Never take this unit - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: is the ethereal still even slightly usefull in tau lists?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes.

9 21.43%
  • never

33 78.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never take this unit

just throwing this out there for all the newbies. never take the Ethereal. he is a dinosaur hold over from 3rd ed. he is only in the book because he once had a purpose and people still have the models. that is the only reason he still exists in the codex.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

99% of the time I find the Ethereal useless. You have to take him for Combat patrol however and that's when you will need him.
    I am an Indestructible master of War.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you need to take an Ethereal for combat patrol?

I was the only guy who voted yes, apparently. I occasionally use one in friendly lists, mostly for the +1 BS fire warriors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit: Damn unreliable neighbor's internet!
    Last edited by Captain_Trips01; May 17th, 2010 at 07:39. Reason: Double post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Trips01 View Post
    Why do you need to take an Ethereal for combat patrol?

I was the only guy who voted yes, apparently. I occasionally use one in friendly lists, mostly for the +1 BS fire warriors.
    In any game around 500 pts, I will take an ethreal to get his Firewarrior body guard. Past 500-600 point games gun line Tau no longer work, and the +1 BS Firewarriors are no longer useful. In small games, and occasionally in special rules games like Cities of Death, the veteran body guards are worth bringing the ethreal... but that is about it.

P.S. I voted yes also mate.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Fluffwise, I have never been able to rectify the Tau's reverence and overprotectiveness of their Ethereal caste ... with allowing them to sit in the open on the battlefield. It just makes no sense. The fluff makes it obvious that Ethereals are making all the big decisions, the grand plans. They have no reason -- ever -- to be on the battlefield directly making small-scale decisions.

And even when they are on the battlefield, they are all but unprotected. They don't even wear armour?! Wha?!

And in game turns, taking a model that is easy to kill yet makes your entire army panic can't be condoned as "useful" no matter how far you stretch the definition.

Thumbs down on the Ethereal. He's always sucked, and 5th edition's True Line of Sight was the final nail in the coffin he was already resting in.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

Well I have always assumed there is a rank structure within the Ethreal caste, meaning there are lower level 'advisory' types that would oversee Cadre actions and such.

*shrug* The only reason I can come up with.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    Fluffwise, I have never been able to rectify the Tau's reverence and overprotectiveness of their Ethereal caste ... with allowing them to sit in the open on the battlefield. It just makes no sense. The fluff makes it obvious that Ethereals are making all the big decisions, the grand plans. They have no reason -- ever -- to be on the battlefield directly making small-scale decisions.

And even when they are on the battlefield, they are all but unprotected. They don't even wear armour?! Wha?!

And in game turns, taking a model that is easy to kill yet makes your entire army panic can't be condoned as "useful" no matter how far you stretch the definition.

Thumbs down on the Ethereal. He's always sucked, and 5th edition's True Line of Sight was the final nail in the coffin he was already resting in.

This, I totally agree with. The ethereal is a waste of space.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    This, I totally agree with. The ethereal is a waste of space.
    Ditto. Like the model, hate the gameplay.

If there's going to be an Ethereal in the new Codex next year, I'm going to laugh.

-Kai-Itza-

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Itza View Post
    Ditto. Like the model, hate the gameplay.
    Agreed. The Ethereal models are all very attractive. I've considered buying them just to make objective counters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Itza
    If there's going to be an Ethereal in the new Codex next year, I'm going to laugh.
    Oh, I'm sure they'll still exist. And I bet that even if the fluff doesn't change a bit (unlikely, however) that the unit itself will become a very strong contender for inclusion in at least some Tau army builds. All the 5e codexes have been brilliant from the standpoint of making every unit worth taking. I don't see why that should change when Tau get the 5e treatment. In fact, I'm counting on it!
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast