Advice against Nids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice against Nids

So Ive been playing Warhammer since 3rd ed, and I have found myself in sticky situations often times before...(reg SM vs Chaos 3rd/4th ed, SW vs Chaos 3rd/4th ed and orks vs nids 5th ed) This is the only time however that I believe that there is no possible way for me to find a victory...I am talking of course against the new codex of the Tyranids.No matter what I try, be it infantry hoarde (my personal favourite due to its fluff and amount of scoring troops) Fast attack and heavy infantry (nobz, ard boyz, kans etc) I cannot find an effective force to stop the monstorus creatures, fast moving infantry, RIDICULOUS shooting and mind rendering psychic abilities of the Tyranids.I am invloved in a game every week, hammertime wednesday, and am becoming increasingly discouraged because Im tallying so many losses everytime I fight them. Any tips as to whats good and what is not to get rid of my bug problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Well, what do you have now?

New bugs give Orks all sorts of problems. They're faster, shoot better, have psychic powers, and can be a lot tougher. There's also a lot of variety in the book so you can't nail them down a particular build or playstyle.

Like always, Lootas, Grots and Buggies are your friends. They can put out lots of firepower to bring down Warriors, MCs, and infantry, Grots can block, screen and generally be annoying, and Buggies are mobile and more suited to going after big MCs with rokkits.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly going back to the basics was something I never really thought of..I have over 100 boys and believe now that that is not nearly enough..but implementing grots and lootas into that number sounds like it could be very helpful. I just get overwhelmed (boyz getting overwhelmed!?) by "useless units" such as gaunts which find there way to my heavy hitters, and then genestealers will infiltrate behind be (or come in I guess..I dont have a nids dex so often its just taking his word for it) and then they hit be so hard from behind that troops Ive committed to front guard and flank guard have to cave in to clean up what rear guard failed at. All this while taking shots and worrying about pinning tests and moral and falling back and my biggest fear, falling back below half strength and not being able to regroup. Which leads me to another question...If the warboss is in a squad which is falling back and below half strength, can he rally them? or do they continue to fall back until they fall off the table WB included?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x3)

My tip against new nids: Bring what they can't fight against.

Too many gaunts? Know what a gaunt can't kill? A killa kan.

Too many MC's? Trukks with boyz, a 12 man squad can live long enough to kill the MC most the time, chances are better if you charge with two squads though.

Too many shots coming at you? Bring a battle wagon, s4 shots can only hurt the back. RAWRZUG YOU CAN WIN!
    Nurgle, the freshmaker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha but my question for you sir, is what should I do against a player who is obsessed with Fex's and Hive Tyrants and Tyrant guard and Thropes and named characters of the above effect?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

I think Kans and Dreds would work wonders. From the description of your example, it sounds like firepower units that are weak in HTH would be vulnerable - this would mean Lootas and Big Gunz could be toast. Mobile units like Koptas and Buggies/Kans can be useful support firepower in that case.

I have found Meganobz to be very good against Carnifexes. But them I'm probably lying or my opponents suck, since that seems to be the counter to my advice.

Old Zoggy might be good for a laugh if you're desperate.

Finally, there is nothing a 30-figure mob of Boyz (with PK nob) cannot handle. It is very important that you get the first charge in though and you might have to sacrifice other units to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome advice gents thanks. Im going to utilize all this info and hopefully put an end or "extermination" if you will to these overgrown cockroaches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Against Nidzilla armies powerclaw nobz and rocket buggies are your best friends. I would use the rocket buggies to take out anything big with a 3+ or worse save (like the warriors that always accompany the tyrant). Leave the 2+ save big bugs for the boy mobs to handle. Remember the big bugs can't single target your nobz, so a mob of boyz will do a good job shielding him until he finally takes the thing down.

Also consider leaving a mob of burna boyz or sluggas to sit back and guard your lootas. I also had trouble with infiltrating mobs coming behind and killing my looted wagons. So i kept a mob behind them and when they appeared i counter charged as far as i could. That way you can weaken them with the counter charge mob and then blast them (with the lootas) when your counter mob finally gets wiped out.
    What is dis signature nonsence?! dem stupid human zoggers are always trien to confuze us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I imagine that against a Big Bug heavy list, the tankbustas would shine. No vehicles=no glory hogs rule. Just don't take the Squigbomb things..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burna Boyz in a wagon could be fun. I don't know if a death-rolla would be useful here as lots of big MC's will stand a very good chance of DoGing you to death. Ram the little ones though to make them bunch up and then unleash hell. This is all theory of course because I've only ever flown Wave Serpents over Tyranids and so don't know how orks fare.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast