Killing terminators with necrons? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Killing terminators with necrons?

Ive started to play a few games against terminator heavy space marine/ Grey knight and chaos armies and am having trouble killing them. Any ideas on how to take out large groups? Also what would be the best way to go about killing abaddon the dispoiler?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Necrons have several ways of dealing with the dreaded 2+ save:

1) Heavy Destroyers. Expensive for their single shot, but due to being a jetbike you can actually keep them in range and out of enemy range which means they should be killing something pretty much every turn.

2) Massed fire. 10 Warriors rapid firing will cause an average of 6-7 wounds on T4, so they will kill average of 1 TEQ/turn. 5 destroyers will cause an average of 8-9 wounds, so they kill 1-2 TEQs/turn. As everything which relies on forcing overwhelming number of saves the mileage will vary from game to game. A lot.

3) Pariahs. Poor for most other things but brilliantly tailor-made for terminanting the terminators. 5 Pariahs firing their assault weapons and the charging in with terminators will cleave right through the 2+/5+ saves and cause an average of 5 terminators before the terminators can strike back. Needless to say, it will devastate most TEQs.

4) C'tan. 'nuff said. Very costly, though.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Terminators are very mean against Necron armies. 2+ saves are hard to get past and the amount of power weapons is just insane.
    The best way to deal with them is probably trying to avoid them. Necron armies should maximize their mobility (jetbikes, veil of darkness, monolith teleportation) and just try to leave the terminators stranded somewhere. Immobilize any land raider transports with massed glancing hits from destroyer fire and then leave them. Terminators are few and slow, that's their weakness. Exploit it.
    (Always remember that you don't have to kill the enemy to win the game. Focus on the enemy scoring units in objective missions instead and on keeping alive. In kill points try to shoot some rhinos and stay alive. Necrons have a tough time trying to annihilate the enemy, so take a different approach to victory.)

If you really need to kill them, warscythes are, like Polaria said, wonderful weapons for this task. The pariahs' problem, though, is their initiative: they will quickly die before they have a chance to strike against power weapon or lightning claw terminators (as opposed to thunder hammer or power fist terminators). Therefore I want to add the dreaded destroyer lord with warscythe and phase shifter.
    Cheaper than the pariahs or the terminators, and he strikes simultaneously and is more or less immune to the S4 weapons which have only a very small chance of wounding him and then have to get past the invulnerable save. His big plus is that he can strike anytime, anywhere, and it's much easier to get him to where you need him without being shot dead first (which usually happens to pariahs - hardly ever seen them make it into close combat). Unlike the pariahs he is also a wonderful offensive tool, posing a threat to virtually everything like the pariahs, but moving at amazing speed. Very good for putting psychological pressure on your opponent with the ability to exploit every small mistake.
    A great addition to any Necron list, not only anti-terminator tailored ones. I can only recommend.

Pariahs, unfortunately, are a points sink because they are so easily killed and always a priority target. They do not count towards your phase out number and thus will be pretty much useless in most games except for drawing much enemy fire within the first two game turns. I must also disagree with Polaria here: his numbers are a bit off. Even five pariahs on the charge firing their weapons and striking first will only kill 4 terminators on average, not 5.
    Heavy destroyers can be useful overall, but their problem is the same: a points sink because they have little reliability (only a single shot that can too easily miss or fail to do any harm) and are easily wiped out due to their small numbers.
    Massed fire is always an option and definitely the Necron way, and the only "dedicated" anti-terminator weapon/unit I would recommend is the destroyer lord for the reasons mentioned above. He will help you in any case: terminators or no...
    Last edited by Red Archer; July 1st, 2010 at 14:04.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Thanks Red Archer, since none of my friends run Lightning Claw terminators I tend to forget them... Its very much true that Pariahs die against LCs a bit too fast to be any use. Against Powerfist or Thunderhammer+Lightning Shield variant they are wonderfull though. Destroyer Lord with Scythe is, on te other hand, good against Lightning Claw-types but tends to die against Powerfists or Hammers.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    Thanks Red Archer, since none of my friends run Lightning Claw terminators I tend to forget them...
    I was also thinking about Chaos and Grey Knight terminators mentioned by the OP, which all tend to have power weapons that strike at higher initiative.

Destroyer Lord with Scythe is, on te other hand, good against Lightning Claw-types but tends to die against Powerfists or Hammers.
    Very true! But the destroyer lord with phase shifter takes 14.4 power fist or thunder hammer attacks to die on average, or 18 Grey Knight nemesis force weapon attacks - which, both, is quite a lot. Since the destroyer lord is pretty much guaranteed the charge, he is also pretty much guaranteed to survive the first round of combat and has a decent chance to also survive the second and win combat if you shoot one of the bad guys before you assault.
    Have him accompanied by a wing of wraiths who care little about power fists and thunder hammers and always strike first against any kind of terminators and you have a unit that can definitely take on a unit of terminators without fear.

And yet the best way to deal with them is to avoid them with a mobile army...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Archer View Post
    I was also thinking about Chaos and Grey Knight terminators mentioned by the OP, which all tend to have power weapons that strike at higher initiative.
    Ain't Grey Knight Termies psykers? I don't have codexes here but if they are Pariahs would pretty much mess them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Archer View Post
    And yet the best way to deal with them is to avoid them with a mobile army...
    True enough. Take enought Destroyers and you can shoot down everything else while evading the Termies completely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

531 (x8)

Ain't Grey Knight Termies psykers? I don't have codexes here but if they are Pariahs would pretty much mess them up.
    They can buy a psychic power, but are not classed as psykers generally. So if they don't (and I definitely wouldn't because I don't see much use in it and it is extremely dangerous to your own unit - I'm not a Daemonhunters player, though) Psychic Abomination will not affect them.
    You can (if you register a free account) officially download their codex from GW right here, by the way.

The pariahs would also still have the problem of "getting there". They are slow and vulnerable, that is their problem. They are also not guaranteed the charge at any rate, and without it they are pretty weak (the charging destroyer lord on his own almost rivals them). And every wound they suffer reduces their effectiveness. T6, 4+ invulnerable save and jetbike movement really help a lot. Pariahs are a mighty tool, but unfortunately for their fragility and slowness (can't be teleported) they are heavily over-priced.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Deceiver....not Nightbringer! Here's why, I played a game 2 nights ago where I was surrounded. 6 Termies+Vulcan, Ironclad dread, and 10 assault marines. Moved my Deceiver over to the ironclad and popped it cleanly while moving my monolith to block the path of the termies. The assault marines came in and I assaulted them with the Deceiver taking a couple out...HOWEVER the best part was being able to disengage the Deceiver in his turn and move towards the Termies. This special move helps in two ways. One I rapid fired the assault marines remaining to death and assaulted the Termies (with TH+SS). Being the Ctan ignores all saves including invul...is insane!

The reason not the Nightbringer is simply because he would have been stuck in CC and his termies would have wiped 2 full squads if I didn't have his versatility. Deceiver single handedly took out about 1k pts alone.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

+ Reply to Thread