Markerlight vs Fearless? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Markerlight vs Fearless?

I was wondering, if you use say, 10 markerlights on a fearless character to reduce leadership; will they autopass or auto fail any leadership tests they make? I looked in the rulebook and on the faqs for tau but nothing was mentioned. I personaly think that the markerlights would make them auto fail but any non-tau player would probably disagree. So, what would happen or would it just be better not to reduce their leadership due to arguements?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well you can only lower their leadership when it comes to being pinned, so unless you're running a drone heavy army or some kind of static fire warrior with carbines army, you won't be using this particular function of markerlights much, if at all. I'd stick to using them to up BS and reduce cover save if I were you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

I would tend to agree. If you go to such lengths to reduce a Ld10 unit to Ld0, then they should not be able to take any Pinning test, even though they would auto-pass if they could take it.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

the faq specifically says if you use marker lights to reduce a unit ld as far as one and cause the pinning check the dont even get to take it they become pinned, so they would indeed
    Fantasy : Empire, Chaos Warriors, Chaos Daemons, Vampire Counts, Beastmen, High Elves, Lizardmen( but i have opinions on every army just not the money)
    40k: Black Templars, Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar, Tau (thinking of Eldar)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Fearless is fearless, there's nothing in the rules to say if the LD is 1 or 0 they automatically fail - they're still fearless.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the markerlight entry in the tau codex it says that they would auto fail a pinning test if you lower they're leadership to 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

Well, I was thinking they wouldn't even be able to take the test by looking at the "Zero-Level Characteristics" on BRB p7, but if the codex says it's an auto-fail, then I'd say you just have to roll-off to determine if the MLs or Fearless prevail.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what codex you're reading, because it definitely doesn't say that. Here, I'll even tell you what it DOES say:

"To impose a -1 Leadership penalty on the marked unit for purposes of any pinning test imposed by the firing units shooting. Multiple counters may be expended to impose a cumulative modifier."

That's it. Absolutely nothing about any kind of auto fail or reduction to 0. Read your codex.

Plus think about this; in order to get a fearless unit to 0, you'd have to use about 7 markerlights. If you decide to use them this way, you can only use them for ONE firing unit. I'm going to assume your a decent player and aren't running a static gunline army filled with a bunch of carbine toting warriors. Which means the only unit capable of pinning would be gun drones or a unit with rail rifles. Either way, the maximum number of shots you would get from this one unit is 8 TL shots at 5+ to hit (which is the most pointless use of 96 points i can think of). So first off, that means about 5 hits. Then factor in the high toughness and armor save of most fearless units (since they are designed mostly to be CC beasts) and you'll find it is HIGHLY unlikely you will even cause ONE unsaved wound against the fearless unit. Which means they wouldn't have a chance to be pinned anyways. So that's at least 7 markerlights completely wasted, when you could have used them to up the gun drones BS to 5, along with two other BS 3 units, which typically would mean bye bye fearless unit. Wouldn't you rather them be wiped out than minus one model and pinned? This is a pointless debate and I really have no idea why you even brought it up in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

i know its been a while but the reason this could come into play is if you have say plague bearers on an objective, 2 units of pathfinders with markerlight on them all and a few gun drones or maybe your pirana's close and you need to get rid of them to have enough objectives to win, then yes its very circumstancial, but it can be used, and fearless is just passes any morale or pinning checks they are required to take, if they dont get to take it they cant pass it, you can even pin inquisitors who are better than fearless coz dark eldar cant pin them *angry face*
    Fantasy : Empire, Chaos Warriors, Chaos Daemons, Vampire Counts, Beastmen, High Elves, Lizardmen( but i have opinions on every army just not the money)
    40k: Black Templars, Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar, Tau (thinking of Eldar)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh if you're late enough in the game where you need to get rid of a fearless unit in one turn in order to get enough objectives to win, then you shouldn't have enough pathfinders to even do this with XD Like i said, you'd need at minimum 7 pathfinders, assuming they all hit, and if your opponent hasnt wiped out all or most of your pathfinders by this point, then he or she's an idiot and you should have wiped the table already anyways. So circumstancial? No. Unless you too are an idiot who didn't already wipe the idiot off the table for playing like an idiot. So no soup for you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast