Choices! (FA) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shining Spears

9 37.50%
  • Vypers

15 62.50%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choices! (FA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Choices! (FA)

Hey.

After reading the heresy that is the 5th ed Tyranid codex back when it was released this year I've once again picked up my Eldar.
    Since I've been trying out the few Warp Spiders I have to see if I like them I decided that they're a bit too - situational for me. So I started wondering about what to replace them with. The two things I have to work with being Shining Spears and Vypers (With rockets) since Swooping Hawks doesn't appeal to me at all.

I could always use a small squad dedicated to cleaning up stuff I don't kill in shooting, Shining spears with their Jetbikes and High Initiative S6 PW attacks standing out perfectly for this. But they'd practically need Hit and run to be good if my memory serves me right.

The second choice being more Vypers. I can replace my Warp spiders with 3 of them armed with rockets, putting me at 4 Vypers with rockets as I already got one. I can then run 2 squads of 2 for the extra few S8 shots or S4 blasts and being able to more easily keep my flying cardboard cut-outs alive as cover will be easier to get. I'll also be able to randomly start quoting the Team rocket signature song.

So, what does LO say? Shining spears or Vypers?

Cheers!

>:[

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

None. Use fire dragons and serpents
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by niraco View Post
    None. Use fire dragons and serpents
    I saw what you did there.

To answer the OPs question, between the two, Vipers are probably your best bet in that paticular situation. Vipers can do some reliable damage, but their BS 3 is killer, which is why most prefer wave serpents. Vypers do best with rapid fire weapons, so I'd recommend keeping them cheap, by just giving them a shruiken cannon and go for rear and side armour shots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

if its nids your worried about fire dragons are a prefered enemy, just get in range and nuke the monsters with your meltas. i think the shining spears are a better choice as vipers are fragile and more expensive in the long run (depending on the size of the SP squad).
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

I would say it depends on the list you are running. If the rest of the list is all in transports I would say the vypers are a better choice as they will stand out less and withstand small arms fire better. Now if you have a good tarpit or two that can hold up enemy units in assault for a round and let the spears finish them off then I would go that route.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Blasterdude3 View Post
    if its nids your worried about fire dragons are a prefered enemy, just get in range and nuke the monsters with your meltas. i think the shining spears are a better choice as vipers are fragile and more expensive in the long run (depending on the size of the SP squad).
    I'm the only one having a Tyranid army in my area, and I don't play against myself. Who wins is too predictable. I'm facing a lot of Marines(Chaos, red, blue, green, etc), Daemon hunters and Imperial Guard. I'm playing with an army focusing on speed, so a few tanks, jetbikes and such. Cheers!
    >:[

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nakaruru View Post
    I would say it depends on the list you are running. If the rest of the list is all in transports I would say the vypers are a better choice as they will stand out less and withstand small arms fire better. Now if you have a good tarpit or two that can hold up enemy units in assault for a round and let the spears finish them off then I would go that route.
    my thoughts exactly. if you choose vypers for the slot i'd be inclined to say using them with x2 shuriken cannons instead of a single missile launcher as it has the highest shots/point.
    Last edited by Gintoki; May 8th, 2010 at 12:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It absolutly depends on your style of play and compliments your warhost the best. If I'm rocking my mech list I will take my vypers in squads of two with star cannons and shuriken cannons. Pricey I know however their rate of fire make scrap of marines (I mean who else is there to play ). Played correctly and kept out of range of friggin bolters or anything with either fourtune or gide on them they are yet to let me down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to be really skilled to use them with the Shurikens, to shoot they are inside the danger zone from alot of targets, with a 36" weapon they are more out of reach to your targets

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Out of the 2, I say Vypers. I say either a Missile to compliment your heavy weapon fire, or a scatter laser to attempt to wreak havoc on side armor. I like shuriken cannons but they just bring u pretty close to the enemy. No point in 2 as you will probably be moving 12" every turn.

If I got choices for all the FA options, id say keep your warp spiders. death spinners and power blades with hit and run are good at mopping up small units.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast