to expensive or worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to expensive or worth it?

is a swarmlord with 3 hive guard being followed by a tervigon using catalyst on your hQ worth it? they draw lots of fire and the feel no pain is awesome, but is that to much of a point sink to throw down to rely on one unit. I play games around 1500 - 1850, so a unit like that sucks up alot of points but on paper looks unstoppable. its about 635 points including the tervigon, about 1/3 of your army

Pokerface of Guard

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

If you're gonna field the swarmlord, you pretty much have to invest in at least 2 tyrant guard as well ... and three are very nearly a necessity. The Swarmlord is very nearly the most deadly assault unit in the game. The only way any and every army can deal with him reliably is to shoot him down, hence the requirement for tyrant guard. (A few armies -- like Tyranids, ironically enough -- can actually bog it down in assault, perhaps even wear it down in assaults, but not every army can do this. And tyrant guard will still be necessary to keep the guy alive for longer in such situations.)

I don't know that Catalyst on the Swarmlord is useful, though. Most shooting going his way (i.e., AP2 and AP1 weaponry) is going to ignore Feel No Pain as it is. Torrenting down MCs doesn't happen that often. Or at least, it shouldn't be happening. Weaker anti-infantry firepower should be heading toward other elements of your army list. If your opponent has the clear opportunity to attempt torrenting down your Swarmlord, you've almost certainly made a mistake somewhere.

Always be sure to have plenty of worrisome targets around. A single deathstar -- even if it is a Catalyzed Swarmlord with a full Guard complement -- is going to be killed right quick if you don't offer anything else to frighten your opponent.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

I think it's a solid set of units. I think the other 2/3 of your list really needs to be built around supporting it so it can get across the field and do it's job. Hive guard/zoans seem to be a must to stop those bothersome tanks. Fill everything else out with viable threats/cover for your swarm lord and I think it would do well. Heck even a few drop pods are enough of a distraction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets just go with your running a 1500 point list after you HQ of 635 you have 865 points left now u can do a couple things with this run big carnies or lots of small stuff or a mixture of both if you roll with more monsters try with 3 carnifex each its own unit keeping them base of 160 your left with 385 points still more then enough for troops so lets upgrade your carifex now the carnifex isnt that great at assult with a highest possable of I(4) so lets throw a heavy venom or barbed strangle thorn depending on if your playing squishy or infintry killer or anti tank (if you go anit tank heavy venom and crushing claws so thats +50 pnts now a 210 carni lets also give him spore +40 now we dont need anything special on the spore so +40 now 250 times that by 2 and u have 500pnts from 865.....now u have 265 points left to mess with so lets give our other carni nothing so base 160 now u have 205 pnts for troops now we have a total of 5 monsters running around 2 deep striking thats scary shit so there gona want to try and kill all of that as soon as they can so cover is your best friend remember that now troops lets go gaunts 6pnts base with naked troops u can run 34 that hurts no matter what but your going to want to give then toxic sacs at 2pt so there 8pnt gaunts u can now run 25 gaunts i would run 2 squads of 10 and see if u can up grade some stuff or just make one squad 15 adn the other 10 gaunts will destroy anything in CC they are well worth there points
    I am right you are wrong get over it and move on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking back at it, i can see how catalyste isnt that good on a swarmlord unit, I guess i well use catalyste on my zoanthropes instead, they take alot of heat and have an invul save. Now the only thing on my mind is how i can make the swarmlord less of a target so he doesnt get swamped by low ap weapons. maybe i can stick old one eye infront of him and hope he gets a chance to regen some wounds and doesnt die in one turn.
    on another note do you guys find a tyrant with twin linked devourers to be1 a good build, looks like it really works on paper with his psychic abilities and the minus to leadership his guns can throw out. and if you have play-tested it is indescribable horror worth it, looks like it might save you from an assault or two a game.
    Pokerface of Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if you are worried about your swarmlord so much you should try to use cover to your advantage. Run him up behind ruins or buildings and try your best to get that line of sight on him. You can also follow him with a venomthrope and give him saves for those nasty ap 3 weapons.

I played a game today with the swarmlord and ran him up behind a building but most of the game he was out of combat. I felt as if his points were wasted. For me I think I'm gonna send him straight down the field and tie up his army with fast attack and other reserves before he kills my swarmlord.

+ Reply to Thread