Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hi there. I recently got started with 40k, and have chosen to play da orks. A few friends of mine play at school, and I couldn't resist the temptation of rolling dozens of dice, and then flicking their models off the table with some stupid and aptly orkish expression on my face.
That said, the following are in my possession:
30 slugga boyz;
20 shoota boyz;
10 'ard boyz;
1 warboss (from AoBR);
3 deffkoptas (also from AoBR);
and about 10 nobz with misc. equipment.
I am looking to make an army of 1500 points. I really want to include a battlewagon with a deffrolla for some transport, as well as a kannon and bigshoota. Beyond that, I am in the dark.
So, which army composition approach will best compliment my standing army? I can convert some slugga boyz into shoota boyz, but as many slugga boyz are from AoBR, I'm short on shootas.
Any advice at all, with a mind for best bang-for-$ as priority, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The best bang for the buck is the Assault on Black Reach set (as you already know) and ebay, especially for normal boyz.
The list looks like a good start, as you already have 60 boyz. Here's what I'd get (or do):
1. The ard boyz either need a transport, like a trukk, or they need to just be normal boyz, and combined with the other squad, to make 2 units of 20. Ard boyz just don't make sense on foot.
2. Nobz are even worse on foot. You need to get them a transport (that battlewagon you're describing would be nice), although a trukk can also work. Otherwise you could also use them as kommandos instead of nobz, as they're equipped exactly the same.
3. You might want to consider a unit of grots. They're great for standing in front, to give the units behind them a cover save, and they can also sit on an objective for you, allowing your more valuable troops to press on forward.
4. Although the deffkoptas are nice, you could use a little more anti-vehicle shooting. I'd consider either getting some lootas or big gunz kannons. You can use grots and imperial guard heavy weapons kits instead of the official big gunz model.
5. I'd get one of the nobz kits so you can put some powerklaws and bosspoles into the units of boyz.
Finally, have you checked out this post? http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...00-basics.html
A few people, including myself, put it together as a basic guide for new Ork players.
Thanks for the link, it's been helpful. I've got some more questions, though!
If I were to use my nobz as kommandos, how would I use them? Would I need Boss Snikrot?
Also, if I were to take say, 10 lootas, as well as 3 big gun kannon, that would take care of any armor, right?
Finally, if I converted my nobz to create kommandos, what would I transport in my battlewagon? 30 slugga boyz won't fit, and how does transporting 20 shoota boyz benefit me?
No, yes, and yes.
Snikkrot is nice, especially in larger games, but you don't 'need' him if you don't have the points for him. A unit of 9-10 kommandos w/2 burnas or rokkits and a nob w/powerklaw and bosspole is a very nice unit.
Yes, that's a very good amount of anti-armor at the lower point levels. I'd also consider giving the big gunz kannons some ammo runts, to make sure they hit when you really need them to.
20 shoota boyz in a battlewagon is one of my all time favorite Ork units, and is definitely my favorite Ork troop unit. Slugga boyz also work, but I prefer the versatility of shoota boyz in this case. Just be sure to give them a powerklaw and bosspole.
Thanks very much, you've been a great help. Hope you have a good one.