Monolith Portal use for Destroyers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monolith Portal use for Destroyers

Hey All,

I am still kinda new to Wh40k and the Necrons are my first army. Yesterday in a game I tried to portal a squad of 5 Destroyers through my Monolith.

It was argued that I could not get all 5 center posts within the 2" disembark range of the portal and as such could not use the portal in conjunction with the destroyers. Was this rule misread or misused? Basically is there any way to actually use the portal in conjunction with 5 destroyers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Yes there is. If you look carefully at the picture on P.67 BRB which is entitled "disembarking", you will notice that the base belonging to the Marine with the Missile Launcher is literally *just* inside the two inch circle. When applying that to a set of five Destroyers, it is *just* possible to get all five of them within the 2" range.

I have just verified this with my own Monolith and a set of 5 flying bases. I measured the 2" circle from the edge of the Monolith's Portal (not from the steps - from the edge of the vehicle itself) directly left and right towards the corners of the Monolith. Guess what: it's 2" inches to the corners. So that allows two bases to be placed to the extreme edges of the Monolith, with a part of the flying base inside the 2" circle.

Next I measured from the centre of the Portal (again from the Monolith's hull, not the steps) straight out at 90 degrees. Again, I placed the flying base with an edge just inside this circle. This now left 2 gaps for the remaining two flying bases, both of which fitted perfectly.

Now before anyone argues that this is an incorrect interpretation of the disembarkation rule, it isn't, and for two reasons: 1) Nowhere does the rule state that the base must be FULLY inside the 2" circle. It only says "within" 2 inches. To give an example: no one can argue that the target of a bolter is said to be "within range" if when measuring from the firer's base edge the bolter's range can literally just touch the edge of its target's base and no more. 2) the picture on P.67 proves it.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Yes, remember it only has to JUST touch the 2" diameter. Meaning the first row has recesses because of the rounded bases allowing the front 2 to fit just fine. Now if you had 6 we'd probably have an issue (lucky for us we don't have to figure that one).
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are awesome, thanks a bunch. They were arguing that it was center post and not the edge of the base. Probably because I was crushing them, but still... Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Just explain to them that unless firing from a gun on a tank, you always measure from the base of the model. Oh, and that losing to the Necrons doesn't mean they should feel down about themselves, that's just what happens when you play against Necrons .
    World Eaters: W-47 D-10 L-9
    Necrons: W-19 D-3 L-2
    Protectorate of Menoth: W-36 D-0 L-7

+ Reply to Thread