Help needed picking what to take - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help needed picking what to take

I have quite a large selection of models to pick from and looking to to sort out which ones to use force a decent force.
    Haven't played in ages (circa 1995) and the next time I actually play will probably be the UK meet up at WHW so I could do with a bit of help. Aiming for a 1500pts army I reckon.
    So here's what I own:

2 Tyrants
    3 Fexes
    Old one eye
    3 biovores
    20ish spore mines
    3 lictors
    30 - 40 genestealers
    40ish Termagants
    40ish Hornaguants
    15 Warriors
    1 old Tyrant model (to be turned into a prime)
    2 Zoanthropes
    1 old zoanthrope
    Trygon/Mawloc

I can also afford to buy a few extra if needed (hive/tyrants guard, venomthrope etc) but I don't really want to have to convert anything as I probably don't have time.

I realise I've not given much to go on but I am almost completely clueless at the moment.

Anything that springs to mind?
    Cheers in advance for any help.

Last edited by CunningStunt; May 18th, 2010 at 15:12.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

Hello and welcome!

Do you have the current nid codex? I'm assuming, but just want to be sure.

IMHO first you need to decide what kind of list you plan on fielding. All deep-strike? Swarm? MC heavy? Assault? Shooting? Once you determine that, the rest really falls in line.

After you decide on your list focus, you'll need to determine how you plan to handle all phases of the game. You'll need anti-troop, anti-tank, something to capture and hold objectives, etc...

From your models above I'd say you have a decent general collection. You could likely build a focused list with a little bit of planning. Personally I like the all deep-striking nid list. Flyrants with fexes in pods, zoans in pods, gaunts emerging from the trygon hole, etc... Has worked well for me even against the leafblower style lists.

Sorry I can't give you a specific list, it's difficult as I don't really know what you want to play. Determine your style/list focus and we can likely go from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I have a current codex. Trouble is, I may read something, think it sounds cool but really it may be awful and I wouldn't know due to lack of experience.

Hmm, not sure about the type of list really. MC heavy appeals as it would be quicker to paint certainly. On balance I'd say an assault focussed force with a liberal helping of MCs. Possibly one which would allow adding a few morenon-swarm troops to take it up to 2000 if I have the time to paint it before August.

Not sure about deepstriking due to lack of spores/having to convert a tyrant etc but could be persuaded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

156 (x3)

Gotcha. Lets see...

MCs in this edition are way more expensive. On the upside, there's MC options in every force org slot now. A general rule of thumb is one MC per 500 points. (I usually aim for half my points spent on MCs.)

Since your looking at a non deep-striking nid list, you're going to need survivability to get them across the board. That usually comes from numbers or hugging cover as much as possible. Since flying would require some conversions, we'll try to stear away from that. I'd probably throw something like this together:

HQ
    1-2 tyrants with guard.
    Elite
    2-3 zoans
    2-3 hive guard
    Doom or 1-3 lictors
    Heavy
    1-2 fexes (I prefer dakkafexes still.)
    1-2 trygon/mawloc
    Troops
    1-2 gaunt squads
    1-2 hormagaunt squads
    1-2 warrior squads

That's a general list. Depending on how you kit everything out it could be CC, shooting, etc... My only overall issue is that it's a slow, foot slogging list.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by CunningStunt View Post
    Yeah I have a current codex. Trouble is, I may read something, think it sounds cool but really it may be awful and I wouldn't know due to lack of experience.
    This isn't true of any of the new codexes anymore. Every unit is "good" and "useful". At least in some army list build.

No, really!

What's hard now is distilling down an actual "good" army list from all this wealth. It's so easy to make a hodgepodge that doesn't gel together as a coherent army list that is mutually supporting and effective on the tabletop.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    This isn't true of any of the new codexes anymore. Every unit is "good" and "useful". At least in some army list build.

No, really!

What's hard now is distilling down an actual "good" army list from all this wealth. It's so easy to make a hodgepodge that doesn't gel together as a coherent army list that is mutually supporting and effective on the tabletop.
    Well this is still something I wouldn't be able to work out without help. Never played nids before and not played 40k since 2nd Ed.

HQ
    1-2 tyrants with guard.
    Elite
    2-3 zoans
    2-3 hive guard
    Doom or 1-3 lictors
    Heavy
    1-2 fexes (I prefer dakkafexes still.)
    1-2 trygon/mawloc
    Troops
    1-2 gaunt squads
    1-2 hormagaunt squads
    1-2 warrior squads

That's a general list. Depending on how you kit everything out it could be CC, shooting, etc... My only overall issue is that it's a slow, foot slogging list.
    Cheers for that, i'll delve into the dex and see what i can conjure. Would a unit of venom's possibly help with protecting units during the advance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

156 (x3)

In theory yes, venomthropes should protect you as you advance. In practice though, the abundance of 4+ saves on a board usually outweighs the mobile 5+ save. I've yet to see anyone really happy with the venomthrope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does this list look? Comes to 1449 so have 50 extra points to add a couple or biomorphs

HT - 2 sets of talons, implant attack - 305
    2 tyrant guard

Prime - devourer, pair of bone swords - 90
    2 zoans - 120

2 Hive Guard- 100

2 fexes with 2 tl devourers - 190

Trygon - 200

10 terms - 50

10 terms - 50

10 horms - 60

10 horms - 60

8 genes - 112

8 genes - 112

It's more troops than I wanted really as it will take me ages to paint but I guess you have to expect lots of gribblies with a nid army.
    Last edited by CunningStunt; May 18th, 2010 at 21:07. Reason: my maths is awful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

if there all footslogging i'd say take away 10 horms and terms and a gene squad, add a 3x squad of warriors try to keep the squad around 120 ish points, (venom cannons are fun toys)

leave with you 140 or so points to upgrade your gribble and get more upgrades for other units, I's suggest a HVC on the walking tyrant and toxin sacs/adren glands on the horms terms.

rest looks okay to me, maybe do some math and double up on your hive guard rest is up to you
    Last edited by Fenix; May 18th, 2010 at 21:52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew something was missing. Warriors! Much needed synapse.

Okay so hows this:

HT - talons, Heavy Venom Cannon, implant attack - 330
    2 tyrant guard

Prime - devourer, pair of bone swords - 90
    2 zoans - 120

2 Hive Guard- 100

1 fex with 2 tl devourers, Bio plasma - 195

Trygon Prime - Regeneration - 265

10 terms - Toxin sacs - 60

10 horms - Toxin sacs - 80

10 genes - 140

3 Warriors - scything talons, devourers, 1 with Venom cannon - 115

Total: 1500
    Last edited by CunningStunt; May 18th, 2010 at 22:23.

+ Reply to Thread