanks will always emerge unscathed.

As most of the Eldar has a 4+ Save stick to cover - they can't deny you both saves at once.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

I'll throw into this whole "mech is the best solution to all life's problems" but just this once. Your war walkers could also provide some support, Whirlwinds have terrible armor, so a volley from four scatter lasers should vape them pretty soundly Sending fire dragons against a vehicle with a max AV of 11 is wasteful, as is burning bright lance shots against them. Outflank a pair of scatter-laser warwalkers and pour death into their side/rear armor, your fortune should increase drastically, and this tactic should kill anything short of a Leman Russ with ease.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    Rear Armour + Ordinance Barrage = Damaged Tank (if the scatter goes in the right direction). It's unlikely to damage an eldar tank - you'd need AV12 all round to be safe - but it can happen. I'm not saying it's not the best bet, but don't go thinking your tanks will always emerge unscathed.

As most of the Eldar has a 4+ Save stick to cover - they can't deny you both saves at once.
    Dont ordance blast count always hitting the side armor?
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the comments.

Two things, first I've intentionally slowed the building of my serpents to force me to learn how the army works before going mech. I think the walkers will have to be assembled next to give me some range weapons to help the reepers and pathfinders. So far I've learned to love fortune, doom, and guide.

The second thing can be expressed in the immortal word of that great philosopher Homer Simpson, "DOH!" I've not used or faced a whirlwind much in all my hears of playing this game. I relyed on my opponent and he told me that the whirlwind was S5, AP4, no cover saves allowed. Well, shame on me as I now know that it can either deny me cover saves OR armour saves, but not both.

Eventually, I will try the mech aspect of Eldar, but for now, I'm loving the challenge of building my army around farseers and aspect warriors.

Thanks everyone for your help...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ericismyname View Post
    Dont ordance blast count always hitting the side armor?
    Yes sort of - my mistake, I was thinking about ordinance counting the direction the blast lands on as the side of the vehicle it would hit, but of course unless the hole is over the tank (in which case it'd hit the side armour) it's hitting at half strength and can thus do sod all.

What's the side armour on a wave serpent? I usually hit them with demolisher cannons so it's a moot point for me

Quote Originally Posted by 25below View Post
    I relyed on my opponent and he told me that the whirlwind was S5, AP4, no cover saves allowed. Well, shame on me as I now know that it can either deny me cover saves OR armour saves, but not both.
    To be precise it's either S5, AP4 or S4, AP5, No Cover Saves.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    Yes sort of - my mistake, I was thinking about ordinance counting the direction the blast lands on as the side of the vehicle it would hit, but of course unless the hole is over the tank (in which case it'd hit the side armour) it's hitting at half strength and can thus do sod all.

What's the side armour on a wave serpent? I usually hit them with demolisher cannons so it's a moot point for me

To be precise it's either S5, AP4 or S4, AP5, No Cover Saves.
    Thats what I thought, no biggy. and my bad i meant to say ordance BARRAGE, not ordance blast.

And the side armor is 12 and the energy field works on the front and side armor from shooting.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that you know you always have that 4+ save I think you'll be ok. Your best bet, as with any ordinance, is to sit tight and send something to slag it. Flanking is a beauty and a small squad of Warp Spiders deep-striking will also help immensly. This unit can come in behind it and destroy it or if its dead already you can strike somewhere else. S6 is just so versitile.

I understand your aversion to Wave Serpents. I myself shameless mechanise my eldar and even take out all my tanks and line them up to spook people before a game. 6 Skimmers at 1500 pts is surprisingly scary for people who aren't used to it. If you own any Serpents (you should since one comes in the Battleforce) then mount your Fire Dragons (if thats what you meant by Fire Hawks). They are absolute garbage on foot with their 8" range. In a serpent they are a serious threat to any unit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast