Second HQ choice... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second HQ choice...

I'm a relatively new player that has a 1k Eldar army right now. I play a mech army that is basically doomseer, DAs + WS, SS + WS, 5 Pathfinders, 2 Fire Prisms. Usual loadouts and the SS exarch has claw, WS's have EMLs

I feel like I'm not fielding everything I want in a 1k points army so am expanding to 1.5k, and am generally thinking about adding War Walkers with scatter lasers, and Fire Dragons in a WS, but I have no idea what to do for my next HQ choice. I was thinking adding an Autarch to help with the war walkers I will use to outflank, but I'm not sure how to incorporate him effectively into my list.

I was thinking throw him in with the scorpions with the basic scorpion gear just for the reserve rolls, but I also have heard a lot about Fortuneseers riding with scorpions to make them nigh-invincible in CC...

My question boils down to what HQ choice would be logical for a basic mech list such as mine? I'm even open to characters such as Yriel or Eldrad especially, or even a Phoenix Lord.

Edit: I recently read about putting a warp/power sword/mandiblaster autarch in with warp spiders + exarch w/ powerblades and deep striking them at the enemy's weak spot then withdrawing after vicious CC, has anyone else used this to great effect? if this sounds viable I'd be glad to experiment with it

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Autarchs are tricky creatures. They promise much but rarely deliver. If you really want to take one, use Yriel for his tank-popping/MC-hunting capabilities.
    My compiled thoughts blog.
    If someone posts something helpful +rep them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yriel = God

-----------Warning----------
    Your opponents will start to hate
    you if you start fielding this guy all
    the time and slaughtering them on
    the battlefield.

And don't get too excited about outflanking your walkers - alot of the time they'd be better deployed normally so they can be firing from turn 1 especially if you have the first turn. The reason people reserve them is usually to keep them alive when facing staring down something like a IG army fully fledged out with heavy weapons/tanks that is going to go before you and blow your walkers to itty bitty bits before they ever get to do anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to say it but unless you go with an Autarch you should just upgrade your Farseer to Eldrad. I use 2 Farseers because I hate special characters but this is not cost effective. Eldrad does the work of 3 Farseers and then some for the price of 2. I can't remember if he has RoWarding but if not that would be the only let-down.

If you decide on going with an Autarch you'll be paying for the reserve ability and modest all-around killing ability. Don't expect the poor bugger to be a killing machine. Yriel is good because he is probably the only truly killy character worth his points in out codex AND he lets you re-deploy and such.

In a mech list be careful with how much you invest in combat. No assault vehicles means that getting into combat is tricky and you don't want that to take away from the speed and number of juicy transports you field.

At the end of the day I'd play around with proxies or just use what you like. I use 2 Doomseers and have a good time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldrad is a great choice. I say it time and time again on these boards. He is worth every point at 1500+. And yes, he has RoWit and RoWar.

The Autarch would be a good choice as well. The tactic you found and posted is a good one. I personally have him with Banshees w/ Fusion Gun, Mandibalsters, and power weapon. I like the idea of being able to bust open a transport then decimate the cargo (if I didnt move their own transport that is). Though this is a rare occurency. Yriel is definitely another great choice for his points. Either way, if you're going 2nd, or have a bunch of outflankers/DSs then an Autarch or Yriel would be a great 2nd choice.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Careful with what you're adding. It's not that the ideas presented here are bad. It's that you should think twice about going to 1500 only having two troop choices, especially if one of them is just five isolated pathfinders (easy prey for a drop pod flaming). Normally those two have decent survivability due to being lesser threats than other Eldar units. But if they see you only have those as troops many crafty opponents will target them and quickly put you in a position where you can at most tie the game.

So in going from 1500 to 1000 I'd suggest first adding another troop choice or swapping the pathfinders for harder to kill DA in a WS, once you've done that add some good stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

im planning on eldrad, mostly because he is THE farseer. my friends have even asked me not to use him in lots of friendly games.
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldrad + Yriel = the pain-train.
    My compiled thoughts blog.
    If someone posts something helpful +rep them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the replies! I read all of them and decided to go for Yriel and a semi-tricked out farseer (Eldrad would've taken me over by 65 points) for my 1500 pt army

If anyone is interested and wouldn't mind checking out the whole army, I'll post it in the Army Lists sub-forum

+ Reply to Thread