New to Orks, several questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

New to Orks, several questions

Okay, I just agreed to buy off my friends extra orks (he has already four other armies... and none of them ready) and start a Waaagh! of my own. Now, to balance my extremely mobile & shooty Necron army I was thinking of going green-tide type of CC army with huge numbers of infantry and walkers to round it off. Now the questions:

1) How many Boyz per unit?
    2) Shoota or Slugga?
    3) Stikkbombz or not?
    4) Or am I beter off with Grots?
    5) Big Mek, Warboss or Warphead? Or one of each?
    6) Deff Dreads or Kill Kans? or both?
    7) What other units would suit this idea?

Thanks for the replies up front.

Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Welcome to Orks! Have you checked out this thread yet: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...00-basics.html

It's a great guide for people starting out, that a few people (including myself) put together.

To answer your questions:

1. If they're on foot: 20-30 with a nob, powerklaw, bosspole, and 2-3 big shootas or rokkits. If they're in a trukk: 12 slugga boyz w/nob, pk, bosspole, ram.

2. Shootas on foot, Sluggas in trukks.

3. It doesn't hurt to have a stikkbomb chukka on at least one of your units in transports. I wouldn't give them to boyz on foot though, as it gets too expensive.

4. One unit of grots is always nice. ^_^

5. If you mainly have vehicles, then a big mek w/KFF is a must have. If you're mostly on foot, then a Shokk Attakk Gun or Warp ead would be best. I wouldn't take a warboss unless you're taking nobz, and nobz only work well in fast armies, with lots of transports and/or bikes. This is because nobz need either a transport or bikes, and if they're one of the only ones of these units in your army, they'll be singled out and killed very quickly.

6. Killa Kans, with either kmbs, rokkits, or grotzookas. No other upgrades.

7. Shooty units, like lootas or big gunz kannons work very well. An outflanking unit, like kommandos or deffkoptas, would also work nicely.

Good luck!
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; April 23rd, 2010 at 15:16.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

So a footsloggin' army with something like 2 mobs of shoota boyz, 1 horde of grots, a squadron of killa kans and another one of big gunz is okay?

Should there be something fast there?
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

A trukk of slugga boyz might be nice, only don't start them on the board. Start them in reserve, so they can come help later in the game, and are guaranteed at least one full move up the board.

Otherwise, an outflanking unit would also work well.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x2)

Personally i would always take shoota boyz as they are more deadly in every aspect. As you can get out of your trukk and shoot killing some people and then charging which means less attacks againts you. Also if you squad get stranded they can still do something.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> My Produced Music<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Donations Welcome$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Ah...figured it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    Okay, I just agreed to buy off my friends extra orks (he has already four other armies... and none of them ready) and start a Waaagh! of my own. Now, to balance my extremely mobile & shooty Necron army I was thinking of going green-tide type of CC army with huge numbers of infantry and walkers to round it off. Now the questions:

"Rule of Thumb" only....20 for shootas, 30 for sluggas and obviously 12 for sluggas in a truck. You can do 30 shootas, but I find it sometimes difficult to get all 30 into range without cramming them so close together that they become template fodder. Sluggas on foot really need 30.

2) Shoota or Slugga?

Both. Don't believe the slugga-haters! This forum seems to be the haven for a few guys who don't know how they work, but every other Ork player I know loves them as much as me. Sluggas on foot are amazing and if you're doing a green tide then they would work very well for you.

3) Stikkbombz or not?

Don't put stickbombs on your foot units.

4) Or am I beter off with Grots?

Grots are fun. They can be used for cover or as a cheap unit to hold an objective on your side of the table.

5) Big Mek, Warboss or Warphead? Or one of each?

Definitely a Warboss! No green tide army should be without one. And he is amazing - the one from the AoBR set is fantastic. You're second HQ should be a mek with KFF.

6) Deff Dreads or Kill Kans? or both?

Killa Kans are a better choice, but don't be afraid of taking a Dred, especially as a troop choice because of the big mek. You can set him up on table in scenarios where he would otherwise have to walk on. I like to give my Kans rokkits. They are BS3, and the 24" S8 shot can be vital.

7) What other units would suit this idea?

Nobz! All they ever do is kill everything they touch and win games. Other than that, they suck. And with the Warboss choice, they are troops that can claim obectives! I put mine in a trukk to get them into action fast.

Thanks for the replies up front.
    Last edited by Cossack; April 23rd, 2010 at 22:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    Ah...figured it out!

"Rule of Thumb" only....20 for shootas, 30 for sluggas and obviously 12 for sluggas in a truck. You can do 30 shootas, but I find it sometimes difficult to get all 30 into range without cramming them so close together that they become template fodder. Sluggas on foot really need 30.

2) Shoota or Slugga?

Both. Don't believe the slugga-haters! This forum seems to be the haven for a few guys who don't know how they work, but every other Ork player I know loves them as much as me. Sluggas on foot are amazing and if you're doing a green tide then they would work very well for you.
    Having a mix of Shootaboys and Sluggaboys is the best option. This way you can choose to shoot or choose to charge. I play a Mechanized army, where most of my army is mounted in trukks or battlewagons. Sluggaboys does best in a trukk, in a battlewagon however I find the shootaboyz option is great. As Cossack mentioned, having large units of shootaboys, you rarely manage to get everyone in range unless you group them together wich makes you vulnerable against templates. Having 20 shootaboys in a battlewagon gives you several great advatages.
    1. Protection. They are all hidden under a AV14 armour! With a KFF a 4+ coversave will do wonders!
    2. Mobile Bunker. The wagon can choose to drive 6" and the boys inside can still shoot all of their guns.
    3. Shooty the choppy / choppy the shooty. With 20 shootaboys in a wagon, you can either drive around shooting stuff OR drive forward at full speed, jump out charge and the wagon can deffroll your enemy.
    4. Can one shoot? Everyone can shoot! When mounted in a vehicle, you measure the range from the Hull of the vehicle. This means that if the chosen enemy unit is in range, every single model inside can shoot! that means 17 shootas, 2 Big shootas, and one slugga for the nob with powerclaw.
    5 Deffrolling is awesome!

So, thats the reason I use 2x20 shootaboys in a deffrolling wagon. couppled with some trukkboys and you have a mechanized army.

I always squeeze in 10 grots to grab objectives!

KFF is great for mass vehicle armies. Either trukks, wagons or dreads / killercans. 4+ save is sweet!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

Got some more orksies for pennies from ebay and my plans are coming becoming more accurate. I was thinking of taking 2 mobs of shoota boys (maybe 20 boyz per mob) along with nob and big shoota. Powerklaws and bosspoles, naturally. Then I'd take a huge mob of sluggaboyz (20 to 30 boyz) and put Warphead with them for extra waagh!. And a horde of grots to act as cover for the boyz.

For heavier support maybe a few batteries of Big Guns and a squadron of Kill Kans. Put in a few burnaboyz and maybe lootas for a good mix. Since I'm trying to keep this army much like a huge infantry horde I'll take Kommandos for outflanking. As you can get two burnas and a powerklaw into a kommando-squad it should be pretty scary even against heavier armor saves.

The battleplan is simple: Line up everything behind the grots and march up the field with lootas, shootas and big guns supporting with their fire. Then we stomp 'em. And if thats not enough, we bring up burna boys to act as powerweapon can-openers and we stomp 'em some more. And the kommandos come in, stab everyone in the back and *then* stomp 'em.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

One problem with lining up everything behind a screening unit is it totally blocks your own army. if you roll a '1' for running, then you lose a lot of ground.

It's a balance between having two waves of boyz and screening them from an initial charge...(you DEFINITELY want to have a unit available to get the charge in).

There's no sure fire way to do it...you just have to learn and play it different each game. I find trukk boyz good at tying up an enemy, but even then they can counter-punch and hit a mob of 30 sluggas flat footed if I'm not careful.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

Ah, of course. I was more intend on using the grot-screen for the burna boyz and slugga boyz and leave the shoota boys doing walk & shoot on their merry way to the assault range. In any case it will be brutal, it will cost orksy lives, but hopefully in the end I'll be able to drown the enemy in a sea of green bodies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast