CC Nid army help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CC Nid army help

Hey guys my gf is getting in to playing 40k with me and she decided to play nids, i have no idea what is good with them. She wants to play a close combat army but i have no idea what she should buy to get a realy good army set up, im thinking she isnt going to want to play more than 1000pts at first so any sample lists would be nice or if some one is feeling generous maybe they can make me a good 1k list. She purchased the nid battle box also so if you can work with those its even easier for her and I.
    Thanks in advance guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I'd say add some hive guards. Get 2 squads of 2 each. Then get a Hive Tyrant with 1 tyrant guard. You need an HQ. You can play him as a tyrant or try him out as a tervigon to get a feel for your HQ's. Lastly, get a Trygon. They're awesome in combat.

The problem with the nids are that for some of their very good units (tervigons, mycetic spores, twin-linked devourers on tyrants), the models don't exist. You need to convert or play it count-as (i.e. my tyrant has count-as devourers or my tyrant is a count-as tervigon). Also, a purely cc nid army is not viable. You need a little shooting to balance it out (and hence, the hive guards).

Good luck.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree. purely CC is viable. MC's are top at popping vehicles. I run a nearly pure CC army (all outflanking 1500 pts - 3 trygon, I hive tyrant, maybe a doom, and stealer/tervigon/and or poded warriors) and it works fine. When you take into account cover, needing to hit, needing to pen, and needing to roll decent on a pen ranged anti tank is not as effetive IMHO as trygon. You need to worry about what comes out but heavy MC CC works...... Swarm CC needs Hiveguard or zoan though.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Hmm im afraid im with JY2 on this one, you are going to need at least some anti tank shooting. In 1000 points you wont need masses, but some is going to be a nescessity. I think id go for a happy medium between Jy2 and Mr slayer. Consider 2-3 hive guard in one squad, to give you a good ability to knock out transports ect. If youve got other units that can also deal with vehicles (like the Trygon Prime Bio feild) then thats a bonus.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are walking forward then I would agree you need ranged AT. If you are doing popup though (nothing on the field, everything flanking, DSing or poding) then you accept 1 turn of fire then mince any vehicle in HTH. You need 3 trygon, and ideally a winged tyrant, along with stealers or tervigon flanking (either can deal with rear armour 10 or 11 at a push). Placement makes it hard for everything to run away, and fleet trygon can catch vehicles as their charge threat range is 13-18. Mech vets in vehicles can be a pain (loads of melta before you pop, then loads after you pop) but against most foes you are ok and even mech vets can be beaten. Most armies struggle to inflict large volume of damage on T6 stuff.

I accept this is probably not a 1000pt config though, more a 1500 pt. At 1000 pts you cannot get the tyrant and the trygon. Tyrants really dont IMHO fit into 1000 pt armies, Primes are a better fit. 2 Hive guard and a trygon or 2 at 1000 pts is probably better, along with a tervigon , prime and asorted others

Prime
    2 Trygon
    2 Hive gaurd
    Tervigin
    10 Termiganuts
    is about 850.
    Last edited by Mr Slayer; June 12th, 2010 at 19:33.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

A total reserve is my primary nid force, and i would never run it without ranged anti tank. The main reason being is that your forced to use your Mcs to deal with the transports. This leaves the emergent infantry with total freedom to shoot you, and theres nothing you can do about it. The problem is made far worse if your opponent has a few battletanks.

Your then faced with a very difficult decision. Do you attack the transports, but leave those tanks to pound away at your MCs, do you take the tanks and allow the transports to get away? Either way your gonna have problems and will suffer for it long term.

And what if the transport/tank moves? A 12" move is going to mean big problems for an MC. Even with re-rolls from tallons a Hive tyrant will only get 1 hit, and a trygon 1-2. From there it only takes a bad roll for damage and youve wasted your 200+ point MC to shake a Rhino or remove its storm bolter.
    Last edited by Heirodule; June 14th, 2010 at 01:24.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Listen to Heirodule here, he's on the money.

I do run a CC-focused peekabo reserves list. But there is still some shooting in it.

Honestly, running 1000 pt 'nid lists is very difficult to do. I don't believe you can make a balanced all-comer's Tyranids army at just 1000 pts. You'll make an army that will crush many -- perhaps even most -- armies ... but will also be capable of being smashed in turn by completely different armies that can exploit your weaknesses.

So, that said, if I was running 1000 pt CC list, I'd go for the Big Hammer and hope for the best.

HQ
    [280 pts] Swarmlord
    [120 pts] 2 Tyrant Guard

Elite
    [100 pts] 2 Hive Guard
    [100 pts] 2 Hive Guard

Troop
    [50 pts] 10 Termagants
    [195 pts] Tervigon, cluster spines, adrenal glands, toxin sacs, catalyst
    [155 pts] 4 Warriors, 3x rending claws, 2x devourer, 1x venom cannon

1000 pts

It's a CC list ... but the Hive Guard exist so you don't have to waste time killing transports when you finally cross the table. All of the targets invite being shot, but which one will your opponent choose to focus on? The choice should be difficult.

Very shooty 1000 pt lists -- or lists that can screen you sufficiently -- will probably have your number.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread