Firepikes, Feugan and some haterade. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firepikes, Feugan and some haterade.

Just want to get people opinions on a few things incase I'm missing something..

Firepikes.. one of the most useless things ever invented by the eldar. It's a fusion gun with slightly longer range. taken by an exarch it's utterly pointless as you're going to be dropping the fire dragon unit within 12" (to kill low av) or 6" anyway (to kill high av), so it's really not going to make a difference in either of those scenarios, and the 18" isn't really enough to deploy them in cover for board control purposes (ala a marine squad with a multi-melta). Sure an 18" melta which is still an assault sounds impressive on paper, but in practice i've never seen a useful applicationf or it. if you're using your fire dragons sensibly this gun seems utterly redundant.

Feugan.. Has a fire pike. *cheer* a single shot melta weapon making him little better than your standard Fire Dragon Exarch or an Autarch with a fusion gun. If he had multiple shots (or even just fast shot) then I'd start to see the value, but for less than his cost you can put 5 dragons in a serpent with stones. Add to that his meltabombs.. sigh.. a pheonix lord with 5 attacks on the charge but can replace them all for one melta bomb attack. again with the *cheer*. His only real bonus is the MC style attacks that give him a decent chance of popping AV10-11 rear vehicles, but that's only if they havent moved. Anyone sensible will have moved 7" minimum if feugan is nearby and suddenly he's lucky to hit once. In CC with infantry he'll hold his own, but is outclassed by Jain-zar, Maugan Ra and Karandras, not to mention Yriel.

I really can't see why anyone would ever take either of these.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Feugan does have FnP this makes him the second most survivable PL with only asurmen beating him because of the inv save. If an attack doesn't bypass his armor save it has a 1/12 chance of not being saved. As for combat power a bunch of str 5 attacks at very hight I and WS is nothing to sneeze at. His MC status means that unlike the majority of the PLs he can and often will go toe to toe with walkers and come out the victor (str 5 +2d6 MC +1 from tank hunters means an average of 13 on armor penetration checks, better than any thing short of the avatar and wraithlords). I am not saying he is worth all the points he costs, but then I don't really think any of the PLs are worth the cost in a purely competitive list.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

A post about phoenix lords costing too much! Who would ever think such a thing....

...Feugan does what feugan does. with 2d6 for armour penetration, even with S4, he's quite capable of killing every tank in the game in melee, plus in assault he's a beast (as a phoenix lord should be).

But he's way over his worth in point values. He's a fancy exarch who can fight. If I'm taking a phoenix lord, its Maugan-Ra, or Karandaras.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

Who is Feugan??
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x3)

One thing in defense of the Firepike--sometimes you've just gotta kill some heavy armor, and you're not always in perfect position to be within 6''. It's a little extra insurance that you can have at least one weapon in range (at BS5 even). I still wouldn't take it or an exarch myself, but there is some justification for including them, especially if you have some spare points.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Archon Charybdis View Post
    One thing in defense of the Firepike--sometimes you've just gotta kill some heavy armor, and you're not always in perfect position to be within 6''. It's a little extra insurance that you can have at least one weapon in range (at BS5 even). I still wouldn't take it or an exarch myself, but there is some justification for including them, especially if you have some spare points.
    I was going to say this. There are many times where my transport just cant drop them off within 6", sure woulda been nice to have a pike there.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many times? Then you're getting your distances wrong. It's not that hard to make sure you're close to av 12+ or within 12 of 10-11. If you can't get there then you're gone early and probably should have held back safely a little longer. throwing 5-6 FDs at av12+ at 6"+ is a pretty big gamble and a firepike wouldn't really make me feel any more confident about it. I'd rather take an extra fire dragon and have points left over.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Really I'm getting the distances wrong? how about im playing against an opponent who doesn't suck and it going to back up and its getting down to turn 4?

And what do you mean gone early? My FD are never suicide units, because it is insanely unfluffy and insanely wasteful.

Also alot of times after they smoke their first target. They move the next turn arnt within 6" or another tank, but are within range for a fire pike.
    Last edited by ericismyname; June 18th, 2010 at 16:42.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 (x6)

Gonna have to agree with eric on distances here. Something to be said about playing CD at Boyz with no mishaps (blah blah blah luck too)=P

The point here is feugan is just another PL and costs way to much.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

253 (x7)

Well i had 2 mishaps technically, but i only really care if i lose the whole unit. and yes im pretty good on judging distances and having a bit of luck on scatters.

1 at qualifiers and 1 at semi finals.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points

+ Reply to Thread