Tau 2011 5th edition codex ideas??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau 2011 5th edition codex ideas???

With the recent showcasing of the tau xv9 hazard battlesuits i was thinking what the 5th edition tau codex would include. I've given a lot of thought and i bet we may see a few of the following new additions and changes:

Xv10 battlesuit commander

This is most likely not going to be put in the new codex but i do think we will see a big expansion in options for different HQ choices for 5th edition. I would like XV10 to be the commander because i dont see the XV9 going anywhere near replacing the XV8 currently. so the XV10 i think would be a great jump from the old XV8 commander that every tau player uses(wont replace my commander farsight though)!

XV22

Now this is what i am looking forward to the most and i think there is an 80% chance of us seeing these in the new codex. why? well its hinted on page 35 of the current tau codex and commander shadowsun is currently testing it out. Im not sure how we will see them though, my guesses are as a sergent for the stealth team or a completely new unit (although i would like them to be fast attack simply because we dont have enough of that at the moment).

The Nicassar

For those of you who dont know the Nicassar were the first to join the tau empire as an ally. They are highly psychic which is why i believe they should be in the next codex. looking at recently released codex's like blood angels and space wolves they have been given amazing psychic powers. So i think it would be wise for the tau to gain some sort of psychic unit. I think they will simmillar to the IG psyker battle squad but maybe a bit more powerfull. but if its going to follow fluff then prepare to be put down a bit because it will potentially mean we get disadvantages against the new Inquisitor codex which i bet will come out the same year.

Heavy gun drones

currently in the forgeowrld Imperial armour books these heavy gun drones have allways been an amazing anti-SM squad in games. I think we'll see these being a great addition to the tau codex and it would be very handy if we could exchange those twin-linked burst cannons for twin-linked fusion blasters.

These are just some of the things i bet we could be seeing in the next codex please post/comment on any of the things i have mention and add things you would like to see added to the tau codex, but i would be really interested in which character from the fluff you want in the next codex or what new rules and abilities you want added to shadowsun or farsight cuz i've got a list of them for farsight so please comment on what you think!!!

Last edited by Pekolie; June 24th, 2010 at 13:31.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Unfortunately, I can't see Tau ever receiving a real psyker unit, and certainly not one that is powerful, but it would be interesting to see other races other than Kroot and Vespids with the Tau.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    191 (x3)

I can see them getting access to a psyker unit or Anti-psyker unit or one that uses just defensive powers. This would be one from another race of course. With all the influx of enemy psykers, they need it.

Give Kroot fieldcraft in any defensive terrain, not just jungles.. I hate having to go scour for a couple jungles everytime I play.. and bump their init up so they are actully a threat on the charge.

I propose a mechanized robotic MC (or dreadnought) as well that will be a threat in CC. Fearless of course... Since tau are so terrible normaly in CC, let their technical brains do the fighting for them.
    NECRON Army List Builder a Free excel capable list generator for 5th and 6th ed. 11/2011
    Necrons - 6000 points, Tau - 6000, Daemons - 5250, Eldar - 4500, Blood Angels - 5000
    Some pics form my hobby. http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...arodragon/40k/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I really wouldn't like to see more allies. It's codex Tau and too many other races will water down the idea that it is a Tau codex.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

I wouldn't count on the XV22 seeing anything besides special character use. It has a built in stealth -and- shield gen with 4+ invuln save. Any normal unit toting XV22 suits would be a bit rediculous. I feel the fluff of her testing is simply to explain why she is the only one to wear it model wise.

Weren't the Nicassar somehow physically handicapped? I remember they float around in their ships and are pretty much the closest thing to astropaths the Tau can boast. Also the codex says they are hidden away in the back of Tau space because the Tau know how the imperium feels about psychers and didn't want humans chasing them down. As a field unit they could fit in a nitch not currently covered in the Tau empire, but at the same time they would probably detract from the feel of the Tau... the codex made a large deal about us not having psychics.

More drones would be welcome.

An XV10 would be interesting, especially since it would add some veriety to our list. Though most longer played Tau armies will have converted or customized commanders making them stand out anyways.

I would very much like to see the XV9's in the fast attack slot, would give us even more suit options.

I would also like to see some veriation on the Firewarrior. We have Pathfinders, Firewarriors, and Stealth Teams... surely the Firecaste has more than this. More troop options/upgrades would go a long way to help re-establish the Tau gunline. Maybe firewarrior veteran equivalents or something like the IG.

I think Tau are pretty covered in the vehicle department, we just need more troop and fast attack options in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a fast open topped transport that can carry 12 FW, for really easy FoF; no need to disembark!

more XV8 weapons; like the ion gun the XV9s have.

cheaper units and vehicles.

MAYBE a rise in BS. BS4 rather than BS3 would be sweet, but it might make us a little too good, since the only thing getting in the way of our mega awsome guns is our BS. maybe a solution would be to make ML intergrated weapons: upgrade a normal weapon to a MLweapon for a few points, then at the start of every shooting phase before rolling to hit, roll a D6, and on a 4+ the weapon user gets +1 BS for that turn.

MAYBE make stealths a troop choice. then we might use them more, but this might be to good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

The Tau are the fastest evolving race technology wise of any race in 40K. I would like to see this reflected in the new codex, even if the way they fight stays the same (no CC ec) they would still evolve more ways to handle the enemy and their way of ranged fighting would evolve. I see this in the new XV9 battlesuits and I think that stuff like heavy support weapons (or heavy weapon Drones) in FW squads would be a natural evolution. GW need to remember to give the Tau player more flexibility in build options (which sells more models as well remember).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    I really wouldn't like to see more allies. It's codex Tau and too many other races will water down the idea that it is a Tau codex.
    Not to nit pick but its codex Tau Empire, i think allies are a big part of what tau are so fit right in.

I think XV9's would be cool as well as the new weapons and would totally support them been a fast attack choice. i also think that the stimulant injector should become an option for battle suits (at a lower cost), currently they are fairly fragile.

I think drones could also be a lot more useful. I think making drones back to the ones to take hits before the unit would be good, something where wound allocation is first on the drones.

I think the pts would need adjusting now a lot of the Tau stuff is over priced compared to other armies. The devil fish is one that comes to mind for me.

I think more "smaller" battle suits would be cool as single heavy weapon carriers. Something on the scale of a stealth suit with a single weapon, this would allow the tau some cheaper and more focused suits. Think this would do what GW tried to do with the rail rifles on the path finders.

Just my thoughts.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Hmmm... i'll throw some suggestions out.

With 5th edition's focus on Troops and Objective games, I'd like to see more choices in my Troop slots. I could see gun drones being much cheaper and put into the Troop slot. Use them like drones and robots are used in real life, kinda like how we use Kroot as meatshields. It would be great to use a piranha to try and get an objective late in the game by rolling flat out and dumping a pair of drones out to claim an objective.

I'd like to see marker light rules updated. There are many "benefits" to MLs that are simply useless in todays game. I'd also like to see a simplification of MLs too. Maybe make them not totally dependent on just pathfinders (yes i know skyrays and ML drones have them too but they are kinda prohibitively expensive therefore not used as often). Maybe have a FW unit's leader/sargent automatically get one (without having to pay extra)? Also, the difference between regular and networked MLs is annoying and makes an already complicated mechanic more complicated. Just make all MLs networked (except for kroot).

Id like to see more USEFUL Kroot units. Maybe take some of the FW Kroot monstrous creatures and make them standard 40k rules. It would be nice to have a big monstrous unit for an enemy to fear (in CC maybe too)

I would like Firewarriors to be cheaper and/or have better BS. From a fluff point of view they should be the mainstay of our army. Right now they are too expensive for what they give you.

Make Ethereals actually useful. Give them "psyker-like" abilities that focus on enhancing/inspiring your own units. Like a power that gives one unit a turn the ability to reroll hits or wounds or some enhancement like that (preferably Shooting or movement enhancements NOT CC). Some sort of inspiring speech ability, but not a psyker power.

Update the Crisis Suit models, Forge World is making the old ones look pretty silly.

Combine Stealth Suits and Sniper drones units.... and give it the scout ability and maybe a bunch of MLs?

This is a kind of "out there" idea but I think it would be cool for the Tau to have a large walker transport type of thing. Something like the Scarab from the Halo video game franchise. This could be the Tau answer to a Baneblade or the new Blood Angel Storm Raven. Maybe it could carry a unit of 12 FWs and a unit of Crisis Suits. Be decked out with a Railgun or two fun stuff like that.

In a general sense, the Tau do need some work. I really hope GW has them become the preeminant Shooty and Mobile army (and abandon all hopes of CC with the Tau - thats not what they are about), it would really set them apart from Space Marines monotony....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Gedderz View Post
    Not to nit pick but its codex Tau Empire, i think allies are a big part of what tau are so fit right in.
    Allies have their place, but when you make an army the allies should supplement the army. Not be the army.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast