Normal Stealer's Vs Ymgarl Stealer's - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Normal Stealer's Vs Ymgarl Stealer's

Was going vs an Ork army and want to surprise my buddy with the outflank/Dormant,
    Does the Ymgarl really worth the extra points?

Pros:
    -Batter start point
    -Mutate
    -Assault upon arrival
    -Batter Armor Save

Cons:
    - +9 Pts/Model
    -No Broodlord
    -No upgrades

Discussion and advices please

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used Ymgarl 'Stealers for the first time in my last game, and that dormant rule can be crazy good. It's true that your opponent can just fill up all the area terrain with his own units, therefore destroying your Ymgarl's before they're even in. But if you're lucky, they may forget about them entirely! And if they don't, they act as a brilliant psychological threat along the lines of Lictors/Deathleaper. Forcing your enemy to not only watch their rear, flank, and forward sides, but also be wary of all area terrain is incredibly useful.

I generally only play games with one building, and mostly against Eldar. Ymgarls work wonders against Rangers!

While they are way more expensive, I think the Dormant ability is well worth in. In addition lying dormant, the possibility of having T5 every other turn means you may be able to keep a few more alive longer than standard 'Stealers. Also, the ability to move, run, and assult upon arrival is also astounding. It's like a "free", unscattering deep strike landing with a cover save, with a technical assault range of 18".

However, I believe comparing the two is a little unfair as I feel they are meant to be used slightly differently. As the codex says, 'Stealers are good shock troopers, or glass cannons. Surprise outflank and hopefully destroy a unit, if they can continue unhindered after this, that's a great benefit! As mentioned before, I think Ymgarls make a great psychological distraction, as well as being standard Genestealers++. The lack of a Broodlord further emphasises the difference between the two units, and how they should be used.

Hope I was some help!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

what is the size for the brood of Ymragls to be most point affective? a pys' affect for 230 is a bit steep in a 1500 game..... (am I wrong?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Horowitz Tal View Post
    what is the size for the brood of Ymragls to be most point affective? a pys' affect for 230 is a bit steep in a 1500 game..... (am I wrong?)
    Umm in the Eldar game I mentioned, I fielded five (115pts) in a 1500pt game. Sprung out of some trees not far from his rangers and destroyed them pretty well, then the last went on to immobilise a transport.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I don't think Ymgarls should be used in games less than 1850 pts. They're otherwise too expensive.

The 'nids codex is clearly designed for bigger games. A lot of the more tactically interesting unit options just can't be pulled out until those bigger games because 'nids require a rather large points investment just to put a basically competitive army on the table.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    ...'nids require a rather large points investment just to put a basically competitive army on the table.
    I would have to argue this statement, after recently playing a 4 player 750 point free for all and coming up ontop with nids I think they have proven them selves to be more then competitive.

I used 2 Tervigons for HQs 3Hive guard and Termigants and that was the extent of my list.

I think you underestimate the power of the swarm.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

From the games ive played, Ymgarls tend to work better when you have a list that can deal with transports quite quickly. If your having to rely on zoanthropes or for some reason your anti tank dosnt work, the ymgarls tend to just die for no real effect. However if you can get them a good enough target, they are much better than standard genestealers, more surviavble with a greater damage output.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Ymgarls are quite good, however, they serve a rather different function than the regular genestealers. Comparing them to normal genes is like comparing a tactical marine to a terminator. Basically, it's a preference thing. If you like them, you can have your candy and eat it too - take both ymgarls and normal genes. Just keep in mind that ymgarls are usually a 1-use unit. They come out, wipe out something and die next turn. Thus I'd keep them small, usually a unit of 5.

The main thing about ymgarls is that they take up an elite slot, probably the most competitive FOC slot in the nid codex. They have to compete against hive guards, zoans, the doom and even a deathleaper. I like them, but I prefer something a little more durable and less reliant on deployment (if the enemy knew about them, they can easily deploy away from terrain or cover up terrain so that the ymgarls cannot deploy in it).

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    'nids require a rather large points investment just to put a basically competitive army on the table.
    On the contrary, it's quite the opposite. Nidzilla dominates in lower point games. In 1000pts, you can fit up to 5 TMC's in a list!!! Tell me whose got the firepower to take out all those monstrous creatures at low-points games.
    Last edited by jy2; May 23rd, 2010 at 17:55.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

I very much like Ymgarl Stealers and think that they probably are worth their points. Personally I wouldn't field them in less than 8s.

Their shapechanging option is very useful allowing you to tailor their attack to the enemy unit(s) they face. In my last game with them (a three a side 1500 each game) my Ymgarls arrived in a centrally placed wood about 18" from their board egde, immediately enaged two enemy units destroying both in 2 rounds, and moving onto a large Guard HQ with Feel No Pain. They worked extremely well.

Like almost every unit type in every Codex, you will have games where the acheive very little, but as a general rule I think you will find them pretty good.

As ever, try 'em out in friendless first.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

@klondiker, jy2: Low-points 'nid armies are totally unbalanced armies. They are "rocks" to some army's "scissors", and are also just as vulnerable to anotehr army's "paper".

For example, my Tau have tabled every 'nid opponent I've played at less than 1500 pts. (And I have won all but one game against 'nids at 1500 pts with my Tau, too.) But once we're up to playing 1850 pts and 2000 pts, suddenly the games are significantly more competitive. In fact, I'm still learning how best to fight 'nids with Tau, though I am getting more reliable wins as time has been going on.

All it takes is a particular army build and almost any 'nids army built at less than 1500 pts is rather easily defeated. It's a pretty terrible low-points army.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast