Dark Eldar vs The World - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Dark Eldar vs The World

Hey

The DE are coming, or rather are into the stage in their life where it is time for change. They need to set aside their flamboyant shenanigans, and actually become a respected member of the Warhammer 40K universe, and more importantly, feared.

I have been looking around, not just on these forums, but all around cyberspace, and I have to say that people know damn all about the DE, and what they are capable of, but more importantly, they don't even know them from a hobby perspective. I mean, it is on the rarest of occassions, when the moon is burgundy do the Dark Eldar get represented on a tournament stage, and for years now we have been waiting for a codex that should've arrived many aeons ago, that people have just evaded them at all costs, because a) they are afraid of something they have never seen before, b) when they are shown, the person controlling them never goes on to glory and fame with them, and c) the respect, lustre and downright patience with them has worn right down to the core.

Now, sure we are going to get an entirely new fashion, an entirely new codex, and an entirely new rule set... some time in the future. Those that have started the Dark Eldar will be all aquiver with such brand spanking new models, and the shiniest codex out there (maybe not the thickest...), for we have waited tirelessly with so much effort, and so much patience, and have waded through hell and back, seeing SO many revamps, re-releases, re-re-re-re-releases and new armies come into the fray, while we have sat idly in the cold recesses of the Games Workshop vaults, praying for our time in the sunlight, that has unfortunately ceased to exist for us; we are merely shadows of our former shelves, with models that look like prostitutes, rules designed for so many Editions ago, and egos that are blatantly undershadowed by even the smallest Space Marine player.

So I call to the masses to answer me a simple question. A question that will determine the Dark Eldar's fate, and contemplate as to who will win the battle bewteen the Dark Eldar and The World.

Is this new release going to work?

Who here will be the first in line queing for hours in the pouring rain, just to catch that elusive glimpes of the painted models in the GW shops window, while others elbow past you to get their late hands on the Inquisition or Daemons codex that came out before ours, barely even stopping to have a close inspection of just how the DE are going to interefere with the rest of the hobby? Who here will be going over every square inch of detail, looking at the rules behind the rules and fluff, sharing what they have found with a local store owner, finding out what their blatant and empty opinion of them will be?

Will the release actually tempt other people to want to buy the Dark Eldar? If not, what will happen? Only the people who have put their heart and soul into their army of piratical raiders would want to know what they will have to change and what they will be able to keep. After only a few long months of low revenue from those that actually know the DE from previous buying the models and codex, will they officially do what many want and banish them into the Eye of Terror, and back into the GW vault, never needing to be pushed back further and further from a release date and never needing to make fresh moulds from expensive plastics and metals ever again?

Will the DE survive?

Good Hunting.

Last edited by The Hawk; May 30th, 2010 at 17:32.
    Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good post. I personally hope they do a little bit of fluff redecorating. Sure i love the totally depraved stuff but i think they should give DE a redeeming factor to attract people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think curiosity will make many people turn out to see the new dark eldar. People know we are old models old rules, so a new release would be like a ray of sun into the mist that is dark eldar. I started building DE when there were just people wanting rumors for a new army book. Now as I get close to finishing my army more rumors seem to say we have a chance. Since everyone at the store knows who the dark eldar are I think they will want to see what we become. So yes we will survive, you cannot kill what you cannot find .
    NEW DARK ELDAR! Hold all armies I have a new purpose in life!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

I'm not sure how the new release with DE will go. I'm torn between two theories:

1) We will be changed, beyond recognition. This will draw a number of new players into the Dark Eldar, but we will no longer be Dark Eldar in all aspects but name. We will be Webway Eldar.

2) We will be revitalised, the loyal fans will be happy and we will get some new people playing, but not as many and a number will be the ultra compedative new army tourney spammers, who will leave when a new army is released.

I want to see how they keep our wargear and weapons in particular, especially:

-Splinter Weapons: will these be poisoned? I think S3 re-rolling 1's to wound is good.
    -Talos: this could be a great unit, weapon options, maybe a powerup as it kills...
    -Combat Drugs: How will they work? What effects will there be?

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We actually know know a little bit on how DE will look like and they will still remain very future dark elvish. dark eldar do have their own signature and still are very different from their fantasy cousins.
    Their fluff as it is ,is very attractive, this has never been an issue, the only bad thing our fluff has is it's so incomplete.

The models were old, first edition always looks a bit weird. It still looks a lot better than many other first editions of other races.

More fluff, better rules, state or the art models will bring a lot of fans. There's no doubt in my mind that our dark kin will attract a lot of new players.
    Some people are already saying: if the new models look good I'll start a dark eldar army.
    I still do see people starting new dark eldar armies, even now that we know there will be a new codex, they know new models will come, but they still want some old ones.

Will the Dark Eldar survive? Question already answered: new codex is coming. Why it came so late is to blame on other reasons, who have nothing to do with the range or the rules. GW are still professionals and as such they'll give the fans a new mindblowing modelrange, rules and fluff to the existing and to new potential players. If GW was terminating the range they would have done it a long time ago. Nothing official was ever said, DE do still sell.
    Putting a lot of money into an expensive project is pointless if you know it will fail. GW is pretty confident about their work, I trust them when I look at their latest models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

190 (x3)

Hey

I personally don't think it is a question of flair, integrity, fluff, rules, or anything on the basis of that. I think that it will come down to how well they are marketed, how much time and effort is put into (no judgement here), and just how much people know from previous. Sure, something new and shiny always sounds exciting, but if you have not been introduced to it before, or have not been made fully aware of them from other sources, you are going to stay away from it. Right now, with GW only giving us a pinch of salt and a kick up the behind for 10 years now, many have gotten tired, bored and have lost patience, because they do not anything from previous.

The Dark Eldar army is all about taking risks, and it seems liks this has not just been confined to the tabletop...

To me, the reason why I bought this up is because I want others people's opinions from those who do not play DE. Right now, all of us do; we need to get the view of the entire hobby, and not just us, who have managed to hold for so many years while we have seen so much thrown into our face (I really do not know how we have done it). By getting the perspective of those who have barely glanced at the Dark Eldar, and then if they were to say, "Wow, I think I have my next army to plan", then I will be partially convinced. We will never know until release day what the fate of them are.

Good Hunting.
    I think the reason why they have been held back for so long is because, not only are they trying to get it right, but they are also wanting the right time. Mind you, that time had passed many years ago, but in reality it is actually a very good thing. They are probably a ton of market research and development, and all of the financial jargon that will make a really good sale. Plus, they are suppossed to be giving is a very big welcome - back celebration, potentiall at Games Day '10...
    Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still pretty pessimistic about any outlook for the future of Dark Eldar. In western PA, in all the years I've played WH40k, I've only in the past year or so found physical evidence that at least ONE other DE player MAY exist; in the form of a badly painted reaver jetbike someone found laying around my local gaming store. For all I know, it could have been from a confused Eldar player who realized his mistake and ditched it.

I would sincerely hope that DE are revamped beyond recognition, as the only way to draw in players to such a seemingly obscure army is to re-introduce it as if it were brand new. If all the ridiculousness of the Tyranids and Blood Angels codexes are any indication, the power-creep the new DE codex would introduce would be immense; I wouldn't be surprised if it included a character or two that would make an entire squad of Mephistons wet themselves in terror and cause no end to moaning and groaning about how 'broken' the new DE rules are, not to mention it would drag in all the players who will flippantly switch over to what they perceive as the most powerful army of the day. It's pretty much been the norm for each new release. If we don't get that kind of reaction with our next codex, DE will surely go the way of the squats while all the money is getting poured into the new Grey Knights (*COUGH*twospacemarinereleasesinarow*cough*).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyuben Vachkov View Post
    i think they should give DE a redeeming factor to attract people.
    I hope Not - That's my favourite thing About them. They're Just Pure Evil

But Games workshop seem to be trying to soften up the armies, with the Ultrasmurfs hugging Kittens... So Dark Eldar will become Emo-Eldar, with Poetry Powers and Special "Self Harm" bonuses...
    The players get cut enough...
    Dark Eldar - Everyone stole Our 2+ Poisons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

190 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by PanthersClaw View Post
    So Dark Eldar will become Emo-Eldar, with Poetry Powers and Special "Self Harm" bonuses...
    Hey

Poetry Powers?! YES! That reminds me, make sure you check out my Dark Eldar poem... I want to see what true Dark Eldar players think about it. Thanks for the reply to it alright, Lyuben.

I personally think that codex creep is either to be good or bad for us. The norm with the more popular armies was indeed to make them uber-powered and down right frightening to face, and maybe because they are being redone people might glance at it and be stunned that we could make a Carnifex put its tail between its legs and run away wimpering, or be able to rip the wings off the Sanguinor and use them like the God of War used Icarus', or maybe, just maybe, be able to bring a Monolith down in on itself.

Codex creep, on the other hand, can be a harmful thing, as too much of a good thing can also lead to its downfall, as when focusing on one major area, it is usually everything else that is overlooked and shunned. Sure, make them look like emo-eldar and give them a fresh, foreboding look, but if we are getting is kick ass models, and maybe some kickass new ranged weapons, I do not want to see an unbalance in the close combat. It has happened before, (Daemons), and this is yet another reason why I am fearful of our release. Disregarding the fact that the Blood Angels are Space Marines, the reason why they are selling and have sold so good is because they are technically flawless. They have the firepower, they have the close combat prowess, they have awesome models and fluff, and they have the speed, which defines what they are about.

With us, we need to be faster, be able to take so many heavy weapons, have lots of moral loweriing abilties in close combat, and some seriously stuffed up fluff for us to truly live up to our reputation, and not be outclassed in the shadow of preceding and forthcoming releases.

Codex creep has destroyed armies, and yet people still play them. Lets hope we don't catch the plague.

Good Hunting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

In my opinion, if you want to play some noble space elves to whom the world has been harsh (but they endure!), you should play CW eldar. DE exist as mean bastards who enjoy doing what they do, not cry over it. I think, people, who like DE, like them because of this, not despite this. Why should someone ask to add a redeeming factor to DE? They have their niche and, personally, I'd prefer them to stay true to what they've been.
    Also, I don't think that attracting people is that good. It seems to me that after the 2009 codex release much of the IG forum turned into "I have 9 vendetta-loads of veterans, why do I keep losing with my uber list?"-style threads. Does anyone want it here?
    Really, darling, you must not squirm so. It spoils the overall effect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast