What do Nids do against Fast, mech armies? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

What do Nids do against Fast, mech armies?

I just got done playing against my roomate's blood angels in an annihilation game. Ive posted his list before but the gist of it is its mech blood angels with razorbacks and landspeeder typhoons.

Basically the game proceeded as follows.

I move and run towards him, he moves 12 inches away and picks off my nids with razorbacks and typhoons. I move closer, he moves away and shoots more nids. Rinse and repeat.

Part of the problem might have been that we were playing 1k points on a full 6x4 table, so it gave him plenty of room to keep circling around me. I'm not sure what to do though. What am I supposed to do against armies that can just drive away faster than I can advance?

"I am the architect of fate!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

There are a few things you can do. Consider the following units:
    1) Hive Guard. Even with only a 24" range, the fact that these guys ignore cover and have 2 str 8 bs4 shots per turn means they are great for taking out transports.
    2) Zoanthropes in a pod. If he has anything heavy that he's hitting you with (predators, land raiders) try a unit or maybe two of these with either two or three in a pod. Their warp lances are amazing at taking out heavy armor.
    3) Tyrannofex with rupture cannon. Pricey, but can be worth it if you are facing a lot of armor. 48" range on a str 10 gun you can shoot twice when you move makes for great ranged anti-armor support.
    4) Carnifexes with heavy venom cannons. Not great at killing vehicles, the idea of these is to inflict a bunch of light damage and make it so that you reduce it's killing power and make it so you can catch up and munch it.

I hope this helps, and good luck adding their biomass to the Fleet!

Pirate Chaos Space Marine Mechatius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

5) Divide your force in two parts so he can't circle around you. Admittedly this could let him pick them off one half at the time, but you only have to stop one of his transport to make him choose, sacrifice what's in it or stay with the rest and fight. If you're careful, the distance between your two halves shouldn't be to great and the half that isn't engaged can come to the others support. Take care though to include units with transport busting capabilities in both halves.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Hive Guard munch through vehicles with easy. Outflanking with units that have with adrenal glands or rending claws. Zoans in pods. Gargoyles with adrenal glands. Flying Tyrants. Tyrannofex with rupture cannon. Trygon. Mawloc.

There is a lot of stuff in our codex that can kill vehicles. After that you need to be smart about deployment and unit movement.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

The best way is with hive guards and deepstriking trygons. Get them in pairs for redundancy and so that he won't be able to outrun you. T-fexes are too costly in 1K, flyrants will easily get shot down and zoans too slow. You drop them and in subsequent turns, they can't catch up. Gargolyes, however, are viable. They're not going to destroy any tanks any time soon, but they may prevent it from firing for a turn which is all you really need.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Definitely get some Hive Guard in there. Also, 6'x4' is a little too large for 1000pt games, if I'm honest as it drastically favours ranged armies as opposed to CC. 6x4 is just about acceptable for 1500, anything smaller I would play on a 4x4.

However, if 6x4 is all you have available, why not add a ton of more terrain to balance things out?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I would echo the advice regarding hive guard and HVC-equipped MCs. The Tfex is awesome, but too expensive for 1000 pts.

The best advice, really, is to stop playing 1000 pt games. 'Nids really struggle at 1000 pts, and even 1500 pts is barely barely adequate. I don't feel the codex really starts working properly until 1750 pts minimum. It's only then that you can actually cover all your tactical bases with the army list.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

156 (x3)

As said above, hive guard, thropes in pods, flyrants and fexes with range.

tactically speaking, why are you chasing after him? Unless you're playing a KP mission, there's no reason to allow him to kite you around the map. use cover and make HIM come to you. The longest range in the world doesn't help if he can't see you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

This was the list I was using.

Tervigon
    Adrenal Glands
    Toxin Sacs
    Catalyst

2 Hive Guard
    2 Hive Guard

2 Zoanthropes
    Mycetic Spore

19 Termagants

8 Genestealers
    Toxin Sacs

Trygon
    Adrenal Glands

I think I mentioned that it was Annihilation, so it was going off KPs. By the time I got my stuff behind terrain he was up by 2 or 3 KP so there was no need for him to come to me. The problem is that his vehicles are all fast, or fast skimmers. Even with deepstriking or outflanking he zooms 18 inches away from wherever they come in, or 24 in the case of his landspeeders.

He just stayed out of the 24 inch range of my hive guard and shot heavy bolters and krak missiles at me all day.

I think we're gonna have to portion off part of our table to make it 4x4 and/or use much more terrain.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

You can reduce the number of your termagants and add Onslaught to your tervigon. That would make a big difference. Onslaught your hive guards and now they've got 31"-36" range instead. Just remember to screen them with your gaunts for cover.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast