Goodbye Tau, Hello Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodbye Tau, Hello Eldar

Hey everyone, future Eldar player here. I've been playing Tau exclusively for the past two years.. and it's getting a bit old. Most of our units are worthless, 5th ed really screwed us over, and codex creep is taking its toll. So I decided to jump over to Eldar.

My biggest attraction to Eldar are the Wraithlords; sleek and agile design, yet deadly and versatile (hey, kinda like a Hammerhead). I'm hoping to run 2-3 Sword Lords, maybe a squad of War Walkers, and fill out the rest of my list from there.

I already have a Wraithlord assembled, and I'll be buying the codex soon, but what else would any of you recommend? I was thinking of taking Swooping Hawks and Banshees (maybe even an Avatar) for some CC goodness, as I'm bored to death of shooting.
    I'm kinda overwhelmed by the variety Eldar has to offer (something Tau sorely lacks!), so any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: Here's what I'm interested in running
    Autarch with SHawk wings and/or possibly an Avatar
    Howling Banshees and Wraithguard
    Guardians (possibly with Jetbikes), and Rangers for long-range support
    Swooping Hawks
    3 War Walkers (all with 2xEMLs)
    2 Wraithlords with Sword and EML

Is this at all a viable list? Anything that's a must have, or something I should never take?

Last edited by Illegal Carrot; June 2nd, 2010 at 02:08.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't look like too bad of a list imo, you might want to swap out the Hawks for Spiders though. Hawks can do some really cool things, if they live long enough, but they usually don't. Dragons in a Serpent are nice, too. Good luck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    191 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal Carrot View Post
    Hey everyone, future Eldar player here. I've been playing Tau exclusively for the past two years.. and it's getting a bit old. Most of our units are worthless, 5th ed really screwed us over, and codex creep is taking its toll. So I decided to jump over to Eldar.

My biggest attraction to Eldar are the Wraithlords; sleek and agile design, yet deadly and versatile (hey, kinda like a Hammerhead). I'm hoping to run 2-3 Sword Lords, maybe a squad of War Walkers, and fill out the rest of my list from there.

I already have a Wraithlord assembled, and I'll be buying the codex soon, but what else would any of you recommend? I was thinking of taking Swooping Hawks and Banshees (maybe even an Avatar) for some CC goodness, as I'm bored to death of shooting.
    I'm kinda overwhelmed by the variety Eldar has to offer (something Tau sorely lacks!), so any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: Here's what I'm interested in running
    Autarch with SHawk wings and/or possibly an Avatar
    Howling Banshees and Wraithguard
    Guardians (possibly with Jetbikes), and Rangers for long-range support
    Swooping Hawks
    3 War Walkers (all with 2xEMLs)
    2 Wraithlords with Sword and EML

Is this at all a viable list? Anything that's a must have, or something I should never take?
    Your proposed list is commonly known as a footdar list in the eldar community, itll present a challenge (for you to win). 5th ed. is all about mobility and mech if you havnt heard, and your list is limited. Its true that eldar can move their mech unit around the board faster than Tau as they as Fast tanks. Tau I love with their best 5 point protection ( the disruption pod ) which the eldar lack. Your wraithlords will fall quickly to lascannons and assault cannons, even snipers will cut them up with their rending if they are improperly supported.

Eldar is all about supporting units. Units must work together to achieve the needed goal. The wraithguard and banshees are awesome units if they are supported and delivered to the fight properly. Running them across the field, you'll only find them cut up by the time they reach an opponent to have them do significantly less damage.

With todays psychic environment youll find that a Farseer is your best defense. A simple 15 point upgrade will leave psychers in frustration or poping their brains and killing themselves.

The list isn't total fail, and you should play what you like too, but in a competitive environment you need to at least add a delivery system (wave serpent or falcon ) for the girls and wraithguard. Go with jetbike guardians or storm over standard and finaly add a farseer in their to support all of your units.

Good luck...
    NECRON Army List Builder a Free excel capable list generator for 5th and 6th ed. 11/2011
    Necrons - 6000 points, Tau - 6000, Daemons - 5250, Eldar - 4500, Blood Angels - 5000
    Some pics form my hobby. http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...arodragon/40k/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the Vypers in the last edition are pretty worthless!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The info that dragon gave is accurate and I second it. I would also like to add on how this list could be really interesting and powerful if you changed a few of the componets within your current list setup.

Change the wraithlords weapons from the sword and EML to the EML and the brightlance and have him tank hunt. He has a good BS, which is better than the base of most of our tanks, and with this setup he can drop tanks. The wraithlord, even with the sword, isn't that great in combat because he has the same problem that all large creatures have, they can be held up in close combat by swarms, and for us this is VERY bad because you are loosing a vital unit to your idea to a bunch of gaunts! The wraithlord without the sword will still be able to preform in close combat, it just won't be its main focus.

I would also suggest changing the walkers to either scatter lasers or cannons. Reason is because of their low BS. When using these guys taking expensive one shot weapons isn't the best plan, just because they won't actually be able to hit anything that they are shooting at. If you give them high volume of attack they will preform better and be able be used. With scatter laser of cannon setup they are cheaper points wise, and also will handle your anti horde needs.

I would grab a transport for the banshees, just because they need it to get where you want them to go. Also, drop the guard. They are rather expensive, and everything they can do Dragons can do better and cheaper. Both money and points wise. The only thing guard have over dragons is the chance to live, but if you're playing your eldar like you should, the main attack will drop the enemy and the dragons will be fine xD. Give the dragons a transport as well, they also need it.

Troops are ok. Since you want to run Wraithlords you are going to need guardian defenders. I would run two small squads with conceal and a heavy weapons and put them near the lords. Fill ALL the other troop slots with anything else. My vote goes towards one squad of rangers, one squad of 6 jetbikes, and then a storm guardian squad with flamers and a transport, and finally a transported Dire Avenger squad. Clearly, depending on your point value, not all of these shall be able to be included.

If you really want to run the hawks, go for it. My advise is not to run any of the eldar fast attack, most of them just don't cut it. We have amazing tanks, and yes, these guys can keep up, but I find that since they will be some of the only soft targets to shoot at, they die at a rapid pace. The best of the fast attack however is the warp spiders, due to the higher save and better guns.

Adding a farseer or two for doom, guide, and fortune on your units will be a great benefit. Since you want a Autarch for one of your HQ's, I would outfit him to roll with one of your troops. If you gave him a power weapons, Scorpion helmet, and a two handed weapon of your choise, prolly the catapult, he would make a great addition to the lines of a tarpit Dire avenger squad. A tarpit dire avenger squad is a squad with defend, bladestorm, and a power weapon and shimmershield on the exarch. Another option for him is to stick him with the stormguardians with power weapon setup as well, give them some fight back and a bite more bite when they charge. Putting him on a jetbike with the jetbike squad would be an expensive option, but could prove to be an interesting combo in a lower point game.

I think that with the firing lines of the two wraithlords, the speed of the troops and elites either in tranports or on bikes, plus the outflanking walkers you will be doing just fine. You should be running about two transports, even if you take none of my advise, just so that the bashees and guard can get to their locations faster and not die along the way.

Good luck to you in killing the Mon-Keigh!
    Eldar Craftworld Igsolus-Toc (reset for 5th)
    0 / 0 / 0 3500+

Tyranids Hive Fleet Oceanus (reset for 5th)
    0 / 0 / 0 WIP around 1600 points

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already know how essential transports are, I just didn't include any in my list because I thought it was a given.

Anyways, a few points:
    Change the wraithlords weapons from the sword and EML to the EML and the brightlance and have him tank hunt.
    Thing is, I really want CC oriented Wraithlords, and I am absolutely bored to tears of shooting, having played Tau for so long. My idea was that the Lords would use their multi-purpose EML to earn back as many points as possible while they move up the board, then get into CC with the juiciest target they could reach. Guardian would be nearby to block tarpit squads.

I would also suggest changing the walkers to either scatter lasers or cannons.
    I prefer the EML (at least on paper) due to its ability to fill multiple roles. My main opponents are swarm-based armies, though, and the ability to drop six blast markers a turn is not something I wasnt to pass up. That, or I'd outflank them, and get six rear armor hits a turn when they come on.

Also, drop the guard. They are rather expensive, and everything they can do Dragons can do better and cheaper. Both money and points wise.
    As with the Lord, I absolutely love the Guard models. But I'm not a rich man, so I'll probably end up doing this.

Adding a farseer or two for doom, guide, and fortune
    I'll probably drop the Autarch and take two Farseers.

Thanks for all the great advice, everybody. It's all been very helpful, so here some rep for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've really been considering running two autarchs lately instead of the farseer. either both with a reaper launcher, sit them in cover in different spots on the table, force your enemy to decide whether to shoot at either of them or the 5 squad of dark reapers in cover on another part of the board. or run a cheap support one with just a scorpion chainsword and avenger catapult. dirt cheap and great in a squad of dire avengers for more weight of fire plus decent CC backup(ws 6/bs 6 is gravy)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Well, your list will work fine, as long as every unit that can, does, take a wave serpent. Unlike devilfish, Chimeras, rhinos, etc.., the Wave Serpent can be (and usually is, for me) a main battle tank that can duel with the best of them. Give 'em EMLs or Bright Lances and go tank hunting. The rest of your list would work fine, your wave serpents would be more than able to pick up the slack.

Stuff like Railguns, or Vanquisher cannons, etc, anything that's over S8, or rolls 2d6 for armour penetration, simply can't reliably deal with Wave Serpents.

What kills them are Autocannons, but they'll be to pre-occupied trying to kill your wraithlords.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, taking what you've all said into account, here's another (revised) mini-list I've made. How does it look?
    Farseer - Will Guide War Walkers
    Autarch - Will join Dire Avengers for CC goodness
    Dire Avengers (w/ Exarch) + Wave Serpent
    Fire Drangs (w/ Ex) + Wave Serpent
    Howling banshees (w/ Ex) + Wave Serpent
    Storm Guardians w/ Warlock Spirit Seer - Will stick near Wraithlords
    2x Rangers - Pathfinders
    2x Wraithlords - Wraithsword + EML (or should I have them Run?)
    3x War Walkers w/ six EMLs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

That works. As long as you give the Storm Guardians flamers, they'll never do 'ya wrong. Some like fusion guns, but I'm squarely in the flamer camp.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast