Necrons - Start now, or wait til new Codex? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    100 (x5)

Necrons - Start now, or wait til new Codex?

Hey guys,
    I haven't played 40k since 3rd/4th ed, I've just started familarising myself with the new rules for 5th, and looking at getting back into the game with Necrons.

I've heard that the New rules don't fare well for the current Necron Codex - i.e. Only troops as scoring units, Glancing hits less effective (as in with gauss), and Close Combat more brutal than ever (not the 'crons strong point).

Are Necrons still competitive in 5th ed, or would I be better off waiting til their new codex gets released (start of 2011, I hear)? If I'm only going to have the floor wiped with my 'crons every game, it won't exactly encourage me to stay in the hobby.

I usually get one of two stories - Necrons are pushovers, or Necrons are complete cheese. Then I also hear it's all about how you play them, which I'm inclined to believe - as it would explain the previous two accounts.

Also, any must-have units, and any to avoid at all costs?

Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
    By the powers I have just made up I, hereby award you with the Signature
    LO's Offical Uber GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMane View Post
    dr_nick you are LO's GMing god!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necrons got Nerfed alot yeah, it's more of a challenge now to win against expereienced commanders BUT not impossible and the challenge makes it more fun in my opinion ( trying to find weakesses, more tactical planning/movement to avoid CC etc) you'll need Warriors,Destroyers and atleast a lord with a ress orb to keep youre army going. the rest depends on youre gaming style.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Anyone who calls Necrons cheese in 5th edition hasn't played since 4th edition. Pre 5th we had some pretty awsome firepower. With the increased durability of vehicles and close combat in 5th edition we got double hammered. I would argue the most successful Necron list will have at least 1 Monolith, 1 Ctan (Deceiver preferred), 10+ destroyers, 3x10 Warriors, Lord+Orb at 2000points. The rest is your points spread.

Basically without being able to POP vehicles quickly we can't spend our time whittling down units very often and you'll find we have a major mobility problem. Our warriors rarely survive to actually get portalled out of CC (due to sweeping advance), etc. We also don't have much in the way of low AP firepower as heavy destroyers are overpriced for what they are and sadly ineffective most of the time.

Is it possible for us to win, yes. Is it as easy as it was with 4th edition not even close! In fact the word competitive shouldn't be used with Necrons in the same sentence anymore. We're durable, I'll give you that...but that's it, 5 marines can sweep 10 warriors pretty easy. Stupid, given they have the same stat line....in fact I had a buddy sweep 10 of mine with 5 scouts!!!!
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

I've started necrons only after 5th ed. came out so all I can tell is whats here and now. Well, my experience is that due to having very little choice in units it is hard to make a totally bad necron list. Most lists end up being "okayish", because the best units you can ever have are the ones you probably take anyway: Warriors and Destroyers. Due to lack of options and old codex you will probably lose if you meet an experienced player with "top-of-the-line" competitive list. This is mostly because an experienced player knows necrons weaknesses and new, shiny codexes give him better stuff with fewer points due to inflation.

Against average player with average list you are more likely to have an advanatge because he is unlikely to know how necrons fight and how to fight against them. They'll probably mistake you for an avergae MEQ and be in for a very harsh surprise when your Monoliths ignore melta hits and your warriors glance Land Raiders into immobile, weaponless terrain-pieces with what he thought to be a bolter.

As for units you should have: Lord with Orb, 30 Warriors and 8+ Destroyers is a very soldi core to build around.
    As for units you should not have: Heavy Destroyers aren't just really worth their huge point cost and very iffy effectivity.
    Everything else is personal preference and depends a lot on the kind of list you run.
    Last edited by Polaria; May 18th, 2010 at 18:52.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might as well start them now, they have no where to go but up.

As for must have, warriors are about the only thing. Since some people run wraiths as opposed to destroyers. Or a C'tan instead of a lord.

A battle force is a pretty good starting place as well as the codex. Pick up a lord or C'tan (I roll with the Deceiver) and off you go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ascendedjesse View Post
    Might as well start them now, they have no where to go but up.

As for must have, warriors are about the only thing. Since some people run wraiths as opposed to destroyers. Or a C'tan instead of a lord.

A battle force is a pretty good starting place as well as the codex. Pick up a lord or C'tan (I roll with the Deceiver) and off you go.
    Depending on what army you play. Wraiths are powerhouses against lists with relatively poor saves (think 4+ or worse) but they really struggle against MEQ lists because of the lack of rending or power weapons on wraiths. As such, I find destroyers preferable as you get the same S6 juiciness but at considerable range and improved toughness.

Yeah, its possible to choose one HQ choice over the other but ResOrb is generally regarded as the staple unit, though its not unheard of to run C'tan in its place. In larger pts games, I run both the C'tan and the ResOrb lord, getting the powerhouse and the security of the phalanx.
    Necrons W68-D13-L10 (3rd edition codex)
    Necrons W3-D1-L1 (latest codex)
    Skaven still being assembled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Might as well start now. If you wait and see you'll forever be waiting for new Codices, new models, errata and tourney results.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a little odd in that I run with Nightbringer. While Deceiver has the initiative and the special rules, Nightbringer is amazing against heavy targets, squads with good armor saves due to his blast template attack, hordes and anything he can get into close combat with. In one game he annihilated Pedro Cantor and his honor guard in two turns of CC...saving my Warriors. Unfortunately he killed them on my turn so his Land Raider managed to finish him off with it's lascannons and hunter-killer missile...such go the dice rolls. I run him with a Orb Lord, which still gives me just enough points for my 6 destroyers and about 30 warriors and a full squad of scarabs. Now this list could really use a Monolith. I tend to use scarabs to tie in heavy weapons or assaulty units that I need to tarpit a turn so I can shoot and bring Nightbringer in for the kill.
    Dark Lord of the 'Crons

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

My win record should speak for itself. Yes necrons are competetive, but ONLY if your a good player. You have to consider your list carefully and listen to advice until you get what you think best suits your playstyle while remaining competetive. Personally I'm gonna say wait 2 weeks for my tactica (i'm pretty exited about it, there will finally be a all inclusive detailed necron tactica on here). But thats only because I have a planet sized ego

But seriously, if you keep one thing in mind yoyu cant go wrong: Yeah, im crap at killing stuff but I play crons. Everything short of a russ is crap at killing me!

EDIT: Also there is a price increase coming up soon so yeah, buy EVERYTHING until then, here is a good website to use: http://www.darksphere.co.uk/
    Last edited by shas_on_u; May 24th, 2010 at 23:58.
    Ye Old Necrons (R.I.P.) (7000pts) W52 D5 L9
    New Crons!!! (5000pts) W1 D1 L1
    Blood Angels (2500pts) W4 D0 L1

+ Reply to Thread