Venomthropes..?? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Venomthropes..??

i really do not get how venomthropes are useful, correct me if im wrong they grant a 5+ cover save to other units, right??

Can you guys please tell me how you use vemonthropes in your army and other tactical uses for them? thanks guys!

the 5+ seems kind of a waste of points...

Hive Fleet Reaver (W/L/D) 23/4/2
    http://hivefleetreaver.webs.com/ <== Help build the NEW Tyranid forums!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Venomthrope is a defensive unit. It'll grant a cover save to any friendly unit within 6 inches, even MCs. Cover is a bit hard to come by that'll give them the 50% coverage they need, afterall.

Plus, it grants them defensive grenades, taking away the enemies assault bonus attack plus forces any enemy coming in to take a dangerous terrain test.

And finally, the things have Lash whips and 2 2+ Poisoned attacks at S4.

So, all in all, I'd use them if you have some valuable MCs that you want to get up the board in one piece, or some large shooters that you want to protect a bit from potential assaults.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kheiron View Post
    The Venomthrope is a defensive unit. It'll grant a cover save to any friendly unit within 6 inches, even MCs. Cover is a bit hard to come by that'll give them the 50% coverage they need, afterall.

Plus, it grants them defensive grenades, taking away the enemies assault bonus attack plus forces any enemy coming in to take a dangerous terrain test.

And finally, the things have Lash whips and 2 2+ Poisoned attacks at S4.

So, all in all, I'd use them if you have some valuable MCs that you want to get up the board in one piece, or some large shooters that you want to protect a bit from potential assaults.
    but they only grant 5+ cover saves, right?? any invulnerable??
    Hive Fleet Reaver (W/L/D) 23/4/2
    http://hivefleetreaver.webs.com/ <== Help build the NEW Tyranid forums!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    572 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog24 View Post
    but they only grant 5+ cover saves, right?? any invulnerable??
    Cover saves can be taken like invulnerable saves against shooting attacks. Just because it ignores armour, doesn't mean it ignores cover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have played with them a few times. The defensive grenades and dangerous terrain test help great against assault armies (such as orks or other guard) and they are a good way to give cover saves to Trygon sized models. My only real problem with them was keeping that many things within 6 " of them was disastrous against pie plates and other firepower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use a group of 30 termagaunts (sometimes led by a dual-bonesword-toxinsack alphawarrior) with venomthropes and a tervigon with catalyst as support in the center of my army going straight for the enemy and everythig else flanking left and right. against anything shooting that isn't s6 (and ap1 or 2 of course, but who shoots at gaunts with those weapons) or more and doesn't ignore cover, these guys have an equivalent to a 3+ save. last game they got shot at by 20 necron warriors led by a lord with veil and they lost 5 guys (!!!). in 2000 points i field 3-5 monstrous creatures and 80-140 little bugs, so the enemy has to direct his antitank against my monstrous creatures and his antihorde against my hordes. in 6 games my venomthrope never got shot at (i started fielding only one and it survives unharmed every time). i love this guy even if he takes up a valuable elite slot, he is always worth it.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

they are very good. I use them to provide cover save for my MCs and my hormaguants who are given FNP at 20 strong . It works wonders .
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Why don't your opponents just shoot the vemomthrope first? Its not like they're that tough, and you can't hide them really with true los...
    You?! No!
    --Famous last words of Asmodean

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SlayerofAsmodean View Post
    Why don't your opponents just shoot the vemomthrope first? Its not like they're that tough, and you can't hide them really with true los...
    Hopefully you are threatening enough that to take shots at your venomthropes puts your opponent in a difficult quandry. Sure, they probably could slaughter the venomthropes relatively easily. But if doing so gives units X, Y, and Z a free turn to get closer ... would it really be worth it to do so?

In a vacuum, venomthropes suck. But used properly, and in the right context ... they are immensely useful force multipliers.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

number6 hit it dead on and i am smart enough to hide my venomthrope behind an MC. I have a hive tyrant and a very very large squad of 20 hormaguants with toxin sacs to multi charge you and make your devestator squads or what not and even your plasma/ melta squads in chimeras useless next turn with supporting hive guard if you wish to shoot the venomthrope first, if you can see it.
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast