Tired Of Getting Thrashed :-( - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

Tired Of Getting Thrashed :-(

I have played Necrons for a while now and generally play experienced players who tend to have Tyranids, Space Marines, Demons or tank heavy imperial guard.

In the past nine games (all at tournament level) I have lost all 9, failed to capture a single objective in at least 6 of them, phasing out in 5 of them.

What I want advice/opinion on is whether it is my tactics, my army list or above average opponents who know exactly how to beat Necrons. My avaialble forces are;

- Nightbringer, Deceiver, Destroyer Lord, foot Lord
    - 10 Immortals
    - 34 Warriors
    - 6 Wraiths
    - 3 Destroyers
    - 8 Scarab Swarms
    - 3 Heavy Destroyers

To my mind I cannot remove vehicles (only 3 heavy destroyers), whilst the warriors tend to do some damage then invariably get swept by deep strikers etc. I have tried the Immortals with veil, with a little success, but not enougth to make any real difference. The Wraiths are not great and tend to get shot up/bogged down in combat.

I am lothed to field massed Destroyers as I feel that is 'unspotsmanlike' prefering to field balanced lists.

I just cannot see how to beat drop pod assault, Demon assault, tank/mech heavy armies with the units I have.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks;

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

Necrons just aren't a competitive army, their codex is old and a lot of their once great rules have been nullified.

What ever you feel is unfair against the enemy... use it, even then don't expect to win at a competitive level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x1)

I hear what you say about massed Destroyers, and I know it can do quite well, but having 15 in my mind is just wrong and min-maxing (i.e just 2 10 man Warrior squads sat on objectives in cover) to the extreme.

Perhaps the problem is I am just too 'nice', fielding balanced lists in the 'spirit of the game' which against my regular opponents is just handing them the game on a plate. Take for example one recent game vs. Demons, he fielded 2 greater demons, 1 soul grinder, fate weaver, loads of fiends and some plague bearers. With my list I had a turn of shooting, not very succesful due to re-rolled failed 4+ inv saves, then got eaten up and swept by fiends and flying greater demons - all over by turn 3.

So, if morally I cannot min-max my army am I basically stuffed against todays modern armies in the hands of experienced players?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by dinodeanpostcat View Post
    So, if morally I cannot min-max my army am I basically stuffed against todays modern armies in the hands of experienced players?
    Yup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x1)

Thanks for your honest answers/thoughts. Hmm, thought as much.

Well I cannot go with min-maxed so will have to live with being thrashed in every game (at the last tournament two of my opponents even apologised to me for annihilating my Necrons). Until the time they bring out new rules, but that's many more drubbings I will have to take!

If anyone can suggest any way of making my units into a viable list please let me know.

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Massing Destroyers and taking Monoliths is the only viable list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dinodeanpostcat,

I undestand totally. PLEASE for those of us that love the game for the game..keep playing balanced "fluffy" lists!!!

However..I do feel your list needs tweaking. You need some monoliths man!! and some more destroyers.

Drop one of the ctan to do this! 2 ctan is not within the fluff at all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind that its not ONLY how you built your own army but how you use it and how the army approaches you. Armies such as Tyranids and Blood Angels will take advantage of your weakness as a Necron Army: Low initiative and lack of power weapons for assaults. Monolths and some destroyers will help even the field out against certain units (such as tanks or units that can fire long range for example, take them out before they take you out!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do what you got to do to beat your opponents, they are do whatever it takes to beat you. The codex is very unfair to us Necron players but I feel that is half the challenge, Yes I really want a new codex but this is all we got at the moment so do what you got to do to win some games!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by dinodeanpostcat View Post

If you morally cannot min-max your army you are stuffed no matter how modern army you take. It doesn't change even if you'd field a 'fluffy' Blood Angel army (with just a few months old codex) agains't min-maxed Dark Eldar (3rd edition codex) army. Thats just how it is.

However, I don't know how fluffy you want to go, but assuming its warrior phalanx why not try something like this:

Deceiver
    Lord + Orb
    10 Immortals
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    4 Destroyers
    Monolith

It looks like a phalanx, it moves like a phalanx and it packs hellish firepower along with at least T5 on 16 models... You can outlast quite a lot.
    Last edited by Polaria; June 7th, 2010 at 06:33.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast