How do you use your marker tokens? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member starfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    blackbird leys, oxford
    Age
    29
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    16 (x1)

    How do you use your marker tokens?

    Up your BS or strip that cover?

    Hey everyone, i've been trying to figure out what is the best use for marker tokens, upping BS, striping cover saves or a mix of both. I have been experimenting myself to try and find out but my regular opponent passe's his cover saves like they are wearing termie armour (basically never fails them lol) here is an example of the situation im trying to figure out.

    10 assault marines have just deep striked 12" away from 12 firewarriors and 2 XV8 helios suits, with the usual nasty upgrade's, by means of a drop pod (and the cowards are now hiding behind it so are getting that hated 4+ cover save). You also have 3 XV8 fireknives 20" away, and you just scored 5 marker tokens on them (the average for me as I have 2 units of 5 pathfinders)

    My question is, what would YOU do? up BS to all 3 units? if so who gets the BS5/BS4? do you strip the cover save to 0? maybe a 6+ with added BS? do you combine BS uppage aswell cover stripping? The best I can come up with is upping all 3 units to BS4, and stripping the cover save down to 5+ for both plasma weilding units, but like I said the guy i've been trying this out with passes his 5+ cover saves without breaking a sweat, so im having trouble deciding what to do in a normal case scenario (IE against an average person who actually fails some of there cover saves lol)

    Thanks to anyone who replies

    -Starfire

    Last edited by starfire; March 9th, 2010 at 16:02.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    I am a free man! number6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The Village
    Posts
    4,941
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    ReputationReputation
    786 (x8)

    The only point to using markerlights is to make it easier for you to destroy an enemy unit. Pick the unit you want dead and light it up. Then just focus fire on it until it is dead.

    Generally speaking, it is more important to score wounds than to worry about cover. Spending tokens to reduce cover isn't so useful if you don't score any wounds to begin with.

    So always start by giving yourself the ability to score the maximum number of wounds possible. Only then would I consider reducing cover with any leftover tokens.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

  4. #3
    NCIS fan MaleOpener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Langhorne, PA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    818
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

    As a SM player, I'd say your opponent is ... *cough* cheating *cough*.

    Only 'wrecked' vehicles can provide cover, and the drop pod counts as 'immobilized/can't be fixed' when it hits the table.

    Not to mention, with the sides down (open topped) it won't block your LoS.

    However, try not to fire at the pod, if it has a weapon. If that is destroyed, since the pod counts as 'immobilized', then the pod is 'wrecked'.



  5. #4
    Senior Member starfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    blackbird leys, oxford
    Age
    29
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    16 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by MaleOpener View Post
    As a SM player, I'd say your opponent is ... *cough* cheating *cough*.

    Only 'wrecked' vehicles can provide cover, and the drop pod counts as 'immobilized/can't be fixed' when it hits the table.

    Not to mention, with the sides down (open topped) it won't block your LoS.

    However, try not to fire at the pod, if it has a weapon. If that is destroyed, since the pod counts as 'immobilized', then the pod is 'wrecked'.


    I dont understand what you mean? drop pod drops in front of you about 8" away, disgorges 10 assault marines, who quite smartly exit via the back, (if there is one lol, basically they get out of the side thats not facing you because they know they cant assault you........this turn) this means that when you target the assault marines your shooting through the drop pod, giving them a 4+ cover save. If that dont count then crisis suits JSJ from behind hammerheads dont work either, and i like that working.

    @number 6, I do agree that upping BS is a priority, espcially when you say to a marine player 'hitting on2's, killing on 2's' (plasma killing goodiness) but its not so fun when you say that, then Mr marine player say's 'Aaah but on a 50/50 i survive' (stupid 5ed cover rules nerfed one of the only 2 points to playing tau, 1, firepower, 2, mobility, 5ed rule's for cover screwed our firepower over and now every 5ed codex screws our mobility over, great ain't it?). You still didn't answer what you would do in that particular scenario, although im guessing from your responce you would up the XV8's to BS5 and the firewarriors to BS4 right?

  6. #5
    I am a free man! number6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The Village
    Posts
    4,941
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    ReputationReputation
    786 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by starfire View Post
    @number 6, I do agree that upping BS is a priority, espcially when you say to a marine player 'hitting on2's, killing on 2's' (plasma killing goodiness) but its not so fun when you say that, then Mr marine player say's 'Aaah but on a 50/50 i survive' (stupid 5ed cover rules nerfed one of the only 2 points to playing tau, 1, firepower, 2, mobility, 5ed rule's for cover screwed our firepower over and now every 5ed codex screws our mobility over, great ain't it?).
    If you believe that, then you must also believe that absolutely every 40K army has been similarly nerfed. For example, IG like to shoot, right? Most of the time, their targets get 4+ cover, too.

    This is the way the game is. You have to account for that in your list-building and your tactics, no matter what army you play.

    For Tau, taking as many armour-denying weapons as is possible in your list is paramount. This is the best way to inflict casualties. This is 5th edition 40K, so always assume your target will get cover. Having a 50% chance to kill something is better than having a 33% chance, yes? Give yourself as many 50/50 shots as you can muster. Weight of fire. Roll as many dice as you can. Make your opponent roll as many dice as you can. That makes for the most predictable results on both sides of the table.

    The more dice rolled over the course of a game, the less likely streaky results will effect your outcome and the more likely you'll see results that match up fairly closely to the statistical averages. If you do this, you can build your list and tactics around those statistical averages.
    Quote Originally Posted by starfire
    You still didn't answer what you would do in that particular scenario, although im guessing from your responce you would up the XV8's to BS5 and the firewarriors to BS4 right?
    Yep.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    10 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    If you believe that, then you must also believe that absolutely every 40K army has been similarly nerfed. For example, IG like to shoot, right? Most of the time, their targets get 4+ cover, too.

    This is the way the game is. You have to account for that in your list-building and your tactics, no matter what army you play.

    For Tau, taking as many armour-denying weapons as is possible in your list is paramount. This is the best way to inflict casualties. This is 5th edition 40K, so always assume your target will get cover. Having a 50% chance to kill something is better than having a 33% chance, yes? Give yourself as many 50/50 shots as you can muster. Weight of fire. Roll as many dice as you can. Make your opponent roll as many dice as you can. That makes for the most predictable results on both sides of the table.

    The more dice rolled over the course of a game, the less likely streaky results will effect your outcome and the more likely you'll see results that match up fairly closely to the statistical averages. If you do this, you can build your list and tactics around those statistical averages.

    Yep.
    While you are right about us not being the only ones affected by the cover rules, I must insist that Imperial Guard have the added bonus of some high strength low AP no coversave weapons. They even have some 2D6 to pen ordnance things. Tau also have some things to help, though. Markerlights are a great way to ease the cover save issue. Sometimes you don't even need to use them, with all this MEQ around. They usually match or beat any cover save, provided you don't use a low AP weapon (and we really don't have THAT many for this to be a huge problem).

  8. #7
    I am a free man! number6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The Village
    Posts
    4,941
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    ReputationReputation
    786 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesystem View Post
    While you are right about us not being the only ones affected by the cover rules, I must insist that Imperial Guard have the added bonus of some high strength low AP no coversave weapons.
    And mostly, those weapons aren't very useful against vehicles. Which means they have to shift that responsibility off to other units if they take these weapons.

    Meanwhile, our high strength/low AP weaponry (i.e., plasma, missile pods) are useful against both vehicles AND infantry. We don't have to shift responsibility. Our units can be as flexible as we like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesystem
    Sometimes you don't even need to use them, with all this MEQ around. They usually match or beat any cover save, provided you don't use a low AP weapon (and we really don't have THAT many for this to be a huge problem).
    Plasma forces MEQs to use cover or no save at all. Plasma is the solution! And we DO have "THAT many" for this to matter. But you have to buy them, obviously! If you don't buy them, you're hobbling yourself unnecessarily.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    24 (x1)

    Drop Pods do provide cover if it is between the firer and the targets. If they built drop pods with open doors and empty inards, oh well stinks for them.

    I would always raise your BS first and foremost. IF you will have tokens left over after that then by all means.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts