Biovores, worth takeing? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biovores, worth takeing?

hey i have a 1000 pt game comming up and i was thinking of takeing biovores, i have 3 of the 3rd ed models and i love em lol, also i like the idea of some long ranged support to rain on objectives or w/e but i wasnt sure if thier ever really worth the points as i never see anyone using them, or talking about them for that matter.

It is my sacred duty to save your soul from the Dark Gods of Chaos... and I willsave your soul, even if you die in the process.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on what you're fighting against. They'll decimate Hordes but you'd be better off using harsh words with Marines or Mechs.
    They also suffer from IB - Lurk so you have to keep some Synapse over them or they end up near useless.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biovores are a tough unit to use effectively, you need to sacrifice a synapse unit to make them useful and you still only get a str 4 template.

Give them a shot and see how they work for you is the best advice I can give you. Run a single unit of 3 in a game and see how it pans out for you, its not a huge point lost even if they fail. On the upside you still have a chance to pin something even if you don't kill anything which is bonus.

Yukon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

last game i used 2 of them just to try them out and they were amazing. i played against guard, they didn't get shot once and took out 5-15 guardsmen per round (use 1-3 squads of sporemines and deepstrike them into HIS area terrain).

i am also going to try hiding them behind my hive tyrant (with guards), as their shooting is assault. that way they are always in synapse. or is that illegal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

They are a mixed bag. Improved over last edition, which isn't saying much. The handful of times I've used them they've not done a single thing. Play them and see how it works out for you. Against armies who field a ton of weak troops in large blocks they can do well. Other than that though, I haven't seen em do much.

Now that they are assault you can move and shoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have run Biovores a number of times in my army lists. They are excellent at taking out Ork, Imperial Guard, and Tau infantry. They are very effective against horde armies or armies with lots of AV 10 open tops like Orks and Dark Eldar. They do a good job of punishing your opponent for clumping his troops. However, they are not very effective against Marines or anything else that gets a 3+ save. The best advice I can give you is take them if you know your going up against swarm armies. Otherwise, the only way to make them effective is to use them in a ranged combat Tyranid list.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Biovores are one of only three units in the codex that I know I will never ... NEVER use. Not because they can't be put to good use, but because in my analysis ... they don't actually bring anything to the table that is unique enough to be worth employing. ALL they can do is kill infantry at range. Well, the tyranids have a LOT of ways to accomplish this. There is nothing really special about indirect fire or ordnance because, IMHO, there will always be a healthy contingent of 'nid units that will WANT and NEED to get close to function properly. Dropping ordnance barrages from range on just infantry doesn't mesh with what I think 'nids need overall. I don't think you can build a stand-off-and-shoot 'nids army effectively. That is the IG's, Tau's, and even the SM's and Eldar's specialties.

Also, I have always hated the models. Yuck! YMMV, of course.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well to follow upto this i fielded 3 of them in a 1000 pt game today, played against SM, they netted a few kills, 3 or 4 through out the game. they drew some fire a few turns into the game once my opponent saw 3 large blasts falling into his troops, over i thought they played ok, kept a zoan near them for synapse and it was ok, ill probaly field them more, against a non marine opponent they seem like they could crush infantry and even pin things as my bugs swarm down the field but seem more like a possable "turtle" of a unit late fame when i have units tied up downfield.
    It is my sacred duty to save your soul from the Dark Gods of Chaos... and I willsave your soul, even if you die in the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    I don't think you can build a stand-off-and-shoot 'nids army effectively. That is the IG's, Tau's, and even the SM's and Eldar's specialties.
    Believe me: Eldar can't afford to stand off and shot: their main weapon is 12" so they need to get up and close. They could decide to stay back and use their long ranged weaponry, but they would be using 1/3 of their potential.
    - Just love that maki! -

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kheldar View Post
    Believe me: Eldar can't afford to stand off and shot: their main weapon is 12" so they need to get up and close. They could decide to stay back and use their long ranged weaponry, but they would be using 1/3 of their potential.
    What main weapon is just 12"? I'm talking about the good kind of mech Eldar list, the one that is loaded with Vypers, Fire Prisms, and everything else mounted in Wave Serpents with cannons and brightlances. That is a lot of long-range firepower. Fire dragons need to get close, but in the context of this army build, that can wait for the opportune moment if the Mechdar player wants ... or they can sacrifice the dragons early for a guaranteed kill and some blocking ability. But overall, a good mechdar build doesn't have any intention of getting close and can outrange all but IG, Tau, and some SM builds.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast