'Ard boys: Sluggas or Shootas? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Ard boys: Sluggas or Shootas?

As I have recently made the decision to incorporate both Slugga and Shoota boys into my Death Skullz army, I find myself wondering which one I should give the extra gubbins to make 'ard boys.

My personal list is going to include about 30-40 slugga boys (split up differently for each game as needed, 10 are already Ard Enuff to pass for a 4+ armor save, but I might add some plates depending on this thread. ), and 20-30 Shoota boyz (only done a few conversions, going to get a ork mob box or 2 soon). Depending on how I go, about 15 sluggas will be 'ard, or about 20 Shootas. Maybe less for both, but idk yet. (I might end up with 12 'ard sluggas in a trukk. Any thoughts on this idea?
    )
    I think the Slugga boyz will get more use, since theres a plethora of AP4 shootin' weapons out there, and comparatively less power weapons for CC. But at the same time, I might end up Trukking a few loads of slugga boyz while my shootas are probably gonna be footslogging no matter what ends up happening, so the armor might save them from small arms fire.

I wonder, Fellow LO Ork players, which do you think would be better, or that you prefer?

I am verbose. Sorry.
    Current Armies:
    Kargh's Wite Butz, Death Skullz Orks: W: 5, L:, 2 D:2; Silver-skull Necrons: 1W 1L,500 pt

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

For 'ard boyz, I prefer choppa boyz in a trukk. The 4+ really only comes in handy in close combat, and the trukk is the way to get there in one piece, (mostly).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

I run a trukk full of 'Ardboyz....these are the models.

The 4+ save helps them live long enough for my foot sloggers to close in.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    113 (x3)

Nice use of black orcs dude i like vary much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like my idea of the trukk full o' boyz wasn't stupid then.

Good, now I can finally glue the head on this shoota boy. It was between a bare skull or a helmet.
    I am verbose. Sorry.
    Current Armies:
    Kargh's Wite Butz, Death Skullz Orks: W: 5, L:, 2 D:2; Silver-skull Necrons: 1W 1L,500 pt

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Nice models, Cossack. ^_^

I agree with the consensus, you want 'ard boyz with sluggas in a transport. They don't really work on shoota boyz, or on foot, because it's very easy to get a 4+ cover save. The only time the armor really makes a significant difference is in close combat. You could argue that the 'eavy armor would protect against flamers and burnas, but since there's just as many attacks that ignore cover saves with AP4, I only think it's worth it on sluggas in transports.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know. Previously I was running my 10 Ard Boyz as shocktroopers before the rest of the mob reached there, so by added a few and a trukk, I think they'll excel even more.

On the subject, which do you do more, move the trukk flatout or cruising speed? If my recent refresher on the transport rules was interpreted correctly, unless you need to really haul ass, and can end in a good, protected position, Flat Out sucks for transports because the orks can't disembark afterwards. Thats a whole turn they are going to need to sit in that fragile trukk...
    I am verbose. Sorry.
    Current Armies:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

It depends what you're doing with them. I usually don't disembark the Orks from the trukk until they're ready to assault, but it's not about protection, but the fact that if they disembark, they have to re-embark the following turn, and then can't disembark again in a new place.

In other words, trukks are meant to transport your boyz to a fight or objective as quickly as possible. If they're not within reach of either, I'd keep them in the trukk.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread