Termagaunts vs. Hormagaunts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Termagaunts vs. Hormagaunts

I'm currently trying to decide which type of gaunt to place in my army. The army would be 2,000+ pt. gaming. The gaunts would be in two units of 30. My first thought was to place them near a venomthrope, however I'm concerned that the hormagaunts will outrun the 6" range. I'm curious which are more effective. I like the speed of the hormagauts, and the extra attacks (three total, right?) in CC. But then again, they are all at Str 3. Just curious what everybody thinks. -Jay

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like horms personaly, but i also run a CC list when i play, i use a winged hivetyrand and Zoanthropes in spores to provide synapse downfield so the horms dont run out of range, and with that many attacks things die, even plague marines, but id run them in boods of 20, more scoreing units, and i like to give my hormaguants toxin sacs so they can tackle anything thats not cased in metal.
    It is my sacred duty to save your soul from the Dark Gods of Chaos... and I willsave your soul, even if you die in the process.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally I like termigants. the shooting although not great still manages to do well for me. They are cheaper then hormigants and when paired with tervigons they actually excel better in combat. IMO

If your going to take a combat unit I suggest vanilla genestealers. Fairly cheap and twice as effective IMO

Yukon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use both. Hormagaunts with toxin sacs are good at tieing up some units but should not be relied on to do the killing. You will lose a lot in combat even if you win. Termagants are really bad at shooting and should not be used primarily for that reason. Vanilla termagants running with a tervigon with toxin sacs are lethal and excel in combat. Don't charge out of the tervigon's six inch range and lose the shared abilities. You have counter attack. A combination of feel no pain, poison weapon, and counter attack is nothing to ignore. Asuming you have a large number of termagants with these abilities, which you should because of the tervigon, a large number of attacks will kill anything without armor given time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x2)

i'll just pipe in to sing the praises of devgaunts - just using a small unit of these (10 or 11 is how many i've managed to fit in a game so far) gets you a tervigon into the troops allotment, is largely ignored, so they'll maybe lose one or two guys to shooting. the amount of times i've seen people's jaw drop when my 8 surviving termagants(its always 8 for some reason..) spit out 24 shots into a unit is priceless. I'm definitely cutting up all my spinefist termagants and changing them into devourers

hormagaunts i've found are a handy little one-shot weapon essentially. they often smack into a unit, cause pain, but get butchered almost immediately. at 160pts (i run my unit of 20 with toxin sacs) its hardly a bad thing, but i really prefer my units to be a pain in my opponent's side and to stick around to cause them mroe grief in following turns, so i'll be dropping them for now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

I favor basic gaunts and tervigons. Upgrades like toxin sacs and adrenal glands from the Tervi pass on to the gaunts near him which I found can be a huge deal. I face armor a lot in my games so that +1 strength on gaunts charging vehicles can actually do something. Going first before marines is priceless and can actually drop a few. Gaunts are just cheaper and potentially more effective.

I'm looking at using gargoyles instead of hormagaunts since they move a bit faster and their upgrades only cost a point!

+ Reply to Thread