Kan strategies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kan strategies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kan strategies

What is the best strategy for using Kans?

do you walk them in front of your ork line in the iron curtain strategy? It strikes me that your running orks will overtake them immediately.

what works best?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

You want them as close to the enemy as possible. The boyz mobs can run around them and maybe even give them a cover save. My only issue is when a kan blows up and takes a lot of boyz with it. Oh well!

But set them up as far forward as possible and let your opponent worry about them, not you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Don't forget that the kans can run too. Until they're within effective range, have them run as well.

In a horde type army, I'd definitely keep them in front of the boyz, to give the boyz some cover, and put pressure on the enemy.

I also like using kans in shooty armies, as bodyguards for lootas, big gunz, and SAGs. In this case they hang back and wait for the enemy to come to them.

In both cases, Killa Kans are best used as a deterrent, kept cheap so they're expendable, and the best targets to use them against are ones without powerfists/klaws, since the kans can assault them with little risk.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd agree with Grax here on this. Best thing is to keep them cheap from personal experience as they are extremely likely to die.

I tend to use a unit of 3, 2 with Big Shootas and the third either with a Rokkit Launcha to help out with pot shots or a Grotzooka for when getting up close. Ill generally keep them near the middle of the force targeting higher toughness enemies like Bikes or thin out fast moving assault units before they can hit my lines too hard.

Only other thing I'd say is always take them in a Squadron!
    Proud Member of Manchester Area Wargames Society
    http://maws40k.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was planning on running them with three Rokkit Launchas and then a separate unit of 3 with big shootas so that they are dedicated to be AT or anti Infantry.

I thought about mixing a Rokkit in with Big Shootas but then you risk missing when you use it to take out a transport or failing to penetrate.

What are your thoughts on that?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Mixing anti-infantry guns with anti-vehicle guns, in the same unit, is generally a bad idea. It severely limits the effectiveness of the unit, since half the time their shooting is going to be close to useless, regardless of what the target is.

Mixing big shootas, grotzookas and burnas in the same unit generally isn't that bad, and neither is mixing rokkits and kmbs in the same unit, but generally I like to give every kan in the unit the same gun.

If you want to have a kan with a different type of gun, I'd separate him into another unit. I'd rather split the unit than have one ineffective unit (making me the evil mother in the King Solomon's judgement story, for all those keeping track ^_^).
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    Mixing anti-infantry guns with anti-vehicle guns, in the same unit, is generally a bad idea. It severely limits the effectiveness of the unit, since half the time their shooting is going to be close to useless, regardless of what the target is.

Mixing big shootas, grotzookas and burnas in the same unit generally isn't that bad, and neither is mixing rokkits and kmbs in the same unit, but generally I like to give every kan in the unit the same gun.

If you want to have a kan with a different type of gun, I'd separate him into another unit. I'd rather split the unit than have one ineffective unit (making me the evil mother in the King Solomon's judgement story, for all those keeping track ^_^).
    Yeah, listen to Grax on this one... Big Shootas and Grotzookas in one unit, Rokkits and KMBs in the other.

I only used to run the 3 (2 BS, 1 Rokkit) in one unit because I had a Battlewagon and Deff Dred in the other Heavy Slots! Plus I think 1 Kan on his own is too much of an easy Kill Point. But I never generally had a problem when using it, but it's fair point.

Personally, I'd go with 2 Big Shootas and a Grotzooka, just for a bit of light infantry bashing and the templates helping to thin out Hordes.

Let us know how you get on, but if you're going to buy the plastic set then make sure you Magnetise them!!!
    Proud Member of Manchester Area Wargames Society
    http://maws40k.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still trying to get hold of the models whichs is really all I need to complete my Ork army.

So I assume that they can claim obscured cover from ork boyz?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depends on the size of the boyz......has to obscure 50%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Useless at shooting!?
    BS 3 is like an Imperial! They have the highest BS in our army! Rokkit Lauchers x3 and watch the Marines fall before you charge them! Make them a threat, walk em forward, smoke some transports, charge some squishy infantry and carry the day on piston driven legs! Waaaaaaagh!
    "Men attract not what they want but instead what they are."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast