Tervigon explosion+coversave - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tervigon explosion+coversave

I lost my first Tervigon in battle today and came across this situation.

I had a small 7man termagant brood hugging the tervigon around its base when it died, and when it dies as we all know it explodes causing dmg to all termagants within 6" of it.
    Here's how we interpreted it, because the "damage" originates from the tervigon the termagants other than the 7man squad hugging it recieved a 4+ coversave because of the fact that the "blast" traveled through a squad. The same argument goes for if the gaunts affected are in area terrain or have terrain obstacles between themselfs and the tervigon.

Anyone come across this yet?

And if the concensus is that it's allowed, having a small grp of gaunts hugging the tervigon is a great way to shield the others should it "explode".

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I count it more as a 'feedback'. Its not a shooting attack, so no cover saves. All gant units within 6" take 3d6 hits, just hope you got catalyst off on some of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's not an explosion, it seems to me more of a physic whiplash from the effects of Brood Progenitor. After all, it'll only effect Termagaunts.

And as it's not a shooting attack, and the rules clearly say 'Every Termagaunt brood, spawned or otherwise...immediately suffers...' I'd say that every Termagaunt brood, spawned or otherwise, within 6" is going to get mighty hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kheiron View Post
    Yeah, it's not an explosion, it seems to me more of a physic whiplash from the effects of Brood Progenitor.
    I think that is right. The benefits of Brood Progenitor aren't considered to be like a psychic shooting attack that benefits your units. You don't have to take cover saves or anything like that for your units that may be helped by Brood Progenitor. The same applies to the downside of all the babies dying with the psychic feedback and you get no save.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at it this way. If it was a physical tervisplosion why would termagants only get hurt? This leads me to believe it is a psychic connection between the two type of units that hurts each other when severed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And yet their armor can protect them from it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's probably a way to make it less overkill instead of killing half the models hit outright. But if you want to pretend it's an actual explosion then go ahead and make armor saves for all units within six inches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Yep, the same way armour makes them not run away from an enemy. (The fearless test)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gatstein View Post
    Keep in mind the game mechanics are rough estimates of the circumstances of reality. They aren't an exact cross over (obviously) and are done in such a way to give an approximation.

Armour saves aren't indicative of the simple "Hey, got shot in the chest, but my vest stopped it, I'm ok", it encompasses all physical means and possibilities of avoiding otherwise fatal damage, such as flesh wounds, dodging and everything up to tripping over your own feet.

In this case, the 'Armour save' of the Termagaunts could simply be the means of calculating roughly equal odds. I.e., Termagaunts have a ~16.6% chance of avoiding the mental damage from a slain Tervigon...so instead of them making up a ruling saying "Roll a dice for every wound, negate them on 6" they can simply let you take an armour save. Same result.

Hell, it could even mean that the synaptic feedback actually causes the Termagaunts brains to swell, and their cranial armour is the only thing stopping their heads from exploding. Successful armour save means the head armour was strong enough not to rip apart.

Maybe the feedback is an actual physical hit, but only transmits to units under Tervigon control, as a sort of selective telekinesis result.

...anywho, like I said. The rules aren't an exact duplicate of the intended real world situations. They're approximation to allow such things as epic sci fi battles with aliens to be played on a tabletop.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Gatstein View Post
    It is similar with the Doom of Malan'tai. It sucks out people's life force, the don't get an armour save but they do get invunerable saves. A Space Marines energy field or very tough Terminator armour would be bypassed by the Doom's powers. Though things like Eldar runes may not be. It is like Khieron said, what happens in the game is an appoximate version of events.

I remember the old days of 2nd edition 40K, (you may too) it far more picky over these issues. One example was the lists of things Tyranids and Daemons were immune to or affected differently by. The lists were huge and both lists actually contradicted each other which lead to untold bickering. At times it may of been a little more real but it took so long to look up so many tiny technical rules that literally nobody could remember them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast