The Waargh Grows - 40k Newbie starting with orks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Waargh Grows - 40k Newbie starting with orks

Hi everyone, friday a friend of mine introduced me to 40k and decided I'd wanna start with the orks (I simply like that orky kind of humor). I've done a fair amount of reading in several forums and I think I understood the basic concepts yet I have a few questions and I'd be happy if you can help me a bit. I already bought quite a few models and my main problem is making a priority list for the painting order (I don't like to play with anything unpainted). I don't care too much about the winning/loosing part - yet for obvious reasons I'd prefer to start painting models that will be a sensible choice most of the time and we both will enjoy the game more if I provide at least a partially challaning enemy. My opponent will mainly play Chaos Space Marines and I know he likes kyborgs, winged demon prinzes and everything that relates to nurgle, such as plague marines. He said that he likes 1500 point games best since they are usually quick enough to play two games in an evening. From my understanding - Chaos Space Marines are pretty much an elite force and orks armies will usually consist of much more models and I should expect quite a few casulties - the trick is to ensure that the ork with the power-weapon stays alive to make his attacks. CSM are better at ranged combat and hence I should close the range as quickly as possible. I like the look of the bikers and I read that they are a pretty much hard hitting force - in particular the nob bikers with some kind of boss attached to them. However they are far from cheap units and CSM seem to have access to quite a few Power 8+ weapons (e.g. the kyborgs with their laser wepaons seemed quite powerful in my test matches). Are the nob bikers still a viable choice? Same for the 'standard' nobs with some kind of transport vehicle. The idea of fairly 'expensive' orks would be appealing to me since it would require less time to paint them up. Or is it better against such elite armies such as the CSM trying to counter them with a 'green flood' of standard boys led by a nob? The nob with the power klaw would likely survive long enough and hence inflict his damage potential. Is it worthwhile trying to bind the enemy early with kommandos or stormboyz so he won't be able to shoot at the more expensive models? Any advices would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Morkha; March 28th, 2010 at 21:40.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Welcome to the Waaaagh!

Since you say you've JUST started into 40K...do you have the rules? Did you get the Assault on Black Reach boxed set? Since you have some figures already, it would be helpful to us if we knew what there were.

MAJOR KUDOS FOR INSISTING ON PLAYING WITH PAINTED FIGURES. Only lazy gits use unpainted figures AND YES I AM CALLING EVERYONE OUT ON THIS. The figures are part of the hobby, otherwise play card games, boardgames or computer games.

Okay, now that I've fired that salvo....

You seem to have done your reading. Except I don't know how you got the idea that Chaos can outshoot Orks. Orks can have one of the shootiest armies in the game if you want. That's really the key - find your play style. Do you like to sit back and listen to the sound of the guns? Or do you like to close with the enemy and tear him apart?

I recommend to everyone starting orks that they get the AOBR set, the Ork Battleforce box and a Nobz boxed set. This will give you a mix of figures. They are mainly geared towards closing with the enemy, but that's okay, you need to learn to do it someday! Once you build and paint that force, and play it some, then you can decide to add more shooty parts (Lootas, Shokk Attakk Gun) or more stompy bits (Kans, Dred). Or even scary stuff like a deffrolla battlewagon.

There is not ONE way to play orks. You mention Kommandos and Stormboyz, and Nob bikers. I'd stay away from them at first. You need BOYZ first. Nobz are always good though...

Good luck and let's see that list of what you have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for quick reply - I'll start getting some paint on the boys first then. As far as the figures that I already own go: too many Since I like anything related to orcs I bought pretty much every box / blister once already over the past year even including almost everything that forgeworld got - I simply didn't intended to play the game before and only paint a model or two if I should fancy to do so - at least I have one biker already finished click me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

You know, I'm just going to second Cossack on pretty much everything he said.

Take what you've got, run some test games, explore different list archetypes and playstyles and figure out what works for you. There's always folks here ready to throw their 2 coppers in if you run across any more specific questions (list critique, counters to other armies, rules questions, etc).

For starters, I'd recommend building up a balanced, take all comers force. Take something that can compete with the wide varieties of armies out there, get familiar with it, and you should be well set. It saves you money in the long run (not having to buy a new shiny toy every time it comes out because you need it) and just makes you a better player.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

yay!

You're painting is incredible by the way. I think you'll be just fine! Seeing your painting, I think you should build the army that inspires you and learn to play it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Morkha View Post
    I simply didn't intended to play the game before and only paint a model or two if I should fancy to do so - at least I have one biker already finished click me
    Wow! Really impressive - rep for the biker. I've only painted, but starting to think about playing for fun. Mmmm. must take your biker as a reference model something for me to work towards. Good work.

+ Reply to Thread