5th edition FAQ: The Frequently Asked Questions about Necrons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th edition FAQ: The Frequently Asked Questions about Necrons

Well, I took the time to read through all of the Necron FAQ, and decided that 23 Pages to read through is a pain in the butt! Especially if you are looking for a single question. So I am taking the time to make 1 post on 1 page, so people can use the CTRL+F and type “MONOLITH” and all the FAQ pertaining to the monolith will be there!

A Question might pertain to multiple units, if it does, I will put the question in for each unit, so please don’t yell at me like, “YOU PUT THAT TWICE!”

NECRON LORDS

Q: If I give my Necron Lord the Warscythe upgrade, Do I get the Gauss Blaster as well?
    A: No, You lose the ability to shoot with the lord. This is in the FAQ that GW released and is also located on Pg17 of the Necron Codex.

Q: Can my monolith help me re-roll my res-orb rolls?
    A: YES! Any unit that has an opportunity for WBB Rolls (including Res orb) will Re-Roll.

Q: Does the Warscythe upgrade count towards my total wargear?
    A: NO, the warscythe is not in the wargear section, which means that the lord can total 210 points (assuming you take every upgrade possible

Q: Is the staff of light a gauss Weapon?
    A: GOOD QUESTION! I was under the impression that EVERYTHING necron related was considered gauss. The book does not state what it is exactly, but more than likely it is NOT a gauss weapon.

Q: What happens if my Lord with Resorb is caught in Sweeping advance?
    A: The entire unit is removed as a casualty with no chance of WBB. The units that died in combat may still make their WBB under the circumstance that you can get a unit over there.

Q: If I use the monolith to teleport a unit next to my lord with orb, do the units that were denied WBB get it after that?
    A: No, they do not, Range for the orb is checked at the time of casualty and Rolled at the beginning of the necron turn.

MONOLITH

Q:When I shoot with my monolith, where do I measure from for the Flux Arc and for the Whip? I got in a decent argument with a couple buddies during a game over this one.
    A:Page 3 of the FAQ, In the question, "Can the Monolith fire its particle whip and gauss flux projectors in the same turn?", The answer is ANYWHERE where there is a gun.

Q:Can the monolith teleport a broken unit?
    A: YES, and here is what happens. The unit will Re-roll ALL WBB rolls, and is IMMEDIATELY regrouped. REASON? Because you just Disembarked from a transport. Please read the Transport rules to better understand

Q: Does The Monolith need LOS to a unit that I want to have teleported?
    A: No, the codex just states if the unit is in range.

Q: What does the Monolith’s Living metal rule affect?
    A: Very nifty rule. It Negates the following:
    RENDING, TANK HUNTER, LANCE, CHAINFISTS, MONSTER CREATURE ATTACKS, MELTA, And anything that would get more than 1 dice for armor penetration.

Q: What about the Vindicare assassin?
    A: NEGATED! Read the monolith’s living metal rule well enough, and it even says that attacks made apun the monolith are made with UNAGMENTED STRENGTH.

Q: Does that mean Power Klaws and Thunderhammers are at STR 4?
    A: NO. Those augment the USER strength. Anything augmenting the weapon strength on the HIT is negated!

Q: Does Living Metal Affect the AP1?
    A: No…Actually the reason that AP1 even came out was so that people could kill the monolith. J

Q: Can my monolith help me re-roll my res-orb rolls?
    A: YES! Any unit that has an opportunity for WBB Rolls (including Res orb) will Re-Roll.

Q: Can a unit Assult after teleporting through the monlith?
    A: Yes, it counts as a stationary vehicle...of course that is also if the monolith does not move first. (that also means deep striking)

Q: What is the max squad size that the monolith may teleport due to the 2” of the transport rule?
    A: 17 models, 2 rows of 6 near the door, and 1 row of 5 (also making sure that everything is in perfect contact.)

Q:I heard there was a way to fit more than 17. is this true?
    A:Actually, YES. as long as the squad numbers 17 AT THE TIME that it is pulled through the monolith. after WBB rolls are made, They must be within 2" of the SQUAD...so think about that. go plant on an objective or something

Q: Can the monolith deploy warriors the turn it deep stikes?
    A: Yes, You roll for reserves like normal, if (minimum) a monolith and a warrior squad are elegible for reserve, deepstrike the mono, roll scatter, and then place the units at the portal. If the warriors are eligible and the monolith is not, then the warriors must roll again to see if they will deploy. It is NOT an automatic “we will come out when the monolith does” kind of roll. (Trainer says that they will still be ready even after they pass their rolls. can i get another confrimation? or something to back up trainer's words?)

Q: What size blast template does the monlith use for particle whip?
    A: Large blast. Do remember that the Center of the blasé (the hole) is AP1!

Q: Can the monolith deep strike wherever it wants?
    A: Yes, even on top of enemy units. (But do realize that you will still have to roll scatter!)

Q: Is the Monolith allowed to Use it’s GFA (flux arc) after deep striking?
    A: Seems that a lot of people disagree about this! But let me make this CLEAR AS DAY! The answer to start with, is YES, it can. Why? The ponderous rule states that the monolith CAN only move 6” in a turn. No faster. Games workshop does not want you moving the monolith Flat out for a reason! Because if you did, you would STILL be able to fire the particle whip at flat out, and that just isn’t fair! Therefore, ponderous means 6” ONLY. (Although, it would be scary as hell if a monolith came CHARGING AT YOU! Blasting the crap out of your landraider!...Thats scary! )

Q: Can a monolith be Glanced to death?
    A: NO! the rulebook clearly states that ALL the weapons must be destroyed and it must be immobilized with 1 more damaging hit…Unfortunately for the opponent, the Power matrix IS NOT DESTROYABLE, so therefore, it cant be glanced to death.

Q: particle whip is ordnance but is considered using the power matrix. if fired can i still shoot the gauss flux arc, or does firing the ordnance weapon stop the mono from that
    A: Yes, ordnance stops the GFA from firing. Sorry.

PHASE OUT

Q: What’s the easiest way to determine my phase out number?
    A: Add up everything with the NECRON rule, and divide the total by 4.
    Don't forget fractions don't count. 12.5 means you LOSE when you hit 12 necrons, not 13. If 25% is 10 then you lose at 9 because it's LESS than, not less than or equal to 25%

WBB ROLLING

Q: Do Necrons get a WBB Roll against Rending?
    A: As GW pointed out, YES AND NO! Ranged attacks, we DO get WBB saves from, Whereas MELEE count as power weapons!...Which IMO, is CRAP!

Q: What happens to models that are not eligible for WBB rolls? Do they stay?
    A: Yes, as the necron codex states that Necrons that are downed are counted as debris only, until the WBB Roll is made.

Q: Cool! My single warrior is in range for WBB! So now my entire squad get it!
    A: Not quite, please re-read the entry for WBB, it says MODEL, which is singular, so every MODEL must be within 6” to make the save.

Q: if my necrons get the crap kicked out of them, and they flee, and another unit is 6” from the corpses, will they join that unit?
    A: No, listen carefully. Until the ORIGINAL unit runs off the board, then only the Original unit may let them make their WBB rolls.

Q: Does AP1 and AP2 prevent WBB Rolls?
    A: NO! it denies Feel no Pain, but not WBB. (and just so everyone knows, GW is considering FNP for necrons! >.<)

Q: Can a unit that made a WBB roll move and assult as normal?
    A: Yes, WBB is rolled Pre Necron turn. Nor does WBB count as moving!

WRAITHS

Q: the wraith has 3 base attacks, but in the description, it says that wraiths have 2 CC Weapons! So does that mean I have 4 and 5 on the charge?
    A: Ahhh, The number of times I have been in this argument…Personally, I would say YES, but a lot of people say no. and they say no because, the wraith has 3 weapon (claw(S) and Barbed tail) and that is supposed to represent the base 3 attacks the wraith has.
    Everytime I use wraiths though, I ask my opponent if they disagree about it, and if they do, I will say, “lets roll a die, and on a 4-6 they have the extra weapon, and on a 1-3 they are stuck with base 3 with no weps” After all, it is fair because GW did not state this very clearly. This topic is indeed VERY arguable. Just Be sure not to argue with a games workshop person if they say no. (everyone else is fun to argue with J lol)(and I guarantee, that when this is posted, after people read it, I will get a LOT of YOU CANT DO THAT! ITS NOT RIGHT!)

Q: So wraiths can turbo boost, Whats the difference between a wraith turbo boosting and an eldar jetbike turbo boosting?
    A: In the FAQ, Wraiths may turbo boost through ANY kind of terrain, and even INTO terrain. They are the ONLY jetbike type unit that CAN do that AND ignore dangerous terrain tests!

Q: Do my wraiths have an Armor save as well?
    A: Yes, GW put it in the FAQ that wraiths do have a 3+ armor as well as a 3+ invul. And if you are denied armor, and fail invul in CC, you will NOT be able to bring them back (unless an orb is present).

SCARABS

Q: Why are there 4 scarabs on a base when they only have 3 wounds?
    A: Kinda funny. You can put either 3 or 4 (or 1 if you want), but it fills the base and makes it look “Swarmier” another way to look at this….on the charge, Scarabs have 4 attacks! J

Q: if I have just 1 scarab on a base, is that still WYSIWYG?
    A: it’s a scarab isn’t it? YES!

IF THERE IS ANYTHING YOU THINK I SHOULD ADD, OR IF I GOT SOMETHING WRONG, just post a message, and i will edit this post to put it in there. that way it stays searchable!

Just Remember one thing. Rules are not perfected. they are meant to be toyed with.

Argue the rules down below, but i will keep this edited with conclusions of all discussions.

Last edited by KizzyPop; June 24th, 2010 at 15:42.
    Necrons and Tau
    Necrons - W5 D0 L0
    Tau - W18 D2 L4

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

CORRECTIONS:

NECRON LORDS

Q: Is the staff of light a gauss Weapon?
    A: No, every Gauss weapon has Gauss in the title.

MONOLITH

Q: Can the monolith teleport a broken unit?
    A: Yes, (The auto regrouping part is very Argueable...)

Q: What does the Monolith’s Living metal rule affect?
    A: It specifically states it denies 2d6 for armor pen, that's all.

Q: Can a unit Assult after teleporting through the monlith?
    A: Yes, it counts as a stationary vehicle, AS LONG AS THE MONOLITH DID NOT MOVE FIRST!

Q:Can the monolith deploy warriors the turn it deep stikes?
    A: Yes, However the warriors have to have rolled a reserve roll to be available too. If the warriors become available turn 2, but the monolith is not, when the monolith IS available the warriors do not have to RE-roll as they already succeeded once.

Q: Can the monolith deep strike wherever it wants?
    A: You may not PURPOSELY place it on a unit. If it scatters onto a unit, no big deal, but you may not purposely land on his unit. Same rule applies to Drop pods for Space marines...they can MOVE off, but not target a unit. The key is purposely targetting invalid terrain.

Q: Is the Monolith allowed to Use it’s GFA (flux arc) after deep striking?
    A: No, it says it can only move 6" in normal movement, but it still moved cruising speed as the rulebook states.

Q: Can a monolith be Glanced to death?
    A: Arguable again, each weapon destroyed results in a -1 on the D6 roll. The arguement is you cannot go NEGATIVE. At best you should be able to survive 1 immobilized, and 6 weapon destroyed results, and on the 7th weapon destroyed should be gone. Again, not clear either way though.

Q: particle whip is ordnance but is considered using the power matrix. if fired can i still shoot the gauss flux arc, or does firing the ordnance weapon stop the mono from that
    A: Yes, ordnance stops the GFA from firing. Sorry.

PHASE OUT

Q: What’s the easiest way to determine my phase out number?
    A: Don't forget fractions don't count. 12.5 means you LOSE when you hit 12 necrons, not 13. If 25% is 10 then you lose at 9 because it's LESS than, not less than or equal to 25%.

WBB ROLLING

Q: What happens to models that are not eligible for WBB rolls? Do they stay?
    A: They would only be NOT eligible for WBB if they were downed by a power weapon in CC or double toughness. You test for RES orb immediately, if they are denied WBB they do not stay on the table.

WRAITHS

Q: the wraith has 3 base attacks, but in the description, it says that wraiths have 2 CC Weapons! So does that mean I have 4 and 5 on the charge?
    A: Again, GW has ruled on this that the 3 attacks are built in. However, agreed it's unclear directly in the Codex.

Q: So wraiths can turbo boost, Whats the difference between a wraith turbo boosting and an eldar jetbike turbo boosting?
    A: AND ignore dangerous terrain tests!

I agree, our rules aren't perfected....seriously itching for a new codex...but we'll see what new misunderstood rules we get. LOL!
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you trainer, i will start editing...some of it.

one thing that i have to point out is the monolith's living metal rule does in fact state that anything attacking the monolith will attack it with un-augmented strength. so the vindacare would stlil not affect it
    Necrons and Tau
    Necrons - W5 D0 L0
    Tau - W18 D2 L4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Yeah, I didn't change that one. Although unfamiliar with the vindicare round anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea, i am not so familiar with it either, but i believe it is 2d6+str +D6 armor pen. something like that. Naturally it should be str+1d6 armor pen.

i updated with what you put word in. thank you for that... (its hard to type something so long and not include everything.)
    i did not change some certain things because i want to leave itup for discussion. like the wraiths and CCweps for example. it is not guarenteed that they do not get that extra attack because GW has not stated they do not. but at the same time, i also think that it should be one of those things that is rolled for in an actual game.

just a thought
    Necrons and Tau
    Necrons - W5 D0 L0
    Tau - W18 D2 L4

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Great work, Kizzypop. We've needed an update on the Cron FAQ for quite some time now. I'm going to sticky this thread in place of the old FAQ.

*stuck*
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KizzyPop View Post
    yea, i am not so familiar with it either, but i believe it is 2d6+str +D6 armor pen. something like that. Naturally it should be str+1d6 armor pen.

just a thought
    I think the turbo penetrator round (that vindicares can use) is a flat out 3D6 penetration roll, no base strength or anything. Now, I can't remember specifically where I read this but I believe it said something along the lines of that the turbo penetrator round is an exception to the living metal rule. (might be in a FAQ or the ruling of GW staff at my local store)
    Last edited by the_pariah7; May 28th, 2010 at 14:02.
    Necrons W68-D13-L10 (3rd edition codex)
    Necrons W3-D1-L1 (latest codex)
    Skaven still being assembled

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by the_pariah7 View Post
    Now, I can't remember specifically where I read this but I believe it said something along the lines of that the turbo penetrator round is an exception to the living metal rule.
    Chapter Approved Necron FAQ V4.0.1 states that the Vindicare is an exception as the shell does not grant 'bonus' penetration.
    3d6+3 with no rending bonuses.
    Last edited by A.T.; May 28th, 2010 at 14:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was also back on 4th ed rules. and the living metal says, "Unaugmented strength" and the vindicare uses augmented strength.

do uh ave a copy of the FAQ V4.0.1? i wanna post that and the new FAQ in this forum
    Necrons and Tau
    Necrons - W5 D0 L0
    Tau - W18 D2 L4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by KizzyPop View Post
    that was also back on 4th ed rules. and the living metal says, "Unaugmented strength" and the vindicare uses augmented strength.

do uh ave a copy of the FAQ V4.0.1? i wanna post that and the new FAQ in this forum
    The Vindicare round doesn't have strenght, it's strength is 3d6 that's why it works (not additional D6 on top of base strength). Other stuff like melta bombs S8+2d6 are negated because it has a BASE strength, hence additional D6 being negated. Without looking for the FAQ (being lazy atm) pretty sure he's right it works and was stated in some FAQ or somewhere.
    Last edited by Dark Trainer; June 1st, 2010 at 19:45.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast