Ork Trukk/Nobz Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Ork Trukk/Nobz Question

Simple question, are Ork Trukks assault vehicles? I see a lot of mention of rolling a Trukk up to something and using your Boyz/Nobz/whatever, to assault a squad or tank but I see no mention in the codex of it being an assault vehicle.

My second question, are Nobz worth it in 1000 point games? I'm trying to write up a fun 1000 point army and I really love the CC effectiveness of Nobz with a couple of power klaws, a bunch of big choppas and a WAAAAGHHH! banner, but it seems to cost a lot of points. Should I run them in 1000 pts or wait until the list gets bigger?

World Eaters: W-47 D-10 L-9
    Necrons: W-19 D-3 L-2
    Protectorate of Menoth: W-36 D-0 L-7

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

I don't know where you are getting the 'Assault vehicle' thing, but trukks are open-topped vehicles and can move 12" (13" with RPJ) and the passengers can jump out in any direction from the trukk...then assault in the assault phase. So yeah, trukks basically rock!

All Nobz do is kill everything and win games. So if you don't need that, don't take them. Otherwise, find room for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assault ramp is a space marine land raider rule. we need no stinking rulz. waaaagh
    Take a small nob squad. and dont forget the painboy. keep upgrades to a minimum though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Nobs in 1k is always a bit hit an miss due to their points cost. In 1k, I'd rather take boyz with a PK nob, but thats just me.

Also, depending on what you want your Nobs to do... the painboy is optional, as if you're going to throw them up against your oppoents hard stuff with power weapons or AP 1 and 2 stuff, then he's just a massive points sink, and in 1k, you want all of your points working for you.
    If however, you want them going up against weaker stuff, like normal bog standard squads of whatever, he is very handy.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nobs are always effective, but at a thousand points i don't think they're cost effective.

The kind of nobs unit you're describing could wind up costing at least a third of the total army... and then suddenly orks don't have the one advantage we usually have... numbers...

nobs are tempting because at a thousand points we could still see ARM 13 or 14... but... there are other places to put those points..

Or, just run a thousand points of nobs on bikes. I don't think that's ever lost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Rage View Post
    Simple question, are Ork Trukks assault vehicles? I see a lot of mention of rolling a Trukk up to something and using your Boyz/Nobz/whatever, to assault a squad or tank but I see no mention in the codex of it being an assault vehicle.
    Simple answer; no they are Fast and Open-topped. I assume you've been led astray by someone referring to some vehicles as assualt vehicles. As Beest says "assault ramp" is a special rule for a Land Raider that allows those we-get-the-cheapest-and-best-of-everything-marines to initiate an assault after disembarking from an armoured transport vehicle.

Open-topped means (as Cossack says) all the passengers can jump out of the vehicle after it has stopped moving and assault as long as the vehicle hasn't moved flat out / over 12" (or 13" with Red Paint Job). Unfortunately it also means that open-topped vehicles are vulnerable to blast template weapons.

Don't worry though, Trukks have the Ramshackle special rule, which makes them unpredictable on the battlefield - yes your trukk might just explode on the spot, but there's a chance it'll career out of control into your opponent's infantry gunline before detonating with disasterous consequences (for him/her).
    If green power armour is good enough for the Fallen One, then its good enough for the rest of us...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x3)

How are open-topped vehicles vulnerable to blast template weapons? I don't understand that one.....

There are often comments on LO about how vulnerable trukks are...as if that's a reason to not get one. I totally disagree. The trukk zips forward and that's it. If it dies, your boyz are right where they need to be anyway. And it can protect the passengers just because they cannot be gunned down until the trukk is destroyed - an remember the ramshackle table - it works in the orks' favor.

Trukks are fantastic coming on from reserve and since it seems most players like to go SECOND you should get a decent chance to use it during setup before anybody shoots at it. And finally, it's very easy to put the trukk in cover if there's any terrain on the table at all.

Trukk are amazing. 35 points with a big shoota. Compare that to a warbuggy!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    How are open-topped vehicles vulnerable to blast template weapons? I don't understand that one.....

There are often comments on LO about how vulnerable trukks are...as if that's a reason to not get one. I totally disagree. The trukk zips forward and that's it. If it dies, your boyz are right where they need to be anyway. And it can protect the passengers just because they cannot be gunned down until the trukk is destroyed - an remember the ramshackle table - it works in the orks' favor.

Trukks are fantastic coming on from reserve and since it seems most players like to go SECOND you should get a decent chance to use it during setup before anybody shoots at it. And finally, it's very easy to put the trukk in cover if there's any terrain on the table at all.

Trukk are amazing. 35 points with a big shoota. Compare that to a warbuggy!
    Trukks ARE vulnerable and very easily broken. And by this I don't mean don't take them, I just mean don't put expensive stuff in them, and spam the crap out of them.

Open Topped vehicles are the same as assault vehicles in the sense that you can assault after moving up to 12''.

And personally, I don't think nobs are worth it till you start running out of force org slots. Ork boys will capture objectives and for the cost of a 6-7 man krew of nobs in a trukk with a decent loadout, you can have two 12 man squads of orks with trukks. Sure, they may not kill as much, but they have twice as many wounds and a boatload more attacks.
    Nurgle, the freshmaker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x3)

How are they vulnerable to BLAST TEMPLATE weapons?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that is a relic rule from a previous edition. Open topped used to take 2 hits from blast weapons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast