Crisis Suit Only Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Crisis Suit Only Army

Hey All,

I've never played Tau before but am interested in a an army consisting only of Crisis Suits and some auxillary kroot and vespids.

Any posts on this? Couldn't find any in the search. If so, my bad.

The idea would be to have 2 commanders with body guard units of suits, 3 elite units, 3 broadside units, all crisis suits. I'd include lots of Plasma rifles, missle pods, fusion blasters, and at least one unit with some flamer action. I'm unsure on exactly how to equip each squad as I've never actually used Tau and rarely played against them. I can research other posts on HQ, Elite, and Heavy loadouts for each unit later.

For troops, I'm thinking massive kroot numbers. Probably 3 big kroot units, 2 units of hounds, and a krootox for fun. Maybe even human auxillaries. All fast attack slots get filled with 3 vespid units. I'm also open to using other types of kroot units like the big beasts from FW, so long as it doesn't cut into my crisis choices.

The idea would be to utilize the crisis suits to max movement potential, jumping around and laying down fire, while the kroot can tie up enemies, claim objectives, and lay down some extra fire. Vespids can fly around and help the suits as well. I think that this should allow for a ton of concentration of fire, topped off by units of carnivores and hounds to tie things down when need be.

One thing I'm worried about is the use of cover. It seems that Kroot and crisis suits really rely upon it, and things could get crowded quick.

Not totally sure about Tau culture but an elite group of fighting suits, bolstered by a bunch of expendable alien helpers, sounds neat.

So:
    - Is this workable? Doesn't need to be super competitive, as I realize that I'm cutting out about half of Tau units, but to have it be not totally sucky would be nice.
    -Anyone done this before? Thoughts?
    -Any additional advice on types of battle suits or links to good loadouts for HQ, Elite, and Broadsides?
    -Does this make sense fluff-wise?
    -Any other FW crisis suits with current rules worth taking? Some of the models look wicked.
    -I'm guessing this will run at around 2000 points?

Thanks!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

You could theoretically field:

6 Suits in the HQ slots. Two commanders with body guard.

9 Suits in the elite slots, three teams of three.

9 Suits in the fast attack slots. (New forgeworld XV9 hazards, they have rules in Imperial Armor Apoc 2)

9 Suits in the heavy support slots in the form of XV88 Broadside teams.

Add two units of kroot karnivores as your need troop choice, and you have maxed out suit composition. No idea on the rediculous point cost, but that is max numbers there.

Kroot hounds are added to karnivore squads as 'upgrade' options, krootox are a heavy choice and would not let you take as many broadsides, so I would avoid them. Vespids are a fast attack I believe, overly expensive and very difficult to use due to short range weapons... and if you are using forgeworld models then XV9s ftw.

Problem with your idea is it is full of contradictions. For instance the high mobility of the massed crisis suits, is countered by the extremely stationary XV88 broadsides. Hammerheads would fit better with the mobility of your army, though the broadsides are a force to be reckoned with. With only two squads of kroot you would be really hurting to capture objectives. The effectiveness of the idea depends a lot on what you are playing. House rules, game type, and the like matter a lot to your list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

@Serran, I think you might be reading the old codex. Krootox are an upgrade to Kroot sqauds, just like the hounds. And Fire Warriors are a 1+ unit, which means you need to have at least 1 unit of them in the list somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

I thought the krootox were an upgrade to the kroot squads, but were a heavy selection.

Either way, I stand corrected!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

You can definitely make a go of Tau using only broadsides for your heavy support. 3x 2 broadsides with 2 shield drones in each unit is both reasonably priced -- 585 pts ain't much -- as well as something I've had used against me to great effect.

Also, most quality Tau army lists use about 10 crisis suits at the 2000 pt level. (1 HQ + 3x3 Elites). That should be enough battlesuits to whet anybody's appetite.

And Kroot always feature heavily in strong Tau army lists as well. It's almost de rigeur to field 2x Kroot units (often 10 Kroot + 5 Hounds in each unit for a nice round 100 pts each).

But now your points are very quickly eaten up! And you still need Fire Warriors. And those guys definitely need to be a Devilfish for protection. They are, for all practical purposes, the only scoring units in your army. (Same in my armies, so this isn't a big deal.)

Something like this might work well...

HQ
    [87 pts] Shas'el, PR, MP, MT

Elite
    [186 pts] 3 XV8, PR, MP, MT

Troop
    [60 pts] 6 Fire Warriors
    [60 pts] 6 Fire Warriors
    [94 pts] 10 Kroot, 4 Hounds
    [94 pts] 10 Kroot, 4 Hounds

Fast Attack
    [60 pts] 5 Pathfinders
    [95 pts] Devilfish, MT, DP
    [60 pts] 5 Pathfinders
    [95 pts] Devilfish, MT, TA
    [150 pts] 2 Piranhas, FB, TA, DP

Heavy
    [195 pts] 2 XV88, ASS, team leader w/2 shield drones

Total: 1998 pts
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Good list. The only thing I would consider changing is dropping one of the Piranhas to allow some points for HWTLs and BKs for Broadside Team Leaders (six vehicles in one go is nice, if you have cooperative dice!), a TA on the Shas'el to help him hit things and the rest for Team Leaders with BKs for the Pathfinders.

However, that's just my own thoughts.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Thanks for the input guys. It seems that I've reached several conslusions.

1. Every army must include fire warriors. This is really irritating to me as it limits playability. I want only crisis suits and kroot!!!
    2. These suits are pricey in terms of points. I don't have the codex but I'm guessing 2 commanders w/ body guards, 3x3 elites, 3x3 fast attack, and 3x3 broadside units + 6 units of krooty goodness may put me around 3000 points if not far over it, which is fine to match my orks.
    3. Fast attack crisis suits from IA 2. Awesome info on that one, thx. Anyone used them?
    4. Broadsides are immobile but thats OK. They'll have huge gobs of kroot to guard them, and may even lure enemy units into precarious positions where they'll be trapped and soaked in shots from the other suits and krooties. In the end, they really just need to punch holes in tanks for a few turns, if they die out then so be it.
    5. Thanks for the recommendations on the sample list, but I want to stick with the crisis/kroot theme. Other wise its really not unique, though I'm sure its an excellent loadout.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Broadsides have an option to make them mobile. You really need to get a copy of the codex though if you're going to go ahead with this planned theme.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

I assumed them to be immobile after playing against them, scanning forum posts and from the advice of another (I'm assuming experienced) poster who plays Tau. From what I can tell they can fire their rails unless they move, making them essentially non-moving unless they're directly threatened, and even then perhaps the extra shooting turn is worth it. I could be wrong. Perhaps you could mention this mobility option you speak of- is it often used?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

In the list I posted, "ASS" is the common abbreviation for Advanced Stabilization System, which makes your XV88s Slow and Purposeful. That means they can move and shoot! You will definitely want your Broadsides to be capable of doing this.

Two things about Kroot and Fire Warriors. Everybody agrees that Kroot are awesomesauce and can -- and should -- do what you have in mind for them.

BUT ... that means your Kroot will be dying. Who then will claim objectives? Only Fire Warriors can do that.

And besides, at least one unit of Fire Warriors is required. You cannot field a legal Tau army list without them.

And yes, XV8s (Crisis suits) are points expensive. That's because they are so powerful! You'll be hard-pressed to field more than 10 in a 2000 pts list just because you need your Broadsides, some Pathfinders (who double as Devilfish providers to your Fire Warriors), and your Kroot investment, too. Taking the list I provided as a basis, you could conceivably chop out 1 unit of FWs and it's matching unit of Pathfinders. Filling up the remaining unit of Pathfinders to 8 models, you will have given yourself an additional 179 pts to work with.

It seems like you would also drop the piranhas, the additional 150 pts bringing you to 329 pts. Plus the 2 unused pts from the original, and assuming you fill out the Kroot to 10K + 5H for 100 pts even each, you'd have a grand total of 319 pts to spend on additional XV8s. That's the best you could do.

That said, I wouldn't recommend fielding an army with just a single devilfish in it as your only vehicles. In fact, if you go down to just 1 unit of FWs, I think 150 of those freed up pts needs to be spend on a 2nd unit of Piranhas because you'll just flat out need that blocking ability, not to mention the possibility of additional places to hide your battlesuits and give them cover.

Which means all you do by exchanging 1 unit of FWs and 1 unit of Pathfinders for 2 Piranhas is give yourself 29 pts to work with. Might as well just buy Hounds for those points.

10 XV8s really is the practical limit for a workable, competitive list. Vary from that, and your list becomes unbalanced and easy to take apart. It really is impossible for any army to simply blast another army directly off the table without some part of the enemy reaching you intact. Even vaunted IG armies that supposedly table all their opponents take heavy losses during the course of the game. And Tau aren't IG. They don't take catastrophic losses quite as easily, and they certainly aren't as tough as even the wimpy IG are when enemies close in on them! They depend on layered protection and mobility, whereas the IG depend on sheer mass of numbers.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast