Eldar's spearhead units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldar's spearhead units

I've recently purchased white dwarf number 366 and the rules for spearhead are inside. I've read through them and then went on to GW and found the download for the twelve spearhead options available. Now i have read all these i have seen that Eldar could have very good (But expensive) spearheads. So i was wondering what people were thinking and wether they could post them up here with there points values (Combined value within the spearhead obviously). I will start us off with a very expensive but MEGA POWERFUL unit.

Monstorous creature spearhead
    3 Wraithlord- Two flamers, Wraith sword
    3 Wraithlord- Shuriken cannons, Wraith sword

With the addition of the cost of the actual spearhead entry it is quite expensive being 660PTS. But think of it combined with other spearheads. 6 Wraith lords marching down the battlefield. That would be enough to wreck anyone's day.

Another one which is slightly cheaper but just as Devastating is the obvious one

Tank hunter spearhead
    3 Fire prisms

With the addition of the spearhead this equals 405pts which is alot cheaper. And with the ability to combined there fire and add +1 strength and to lower the AP by 1 it is very good. With these three you could possibly launch a: STR:11 AP:1 focused shot or a STR:7 AP:2 large blast shot now that is preety good. Plus the whole unit gain the tankhunters ability so add +1 to penetration rolls.

The link to the spearhead download is---> Spearhead: Formations | Games Workshop

P.S you have got to be signed in. If not make an account so you can download stuff and its free.

SO LETS SEE WHO HAS THE BEST SPEARHEADS FOR ELDAR!!!!!

i am meant to put soething clever and cool in this box, But do you know what i really cant think of anything at all. LOL <-----sums me up very well

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

First comments:

Monstruos Spearhead: Fleeting wraithlords are ok. Still will die like flies with only 3 wounds and no invulnerable.
    Tank Hunter prism one: There is no s11 in this game! Also tank hunter gives you +1 on damage chart rolls not on strenght.

We can use : Seek And destroy. 3 serpents filled each with fire dragons 50 points for a round of shooting hmmm; Skyfall Spearhead with deepstriking falcons filled with dragons (actually is not really good but funny when you`ll get this right), Tank hunters for dakka falcons and prisms - . Mechanized assault for serpents filled with units of your choice (i would not take it because is splitting your army and eldars do not have suicidal units regardless on what some people think - we just suicide them to grant us victory depending you battlefield situation. it also gives a lot of randomness for the deployment especially if you use refused flank regulary), Archeotech spearhead for s9 falcon, s10 prisms and even s7 serpents (take this if you know you can reliable roll 3+ i know i cannot)

By far i see the Tank hunters the most useful but not for the prisms but for S6 cannons that ussualy glance. 21-27 S>6 shots with tank hunters is enough force multiplier to count for the points of the spearhead
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

max for any stat is 10, you can't get a str 11 weapon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

First, you can only have 1 of any particular spearhead-- no doubling up on the MC spearhead. And I'm really not a big fan of it-- Fleet and Counter-attack are decent, but Furious Charge does little for a S10 MC, and Rage is a major major drawback. Especially on a board played off the short table edges, you've gotta slog an awful long way, and opponents with fast units can easily lead you around by the nose.

I do like the idea of Tank Hunters Prism formation though, the potential vehicle popping does sound pretty tasty. It makes non-linked prisms pretty dangerous as AT, and makes linked prisms downright scary.

I'm also very interested in a Mechanized Assault spearhead-- Wave Serpents chock full of Bladestorming Dire Avengers. Not getting to use a Farseers powers the turn they arrive is kind of a bummer, but still a very potent combo, and gives your opponents something immediate to worry about on their flank.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeons View Post
    max for any stat is 10, you can't get a str 11 weapon
    As niraco pointed out, he was referring to a S10 shot from the prisms, with the +1 penetration bonus from Tank Hunters.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by niraco View Post
    Also tank hunter gives you +1 on damage chart rolls not on strenght.

Incorrect. Tank Hunters Universal rule (p76) "...add +1 to their armour penetration rolls..." This is not the same as adding it to the Strength of the weapon as Wave Serpent fields do not effect this. And hence a S10 weapon rolls 1d6 +1 to the armor pen roll. While S10 is the max in 40k, the +1 from Tank Hunters is still added.

Monterous Spearhead can have 6 Monstrous creatures

I like the Spearhead formations a lot!
    ---edit-oops Doom Serpent is an Apocalypse Formation, not Spearhead---
    How about that Saim-Hann Doom Serpent Squardon! Killing Strike = Auto Penetration, +2 on the vehicle damage chart +3 if you're Saim-Hann (+1 for D class weapon, +1 for AP1), and a 72" range. Talk about reaching out to touch someone!

Skyfall Spearhead: Deep Striking Skimmers! Here come my Wave Serpents and/or Fire Prisms.

Seek & Destroy Spearhead: Imagine, 3 Fire Prisms moving up to 24" and still able to shoot! Hello side armor!

Armoured Spearhead: Not my first choice, but if you fortune them to re-roll the 5+ invul...probably not worth it.

All in all we can take more than most races, Crusher Spearhead being the only one we can't use.

One mistake I found. Outrider Spearhead has a picture of 1 Falcon and 2 Vypers. However you could not take Vypers in that formation as Vypers are not tanks or Walkers.
    Last edited by JMichael; June 3rd, 2010 at 23:10.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

The ones that have proven most useful is giving tank hunters to a unit of walkers with scatters.

The 5++ one given to whoever, i usually choose my prisms.

and of course the super heavy one, nothing like bringing a D weapon to a regular game of 40k.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on th tank formation for eldar in white dwarf it says STR: D and was wondering how you use it?
    i am meant to put soething clever and cool in this box, But do you know what i really cant think of anything at all. LOL <-----sums me up very well

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

Strength: D is "Destroyer" which is used in appocolypse. Basically if you hit, it's an auto wound or and auto pen > or against gargantuan creatures or titans it's a d3 structure points.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

If you hit it...its Automatic wound/Automatic Penetration hit, Instant Kill anything but gargantuan creatures. Super heavys and gargantuan lose d3 points or wounds. Its basically super cheesy
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right thankyou oh monstorous creature spearhead i wrote was 6 wraithlords but had diff wargear

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast