Wraith army doing well - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wraith army doing well

Been playing the list posted under ghost-host fun list out here for the past few weeks and I have to say I am impressed!! I have played about 12 games and am so far 11-1-0 with it. Tied with IG. Tabled Tyranids, Tabled space wolves, decent enough game vs salamanders. Will take some pics and post a few battle reports (warning you our table is sheet metal grey and the terain is bowls from the chow hall and boxes/books/dominos.

Things I have noticed are, Wraithguard are damn near unkillable as in take whole armies worth of shooting and might lose one.

Eldrad is worth his weight in gold, played a 1000 list last night and took a fortuneseer, can't tell you how many times I wished it was Eldrad.

Harlies are disgusting. They have never failed to at least get double their points back. Did learn assaulting a Trygon prime at half strength is a bad idea though.

The weaknesses are rough though. I suffer on dawn of war as my army has to for the most part stick togeather to be effective, and the lack of mobility requires very carefull thinking in objective placement and deployment. Kill point games are nearly an auto-win though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its good hear that Wraith armies stil pack a punch, Id love to see the list you're using and hear about some of the tactics you use for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went for a fluffy army and really didn't expect it to do well.

Eldrad
    2x 10 Wraithguard Conceal warlock (spiritseer)
    1x 10 Dire avengers exarch w/ bladestorm in wave serpent with scatter lasers
    1x 10 Harlies w/ shadowseer and kisses for all
    3x Wraithlord w/ Bright lance and EML

(might have dropped a few harlies to hit 2k but dont have book handy)

Most of the army moves togeather, harlies in front turn 1-2 then fall behind to counter assault as VoT loses effectiveness. The dire avengers hunt infiltrators and anything that assaults 12 or moves too fast for me to get shots w/ wraithguard before assualt. The wraithguard with proper movement can ensure at least one volley of shots before assault which is usually enough to swing it in my favor. Wraithlords take out tanks/dreads and move in to support assult if need be. I have to be more aware of their flamers though, I always fail to take them into account.

I move the wraithblob toward the enemy objective/s leaving one behind if need be, turn 5 turboboost the avengers onto another.

The army relies on making bolters/light weapons useless. When the avengers arn't bladestorming an assult unit off the table they are hiding, the harlies provide cover saves and then hide in assault, and with said cover saves used well and fortune I have yet to lose a squad of wraithguard. In short I make target priority a nightmare for my opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

When ever I use Wraithguard (I have to proxy some - damn GW make plastic Wraithguard!) I usually use Enhance rather than Conceal. I pretty much always have a 4+ cover from anything with AP3 or less so the 5+ it gives is wasted. At WS5 and I5 Wraithguard hit on 3+ before space marines which means anything that assults after the shooting is often killed before it even gets to strike.

And they are so good against Monoliths. Because when they deep strike that thing in they don't expect 2-3 penetrating hits on it.
    Last edited by winginson; April 11th, 2010 at 16:19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice to hear that you are winning games with a list that is so-so. Just beware though that the weakness of your army is that your wraithguard are bad in cc and could easily be tarpited by a 10 strong tac sqd with a powerfist effectively tieing up around a 400 pts or more unit, and with the harleys not being able to be in transports since your running a 10 strong sqd your going to have to keep them close to the wraithguard which leaves them liable to a second sqd riding up and rapidfiring them. If you keep the wraithlords in the front though and use them to sort of buffer out these interceptors you should be able to hold your own aganist non-super competitive lists.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Epidemic4774 View Post
    It's nice to h -snip- front though and use them to sort of buffer out these interceptors you should be able to hold your own aganist non-super competitive lists.
    I hate to be an asshole, but did you miss the part where he said he has 11-1-0? No losses? 11 wins and 1 tie? Unless he's fighting a bajillion ordnance Ap3 weapons he's probably going to be OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrBenis View Post
    I hate to be an asshole, but did you miss the part where he said he has 11-1-0? No losses? 11 wins and 1 tie? Unless he's fighting a bajillion ordnance Ap3 weapons he's probably going to be OK.
    No I didn't miss that part, his around 470 point unit being tarpited is what a good player would do aganist a list like this seeing that he hasn't complained about this means no one has tried to exploit this weakness. Maybe you should've actually read and gave thought to my comment before making a response; I applauded him and pointed out a weakness that good players might attempt to try and gave him a remedy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Epidemic4774 View Post
    No I didn't miss that part, his around 470 point unit being tarpited is what a good player would do aganist a list like this seeing that he hasn't complained about this means no one has tried to exploit this weakness. Maybe you should've actually read and gave thought to my comment before making a response; I applauded him and pointed out a weakness that good players might attempt to try and gave him a remedy.
    Woohoohoo calm down there. You might have neglected this passage from his 2nd post
    Most of the army moves togeather, harlies in front turn 1-2 then fall behind to counter assault as VoT loses effectiveness. The dire avengers hunt infiltrators and anything that assaults 12 or moves too fast for me to get shots w/ wraithguard before assualt.
    Go take a ritalin or something, your blood pressure must be a bit high.
    My compiled thoughts blog.
    If someone posts something helpful +rep them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrBenis View Post
    Woohoohoo calm down there. You might have neglected this passage from his 2nd post

Go take a ritalin or something, your blood pressure must be a bit high.
    Flaming?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is VoT?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast