Questions about the tervigon and a possible army list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions about the tervigon and a possible army list

Ok im not 100% on all of this but would it be good to run 2 HQ of tervigon?
    As for the 6 inch range for the counter attack and granting adrenal glands. Does 1 model of the group of termigaunts need to be in range for the whole unit to get it?. And it says its Dominion is used at the beginning of your turn. Could i same turn use onslaught or catalyst also?

Here is a theoretical army idea

2 tervigon HQ
    2 or 3 troops of termies
    1 or 2 steeler group.
    2 hive gaurd
    2 hive gaurd
    2 trygons
    its a quick idea i need to do points and flush it out but its sort of what im sitting on now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

1) Eh, I prefer the flexibility of a Tyrant, but it really depends on the rest of your list.
    2) Yup, only 1 model needs to be in 6 inches so you could string the brood out while keeping coherency.
    3) No, models may only use 1 Psychic Power per turn unless they have a special rule that says otherwise (like the swarmlord).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

There's not really much to be gained from having the Tervigons as HQs, when there exists the awesome option of making them scoring. A cheap-o solution for the HQ would be to take a Warrior Prime with a pair of boneswords costing less than a hundred points, then take the 2-3 groups of Termagants and both Tervigons as Troops. Add in 1-2 broods of Genestealers and you've got yourself a nice, hefty number of scoring units that also hurt a lot!

As for the Tervigon's Brood Progenitor, I'm 99,7% sure (since I recall seeing similar abilities ruled this way, like Big Meks' KFF) that only one model in the brood needs to be within reach for it to affect the brood. Do note, though, that this also applies to the "backlash" if/when the Tervigon kicks the bucket. Finally, as with other psykers, unless otherwise specified they are only allowed to use one psychic power per turn. The only one in the Tyranid Codex who can use more than one per round is the Swarmlord.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright thanks that helps a lot. I was thinking Onslaught on raveners as fast attack would be a good combo. Move, Run, Shoot, Charge if i read it right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Genobraker2004 View Post
    Alright thanks that helps a lot. I was thinking Onslaught on raveners as fast attack would be a good combo. Move, Run, Shoot, Charge if i read it right.
    As long as they didn't come on the board in the same turn.

Suggestion for your list though.. Drop the Termigants. With 2 Tervigon's as HQ you don't need them as troops and they will be put on the board as the Tervi's produce them. Use the points for some extra oomph. Deathleaper, Raveners, Zoanthropes.. something. Take the 2 groups of 'stealers as your mandatory Troops and let your HQ spawn the rest.

just my $.02

-Dragons

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Ridell brings up excellent points, but the reason one would take Tervigons as HQs instead of Troops is to do things like Dragons suggested: put power elsewhere in the list. You're guaranteed 4 Troops choices with two Tervigon HQs and minimal Troops choices. And even a Prime typically costs around 100 pts ... that's 100 pts that can't go somewhere else.

Beyond that, keeping 1 or more tervigons as HQ frees up Troops slots for other options. Almost all of the time, if you take 1 Tervigon you should really take 2. (Because the tervigon is such a force multiplier that putting only 1 on the table invites its quick demise at the hands of a focused enemy.) And if you take 'em both as Troops, that's 4 of your 6 Troops slots used up right there, leaving you with only 2 other Troops slots for anything else that might be useful (e.g., Warriors, Hormagaunts, Genestealers). And you still don't have an HQ.

And as much as tervigons can enhance termagants, termagants will never be as uber as hormagaunts or 'stealers could be, and they fill a completely different function from Warriors. And all of those other Troops options deserve serious consideration, too.

And, of course, the death of a tervigon can doom your swarm quick. So he's a possible liability as well that must be balanced against his benefits.

In the final analysis, tervigons fit best in either a 'nidzilla theme or a horde theme. Outside of that, I wouldn't look to take tervigons as Troops ... well, hardly ever. I might not take them as an HQ, either, but outside of those two themes, HQ is really the best slot for a tervigon.
    Last edited by number6; May 18th, 2010 at 21:02.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread