Wych cult or Dark eldar warriors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wych cult or Dark eldar warriors

Hello, I have been trying to decide about how to build my dark eldar army and have made two possablities:

Wych cult: All wyches on raiders and ravengers for heavy

Or using wyches just as elite, but instead using dark eldar warriors with some heavy weapons in each squad as troops.

Why would I not choose wych cult? Dark eldar warriors seem like portable guardsman, is there any reason NOT to take wych cult? Responses are welcome, Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would always support any DE player to go with a wych cult army, being a wych cult player myself that is. I like to get up close and personal. I love the look on my opponents face after they have lost an expensive unit or HQ to a squad of wyches (priceless). It takes a lot of practices to get them into assault as quick as possible without losing any troops, but once mastered, watch you enemies tremble with fear.

You need not ask which type of army or troops you should be going for, the question is, what type of playing style your prefer. If you like to rush your troops into assault as soon a possible then I would recommend wych cult but If you prefer a hit and run tactic and like the idea or 30+ Dark Lance shots flying at the enemy, then kabal is for you. That's not to say that a kabal army can't be a very effective CC army.

The problem lies if you want that happy medium army....then I would go with a kabal army (as they have a lot more HQ choices) with some amazing HQ set up and 3 strong squads of wyches.

You need to decide on what playing style you would prefer to play first before posing the question about what troops to field or army setup to go for.

And remember, I takes a lot of pain and suffering before you learn how to successfully use your army, DE are very different to all other armies out there, that's why I love them so much.
    Last edited by syaoran; March 2nd, 2010 at 09:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would depend on what kind of playing style you prefer more combat or more shooty, I like to shoot so I'd say the warriors w/ dark lances and raiders.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

In reality warriors with elite wyches is the best setup for a DE army as warriors are an extremely good troops and come with dirt cheap weapons (no matter which ones you take) and need not even use a raider if you buy a raider squad. They can afford to sit on an objective all game not move because they are cheap enough to let you do that.

On the other hand wyches as troops is an extremely double edged sword - yes they are powerfull and being troops means loads of them, but an assault unit that costs 14 points a model (never leave home without plasma and wych weapons) holding back to claim an objective is a terrible waste, though they are monstrous at claiming objectives deep into enemy territory.

Out of the 2 builds the wych cult is more difficult to play as it takes the concept of "all or nothing" to the extreme and leaves very little margin for error but is very potent on the offense.
    Last edited by The_Outsider; March 2nd, 2010 at 19:36.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

I too belive that a Kabal may be a better bet.

The current meta-game favors shooting, Kabals have more "shooty" selections and the troops are cheaper. Using wyches to shoot with is a waste and they are more expensive meaning less scoring units. I would say to start with a Kabal list for now and just add wyches as you get more comfortable with them.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Outsider has it right.

The Kabal is not better then the Wych Cult, just different.

It is harder to use the wyches because it is a serious waste of potential and points to hold an objective on your side of the field with them. As an elite unit in the opponents objective they still count as contesting, so they still work out even if they dont actually capture objectives. Denying your opponent his objectives, while holding your own with Warrors is more my style.

Wyches generally just rush their entire army down the throat of the opponent, and then on the last couple turns decide if they want to board the opponent or try and do an objective rush.

So Yeah, I go with Kabal, but on a purely fun level, the Wych Cult must be played at least once every 5 or so games. They have got to be the funnest army to win with, and sometimes lose with.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

I personnaly play Wych Cult and have had my fun in massacering or being shot down at leisure.

On the point of grabbing objectives: you can always add 1 footslogging wych squad which enters combat from reserve. By then most of the wyches will be in combat and this squad can easily claim your objective or be picked up by a spare raider to claim an objective elsewhere or join in the combat.

But I must admit that is is a hard type of game.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by El_Jairo View Post
    On the point of grabbing objectives: you can always add 1 footslogging wych squad which enters combat from reserve. By then most of the wyches will be in combat and this squad can easily claim your objective or be picked up by a spare raider to claim an objective elsewhere or join in the combat.
    I've done this too and it works just fine for me. When you outfit a wych squad for close combat with all the trimmings on a raider its always hard to have to bring one back just to claim the objective inches from your board edge. With some cheap foot wyches coming from reserve they can just walk to the objective while all the mounted wyches are forward keeping everyone busy. I found it true that the opponent really does not consider those foot wyches in the back field when they are busy with the ones on their doorstep.

My most memorable incident using this technique was when I was playing a Salamander army with Vulcan about a year ago. Vulcan and his squad had their Land Raider popped by a reaver jetbike blaster and had to trudge to my objective. My reserve wyches got there first easily and took refuge on the 3rd floor of the building (objective on the 2nd floor). Vulcan had his entire squad killed off before getting to the building with the wyches. It took 2 rounds of shooting but the wyches finally got through his invul. save with their blaster and insta-killed him (vulcan did make it to the 2nd level!). The wyches did not have plasma or wych weapons but I will always keep those blasters! I was also able to keep the opponent busy, contested his objective while I held mine for the win.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krayduk View Post
    The Outsider has it right.

The Kabal is not better then the Wych Cult, just different.

It is harder to use the wyches because it is a serious waste of potential and points to hold an objective on your side of the field with them. As an elite unit in the opponents objective they still count as contesting, so they still work out even if they dont actually capture objectives. Denying your opponent his objectives, while holding your own with Warrors is more my style.
    Your second sentence contradicts your first sentence :p

I play both Kabal & Wych Cult, since I have an insane amount of models, I can even go for 6 troops + 2 HQ squads.

Wych Cult is truly harder to play, it only has one style of offence (ok maybe 1 and a half)
    It's mainly agressive cc, it can (but doesnt' have to) be a little bit shooty.
    So you have lots of cc, with or without some big guns on the side.

A Kabal has more units and more possibilities, you can go full shooty, or close to full cc, similar to Wych cult, maybe more powerful.
    2 incubi squads + lords
    3 wych squads
    3 talos
    This is just more powerful than having 8 wych squads with 2 wych lords, the choice above is also more polyvalent.

A Kabal is just more polyvalent and it can deal with heavy armors and big tanks a lot easier than a Wych Cult.
    Taking objectives is obviously easier when you shoot from far while having you warrior in cover, instead of just keeping your wyches near the objective or try to kill anyone around the objective and then grab it.

I start playing when DE just came out, so I spend some time playing just Kabal, then the second edition came out, but I didn't immediately play Wych Cult, I just didn't have the models for it.
    I had 3 wych squads (30 wyches) for a very long time, I couldn't really go for full Wych Cult, but a few years ago I bought mroe wyches and even converted 2 100% Wych Lords (no more using my Kabal lords as Wych lords anymore)

Now I still mostly play Kabal due the the fact I can be more creative, but I still go for Wych style when I feel like it.

I'm pretty sure your loss ratio is also heavier when you play Cult, it's clearly a veterans army, or at least a harder to use army, I know it from experience.

+ Reply to Thread