Mid-range anti-tank that isn't Hive Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Mid-range anti-tank that isn't Hive Guard

Hey all,

I'm building a 1500/2000 pt nid list that focuses on fast assault. More importantly, I'm looking for some mid range anti tank i.e. stuff to pop AV12 and less that isnt Hive Guard as I just do not like the models and theme. Do trygon primes perform alright at this? Carnifexes are possible but the HVC and Stranglethorn cannon both seem a little underwhelming. Harpies would suit the fast theme a little better but I'm still not sure how those weapons perform. Has anyone had much experience with the big nid guns against mech armies? I also have a lot of rending bugs if anything stays still long enough for me to catch it, but that is often a pretty big problem.

So, any suggestions on firepower I could use? I really just need to glance a lot of AV12 and less, enough to reliably stop it moving so I can catch and destroy it. Cheers,

Bias

And now my bitter hands cradle broken glassOf what was everything... - Black by Pearl Jam

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Heavy venom cannons are your weapon of choice. They'll suppress enemy firepower quite fine.

Harpies are a wonderful source of HVCs. The twin-linking is invaluable for when you get a bad scatter result.

Technically, HVCs are long range, however. If you really are interested in "mid-" range, then all the 'nids have are zoanthropes and brainleech devourers.

So long as you babysit zoeys with a Tyranid Prime, you can walk them upfield. They become most useful in this configuration if you also have a Tervigon around to boost their range with Onslaughts.

Brainleeches -- at S6 -- can be used to suppress armour in a pinch. High rate of fire, decent strength. But they're all but useless against AV 12. If you can get side armour shots, great. If not ... HVCs to the rescue!
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Ok, I guess I'll have a try with the Harpies then. They've always just seemed like a lot of points for what they do (suppress one tank all game if they are lucky) but they do fit well with the army and if I think about it on an army wide scale, keeping those tanks down is a pretty big bonus and they will likely end up dead anyway from rending claws. Oh and I guess I need to clarify, by "mid-range" I was refering to the strength/armour busting ability, not actually the range. My apologies on that one. Cheers,

Bias
    And now my bitter hands cradle broken glassOf what was everything... - Black by Pearl Jam

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

You could also try the Doom of Malan'tai's cataclysm power. However that ability can be rather random in how powerful it will be because it's strength is based on the Doom's wounds.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

convert your own Hive Guards, they worth the hassle.
    and if you get too much of those Av 11+ you're advised to try and use a tyrannofex, good fire magnet and tank destroyers

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Tyrannofexes are fine with their rupture cannons but in a fast assault army and at 265 points you could probably use CC monsterous creatures to take the tanks down or 'stealers and lictors with their rending attacks.

"Not even death will save you from me."
    -Diablo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Karrain View Post
    Tyrannofexes are fine with their rupture cannons but in a fast assault army and at 265 points you could probably use CC monsterous creatures to take the tanks down or 'stealers and lictors with their rending attacks.

-Diablo
    the price is steep, 530 a pair, but they take out anything! and I do mean anything.
    they draw a lot of firepower and they leave your army able to charge forward and not stalling on that stupid demon prince/tank/MC,
    in games of 2000+ I wouldn't go without 2.
    CC MC charging on a tank are:
    a) not fast
    b) asking for tarpit
    c) running in open ground with a giant "open huntin' " sing
    d) if the tank is behind hes entire army, how will you reach it?

as such, I'd take at least one unit of hive guards and at least two Rep cannon Tyranno in a 2000+ games, at 1500 I'd take 2 units of hive guard, or a unit or two of Zoan's

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

As I said before in a fast assault army Tyrannofexes don't fit. I agree they're great but not in that type of army. Also with just rupture cannons they would only really be useful for taking down tanks, monsterous creatues and Ig command squads. If the tank is behind his army deep strike a Trygon (or better yet a Prime) or something of the likes (Trygons, Carnifexes, Harpies, Mawlocs and Flyrants can all deep strike, although throwing your Tryant behind an enemy gunline isn't the best idea unless you can stop him getting shot up somehow). Also the only tanks that would really 'hide' behind an army would be a Hammerhead Gunship, Exorcist, Whirlwind or Basalisk. Apart from these cases hiding his tank away would reduce the effectiveness of the model and have less guns pointing at your horde. Alternatley you could deep strike Zoans behind the enemy lines and blast the tank's rear armour with a few warp lances.

-Diablo.

Senior Member Punching Gnoblars's Avatar
    The warp somewhere, took a left at Comorragh and got a little bit lost...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to remember that the Tyrannofexe will die a lot quicker as it costs 265 points with rupture cannons, but has the strength 10 and fires twice!
    In larger games they would be a lot better (approx 2000+). It has the potential to earn its points back quickly as it could cripple a land raider on first turn and earn its points back. Bit of a gamble but one i'd take.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Remember that it's not about "making your points back". The point of the Tfex is to wreck transports early and quickly so the tasty biomass is easy for the rest of your army to recover. Tfexes do this quite well ... and also require a considerable amount of enemy effort to neutralize. It's this specific combo that makes them worthwhile, not the fact that they can "make their points" back by killing a land raider. Not every army has land raiders in it, yet Tfexes are still useful!
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast