new too eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new too eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new too eldar

hey recently ive been thinking about collecting eldar any suggestions on what to buy and an army list. i have around £130.00 to spend

thanks for any ideas

Last edited by skullhead123; March 11th, 2010 at 20:48.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

There are many threads like this, the most common start is 2 units of Dire Avengers, 2 Wave Serpents and a Farseer. That's about 80£.

Then people expand with Fire Prisms and a unit of Fire Dragons in a Wave Serpent.

Prisms are about 30£ and you need at least 2. Cracking your budget at 140£.

A unit of Fire Dragons and a third Wave Serpent will serve you well and is about 35$, for a total of 115£ for a decent allround starting army of around 800 points. The two Fire Prisms should have you at the same amount of points for slightly more money.

A popular alternative to Fire Dragons is a unit of Howling Banshees.
    Last edited by Inian; March 11th, 2010 at 21:02. Reason: corrected many errors...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the idea. i was thinking about getting a wraithlord or a seer council or do you think that is a waste of money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Not a waste, no, but not the best start either. Warithlords are not as powerful as one would like, but still, they can be effective and fun. The problem is that the best way of playing Eldar at the moment is mech, and Wraithlords are too slow to fit in a mech list. Coucils on foot are usable, but again not that mainstream. I'd say start experimenting with these things later, it's better in my eyes to start with a solid base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok thanks for the advise im definatly getting a farseer what weapons should i equip it with

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

You should give him Doom and Runes of Warding. You could possibly go for Runes of Witnessing too if you find his powers to be unreliable. If you want a second power I suggest either Fortune or Guide, but you don't really need either for now, and you should naturally take Spirit Stones if you are going for two powers. You can upgrade the Witchblade to a Singing Spear, but don't really need to, the Fire Dragons will take care of any tanks. If you want two powers I'd suggest getting a second Farseer for the other power, that allows you to move the powers around independantly on the battlefield and not put all your eggs in one basket, the extra cost isn't that high, especially in games over 1000 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the ideas any suggestions on what to buy after this and about the seer council would it be better to put them on jetbikes also what exarch powers for the DA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Seer councils on bikes are just an awesome unit, they are coming down and become less super with each new opposing codex, but they are still just amazingly powerful when handled right. On foot they do well, but not as well as the ones on bikes.

For your Dire Avengers the Exarch should have dual catapults and Bladestorm. You can do other builds also, but this is the most common and a very effective build.

What to buy after this, well get up to three Fire Prisms, and get another Serpent with either Howling Banshees or Fire Dragons, so you have one unit of each, another Wave Serpent for them is a given. After that you need to begin beefing up on Troops, a pupular choice is a unit of Rangers/Pathfinders. Together this is about 1500 points, and a very tough force. After that it's up to you really. With the opponents I face most I really like taking Striking Scorpions and Warp Spiders, but anything will do. Units to avoid are Swooping Hawks, Shining Spears and Support Weapon Batteries. Storm Guardians in Serpents do quite well for themselves, and Guardian Jetbikes are also nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

The bike council is generally better but the foot council is normally placed in a waveserpent. The biggest strength of a foot council in a serpent is that our best special characters can join it without hurting its performance (extra numbers for less cost even after the serpent is added in also is a strength it has over bikes ). Eldrad and Yriel are both great characters and fit very nicely with a council inside a serpent but slow down units on bikes.

I agree on the DA setup of dual catapults and bladestorm, the other setups are interesting but in the end they work best as a purely shooting unit.

+ Reply to Thread