A rematch Idea with jy's space wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

A rematch Idea with jy's space wolves

Now I've been brooding slightly since his wolves had a field day with the last Nid challenge that was brought before him. so I thought I'd try to make a list that would give his wolves a greater challenge than before, and this being my first attempt at an army this size with this special kind of style I'd thought I'd all of you for your own 2 cents,

A concern with what I have currently is that JY might not have all the units available to use/proxy D:

without further ado my idea of a challenge

HQ
    [280] Hive tyrant, Wings, 2x scything talons, hive commander, old adversary
    -Leech, paroxysm
    -Leech, paroxysm

Elites
    [150] 3 hive guard
    [150] 3 hive guard
    [150] 3 hive guard

Troops
    [185] Tervigon, Catalyst, Toxin sacs, Cluster spines
    [50] 10x termagant
    [50] 10x termagant

Fast Attack
    [192] 24x Gargoyles, Adrenal glands, toxin sacs

Heavy Support
    [240] Trygon Prime
    [200] Trygon
    [200] Trygon

Total-2504

tweak it, make it perfect, I want Jy to sweat a little over it

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Don't worry, I have enough models to proxy most nid lists, with the exception of the gargolyes of which I have none. I guess I could use some hormagants as proxies and say they give cover to the monstrous creatures.

For those of you not familiar, Fenix is talking about my series of Space Wolf battles in the battle reports section in preparation for the 'Ard Boyz tournament (a 2500pt tourney in the USA). You can click on my blog for a link to most of those battles. One of my more recent battles was against a Tyrannofex Nid list (2500pts Space Wolves vs Nidzilla).

I've basically walked all over most tyranid lists that I've played against with my Space Wolves. Basically my army is like a paper to most tyranid rock armies.

I think that in helping Fenix come up with a list, it's a good idea to make it an all-comer's list that can handle just about any army. After the list is finalized, I will pit my 2500pt 'Ard Boyz Space Wolves against it and post the results in the battle report section.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I actually think the original Tfex list I came up with -- with Deathleaper and 3 carnifexes, is a superior 2500 pt list.

I'd have to have a think to come up with a different one. Could do that if asked, but it'll have to come sometime after the weekend....
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

The list is looking good and scary. I'm actually concerned about all 3 trygons popping up at the same time, with your 2 flyrants and gargoyles coming down to apply pressure. All the while, your hive guards are taking pot shots at my vehicles. I actually think this would be a tough battle for my wolves. Trygons and tyrants are the way to go against them IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    HQ
    -Leech, paroxysm
    -Leech, paroxysm

Fast Attack
    Just a little note here. Having 2x talons and old adversary is kind of redundant. I'd recommend changing out the talons for 2x TL-devourers for a little more offense to take out both troops and rhinos.

Also, 24 gargoyles is a lot. You're going to find it cumbersome to move. I'd reduce them to 20x gargoyles each. Now you have enough for the devourers and should be at 2500pts exactly.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    I actually think the original Tfex list I came up with -- with Deathleaper and 3 carnifexes, is a superior 2500 pt list.

I'd have to have a think to come up with a different one. Could do that if asked, but it'll have to come sometime after the weekend....
    That's a very nice list, but I think the one Fenix made is solid as well, just a different kind. The Trygons and HG are more than enough AT, and they handle infantry quite well on their own. Trygons in my area have a kind of pychological thing about them, people just think it's way to good and so focus on killing it, leaving the rest of the army relatively free to close in on the kill.

-K

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

old adversary was meant for the gaunts, I don't really have much experience with using OA since I usally stick with hive commander, I was contemplating the devourers as well, the S6 shots could come in handy as well, another thing I was thinking of was dropping 1 squad of HG for mr deathleaper, but again lack of experince pulled me away from him, aside from the D3 leadership drop not sure how i'd use him.

the more I think about it the more I like the devourers....
    suggested changes

[310] Hive tyrant, Wings, 2x TL brainleech devourer, hive commander, old adversary
    -Leech, paroxysm
    [310] Hive tyrant, Wings, 2x TL brainleech devourer, hive commander, old adversary
    -Leech, paroxysm

Elites
    [150] 3 hive guard
    [150] 3 hive guard
    [150] 3 hive guard

Troops
    [50] 10x termagant
    [50] 10x termagant

Fast Attack
    [160] 20x Gargoyles, Adrenal glands, toxin sacs
    [160] 20x Gargoyles, Adrenal glands, toxin sacs

Heavy Support
    [240] Trygon Prime
    [200] Trygon
    [200] Trygon

Total-2500

I kept the HG squad over the DL because late game can act as marine killers as well as the transport harraser's

I have nothing against the list you created 6, not trying to say it was any less effective, I thought I'd try to create a different style is all. I'm preferable to this one because it moves much faster but still has some kick to it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

As cool as all this is, I fear for your Tervigons + gaunts should a JoTWW make its way to them. There go all your troops!

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by abbazabba1920 View Post
    As cool as all this is, I fear for your Tervigons + gaunts should a JoTWW make its way to them. There go all your troops!
    Actually, this list need not fear Jaws so much. It has just 2 I1 monsters. That is very little compared to some of the other 2500 nid lists with 4-7 I1 monsters. If I deepstrike, I risk 230+ pts of unit (Rune Priest, 1 squad and a drop pod) to take it out, and there's a 1/3 chance it will live. That's also assuming I'm out of his Shadows range. If I have my RP's in rhinos, I'm going to have to worry about his trygons, flyrant, gargoyles before I can get close enough to jaws his tervies. On top of that, he's taking shots at my rhinos with his hive guards. While Jaws is good, the best counter to it is to minimize the number of low Initiative units as well as make it tough for the opponent to get in a good position to use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

I think that in helping Fenix come up with a list, it's a good idea to make it an all-comer's list that can handle just about any army.
    I think the list is pretty balanced, the tryants can handle infantry, and harass transports with its guns, while being able to charge, and handle most vehicles and heavyier infantry,

The goyles can tie up faster vehicles well, and with their rend rule they benefit well from OA if in proximity to the tyrant, which makes them great at handling infantry

The Hive guard and Tervigon walking firebase act great at objective camping & defending, the guards themselves are great Transport poppers/anything that spills out, I can't think of much that wouldn't mind a barrage of 18 S8 shots

3 trygons...

With the speed of the flyrant gargoyle formations flying down upon a heavy DS rush, with support fire taking up the rear, I feel this list would only really hate any faster armies ( mechdar, IG air cav) or anything that can post up considerably more bodies (orks, more nids)

and again this is my opinion of the list, any other idea's, critiques, suggestions would be more than welcome to hear. before there big debute

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

It is a very good and balanced list so far. The only thing I'd have to say is that the flyrants won't survive past turn 1 (ok, ok...1 may). They will be my #1 target. They have to be protected at all costs. You may even consider reserving 1 or both. Once they die on turn 1, then your deepstriking units will lose the benefit of 1 or maybe even both hive commander bonuses. The key here is the survivability of your flyrants.

BTW, I checked with one of the nid players (the same player who beat my blood angels in the practice 'Ard Boyz game). He runs gargoyles and the swarmlord in his 2.5K list and he told me that the gargoyles don't obscure 50% of his tyrant. I may actually have to use actual gargoyles for this match but, that's ok, I've been thinking about getting some anyways.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast